onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

This will be a tough game Stevenage have being getting some excellent results,they are strong in defence and have a goal threat.The Walsall keeper kept them at bay on Saturday,after a howler from the Stevenage keeper to give Walsall a goal.We will have to be at our best to get a result,whilst keeping a tab on Chris Lines.I would not be overly disappointed with a draw.

Advert

Guest Vale at home
18 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Would like to see Swanny given a run, but I am happy to leave it to DC.

Yes . so would I .I do agree . I  I do hope DC . Can get vale working . And it will be a had game tomorrow. 

Not sure to what extent Conlon had a poor game and how much it was the change of formation. Matching 3 in central midfield with a 2 meant he was really sitting in a holding role alongside Joyce. He's a lot better picking the ball up just inside the opposition half than sitting 10 metres infront of his own penalty area. Apart from a dog awful pass his play in a holding role was pretty steady but unspectacular; which is what you want if a player is playing as a holding midfield player.

We haven't drawn much this year,  as someone pointed out. It is a perennial problem in football that you spend preseason working on the faults of the previous season; only for the opposite fault to emerge during the new season. One of Foyle's season we pretty much won everything at home and lost away. They spent most of preseason working on shape for away games. We had a fantastic away record and were dire at home.

20 hours ago, 1 said:

Rodney and Guthrie together is not enough of a goal threat. Rodney can hold the ball up and put himself about, so we don’t need 2 to do that. Swan has to play.

Rodney has shown he can't hold the ball up when playing up front which is why Guthrie was brought in.

A very interesting press conference like how he answers questions can see why he is successful .

Looking forwards to this team selection .

Certainly hope they play as they did for the 90 the way they did for 55 mins v L Orient while playing 4-4-2  ,were committed and good the only thing missing was a goal which should have come from Hurst along with the goal what did come .

Judging by what he is saying there certain players who are not fit enough ,I felt that as the game went on v L Orient that was indeed the case with 4 of the 11 struggling keep up .

Going be really tough but I know we have a manager who is doing everything he can get us winning games and I hope he does .

Be changes i feel going by the interview ,its good keep everyone guessing.what the teams going be .

18 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

A very interesting press conference like how he answers questions can see why he is successful .

Looking forwards to this team selection .

Certainly hope they play as they did for the 90 the way they did for 55 mins v L Orient while playing 4-4-2  ,were committed and good the only thing missing was a goal which should have come from Hurst along with the goal what did come .

Judging by what he is saying there certain players who are not fit enough ,I felt that as the game went on v L Orient that was indeed the case with 4 of the 11 struggling keep up .

Going be really tough but I know we have a manager who is doing everything he can get us winning games and I hope he does .

Be changes i feel going by the interview ,its good keep everyone guessing.what the teams going be .

I do agree with most of this but a lot of new managers come out with the "fitness" comments

10 minutes ago, ginge said:

I do agree with most of this but a lot of new managers come out with the "fitness" comments

Very true about the fitness comment , guarantee its what every new manager says. Interesting thought that if each manager gets the team fitter than the last we must soon end up with a team of Supermen.

Never happens though does it.

In terms of fitness you’ve got the balancing act of easing players in after injury, like Gibbo, Worrall, Manny and Monty for example. We’ve let ourselves down by rushing players back sometimes and that’s probably because they’re key to how we play. Even a Rodney looks to be struggling a bit too. But It isn’t helped by the fact that there’s no reserve games for anyone to play in, so even those not getting many minutes in the starting 11 can get their match fitness and sharpness up. 

On 21/02/2021 at 17:48, Andy Proctor said:

Stevenage have won 3 of there last 4 away games. We have failed to beat stevenage at home in a league game our only home victory against them was in the fa cup.

They have signed a few good players recently norris a decent striker from Colchester and lines who we all know can be a good player. 

We could do with a win but a draw wouldn't be a bad result. If worral has an ankle injury then I cant see him playing.

Isn’t failing beating Stevenage largely  down to the fact we play football for 10 minutes and watch amateur dramatics for the rest?

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

In terms of fitness you’ve got the balancing act of easing players in after injury, like Gibbo, Worrall, Manny and Monty for example. We’ve let ourselves down by rushing players back sometimes and that’s probably because they’re key to how we play. Even a Rodney looks to be struggling a bit too. But It isn’t helped by the fact that there’s no reserve games for anyone to play in, so even those not getting many minutes in the starting 11 can get their match fitness and sharpness up. 

DC will also need to assess whether the pitch is contributing to any lack of full fitness being maintained.

12 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Very true about the fitness comment , guarantee its what every new manager says. Interesting thought that if each manager gets the team fitter than the last we must soon end up with a team of Supermen.

Never happens though does it.

Maybe fitness drops off as a managers tenure runs out ?

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Not sure to what extent Conlon had a poor game and how much it was the change of formation. Matching 3 in central midfield with a 2 meant he was really sitting in a holding role alongside Joyce. He's a lot better picking the ball up just inside the opposition half than sitting 10 metres infront of his own penalty area. Apart from a dog awful pass his play in a holding role was pretty steady but unspectacular; which is what you want if a player is playing as a holding midfield player.

We haven't drawn much this year,  as someone pointed out. It is a perennial problem in football that you spend preseason working on the faults of the previous season; only for the opposite fault to emerge during the new season. One of Foyle's season we pretty much won everything at home and lost away. They spent most of preseason working on shape for away games. We had a fantastic away record and were dire at home.

Conlon lost possession a lot but I’m not really concerned I think it was just one of those games for him. I’m sure he’ll return to his normal self tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, ginge said:

Id prefer Swan and Rodney

Same here, definitely think it's worth a go.  For me the worry with Guthrie is that he is not getting into any positions to miss those chances, I am not sure how many efforts on goal he has had but I would not think many.  Yes this service is not great but at least you see Rodney with attempts.  

Archived