onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020 (2021) - England

TylerB

Advert

41 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

No way should this be on.  A tournament spread over several countries during what will hopefully be the back end of a pandemic.  I would rather cancel this and get my life back than risk this going ahead.

On a football note, England have gone backwards since the World Cup, mainly because our promising players can't get consistent game time at the top clubs.

Think the tournament should go ahead but for me it should be played in one country, similar to how the final stages of the Champions League and Europa Leagues were played last year, all in one country.  There is no way that this should be staged in 13 different countries or whatever is planned.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

No reason why not. Became a bit of a joke player at United, however looks completely different at West Ham. Issue for him would be I just don’t see who I would make the squad over. 

Well Southgate loves him and to be fair, Lingard has always done well in an England shirt even if not performing at United. Barkley had a good start at Villa be returning to type so he will probably be out the picture. I see Lingard as an alternative to Mount as they have similar games in some aspects, such as pressing and energy. I actually like Lingard more than most, despite him playing for a club I dislike and his cringe inducing goal celebrations.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

England's provisional 33-man squad for Euro 2020. 

Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale; Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White; Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse; Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins.

Omission of Fikayo Tomori baffles me. Gone to Milan and done pretty well adjusting to a new league and language. Commended by Maldini. Offers pace at CB and could be a useful player against the likes of Mbappe. 

Alas; bang average plodders at centre half called up on the basis that they've played some minutes at a mid-table Prem club. 

Sancho should be starting as one, he's excellent, and two, he's our only purpose-built RW, which then leaves Foden, Grealish, and Sterling fighting for the LW position with Kane in-between. 

Two keepers who have been relegated! Don't look strong enough in central midfield to win the tournament. Need to patch with wide men and get the ball up to the front men quickly. Actually, that's what we did last World Cup and somehow got to the semi finals.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Omission of Fikayo Tomori baffles me. Gone to Milan and done pretty well adjusting to a new league and language. Commended by Maldini. Offers pace at CB and could be a useful player against the likes of Mbappe. 

Alas; bang average plodders at centre half called up on the basis that they've played some minutes at a mid-table Prem club. 

Sancho should be starting as one, he's excellent, and two, he's our only purpose-built RW, which then leaves Foden, Grealish, and Sterling fighting for the LW position with Kane in-between. 

He has left out the traffic cone; Eric Dier. He has left out the traffic cone; Eric Dier. Just got the dreamer; John Stones. And the trip hazzard; Walker. He'll bring in McGuire on crutches as well. Should be fine.

We've arguably got the best attacking talent in the tournament (bar France, maybe) and home advantage should be a major help (with every game bar the Quarters at Wembley if we top our group), but IMO we don't have a chance of winning it as 1) the defence is nowhere near good enough to cope with the top 8 teams and 2) the manager, instead of utilising that attacking talent, will put more emphasis on what we do without the ball than what we can do with it, will be ultra-cautious and play :-

3 centre-backs (2 of which will be Stones & Walker, who are both a liability at times)

2 full backs (as wing-backs) - and probably not TAA either, in his best role

AND 2 holding midfielders - one of which will either be a half-fit Henderson, or Kalvin Phillips....don't rate him at all at this level - his backers are banging on that he played all 3 of the World Cup qualifiers in March, yet against the only half-decent opposition, Poland, he looked out of his depth and got caught in possession and gave the ball away cheaply. Bellingham, despite being only 17, is already a class above the other central midfielders and showed in the Champions League v City that he can influence games and excel at the very top level. Has Southgate got the balls to play him?!

On the plus side, I'm really looking forward to seeing Foden on this stage - potential Player Of The Tournament?

Hope I'm completely wrong and we just outscore the opposition and go all the way?!

......."4-3, we'll have to win 4-3, we'll have to win 4-3.....!" 😆

When I've seen him in the Champions Lge, Jude Bellingham looked the ball playing, game controlling midfield player that England have been missing for the past umpteen years, hope Southgate plays him in the two friendlies before the tournament to show what he can do.

How many times does Southgate need to see Jesse Lingard in an England shirt to realize he is not good enough at International level.

Surprised Maddison  hasn't been included in the initial 33 man squad.

3 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

When I've seen him in the Champions Lge, Jude Bellingham looked the ball playing, game controlling midfield player that England have been missing for the past umpteen years, hope Southgate plays him in the two friendlies before the tournament to show what he can do.

How many times does Southgate need to see Jesse Lingard in an England shirt to realize he is not good enough at International level.

Surprised Maddison  hasn't been included in the initial 33 man squad.

Maddison is not fully match fit,  he never recovered from his injury layoff.

Archived