onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020 (2021) - England

TylerB

I know we're still a fair few months away, and there's plenty to discuss closer to home currently. 

Are we capable of winning it with a bit of luck? Will Southgate hold us back? Or are we simply not good enough, or not experienced enough perhaps? What would your ideal 11 look like?

Personally I'm as optimistic for England's chances as I've been for a long time. I'm not sure Southgate is capable of leading us to glory, as likeable a chap as he is, as he seems to worry more about us not conceding too many instead of focusing what we do well, which should be attacking. But I really don't think we're as bad at the back as generally made out at the moment. We clearly don't have a John Terry or a Rio Ferdinand, but the re-emergence of John Stones who hasn't put a foot wrong for a while now is great news for our national side, while Ben Godfrey has looked a very good purchase at the back for Everton these last couple of months or so. It's also been said for a while that we are light in the middle of the park in regards to flair and creativity. But Phil Foden is technically good enough to not look out of place for any club or International side in the world, while Jude Bellingham is also a brilliant prospect, though this summer might come a bit too soon for him. But I look at us in each department and don't really see a major weak point other than th goalkeepers. Pickford has generally done fine for England. But he doesn't exactly give you complete confidence. Pope is a good shot stopper but struggles with his kicking, which means Southgate is unlikely to pick him, while Henderson is probably the best of the lot overall but needs to oust De Gea first from the United side.

Goalkeepers

Pickford, Pope, Henderson, McCarthy, Ramsdale

Right-backs

Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, James, Wan-Bissaka, Walker-Peters, Lamptey

Centre-backs

Maguire, Stones, Mings, Gomes, Keane, Coady, Godfrey, Tarkowski, Dunk, Konsa, White

Left-backs

Chilwell, Shaw, Saka, Cresswell, Bertrand

Defensive midfielders

Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Dier

Midfielders

Mount, Bellingham, Barkley, Ward-Prowse, Winks, Lingard

Attacking midfielders/Wingers

Sterling, Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Maddison, Hudson-Odoi, Barnes

Strikers

Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Ings, Abraham, Greenwood, Bamford, Watkins

I don't think any country as such an abundance of riches at right-back, and not many in the attacking department either. We're absolutely stacked!

If I was to pick an 11 right now using in-form players and also trying to keep a realistic balance in the side, it would look something like this:

Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Mings, Shaw, Rice, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling, Kane (4-3-3)

Obviously there's not a chance Southgate's 11 will look anything like that attacking though! It will be Foden or Grealish. And the likes of Maguire, Henderson and Rashford will start if fit.

Advert

18 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I know we're still a fair few months away, and there's plenty to discuss closer to home currently. 

Are we capable of winning it with a bit of luck? Will Southgate hold us back? Or are we simply not good enough, or not experienced enough perhaps? What would your ideal 11 look like?

Personally I'm as optimistic for England's chances as I've been for a long time. I'm not sure Southgate is capable of leading us to glory, as likeable a chap as he is, as he seems to worry more about us not conceding too many instead of focusing what we do well, which should be attacking. But I really don't think we're as bad at the back as generally made out at the moment. We clearly don't have a John Terry or a Rio Ferdinand, but the re-emergence of John Stones who hasn't put a foot wrong for a while now is great news for our national side, while Ben Godfrey has looked a very good purchase at the back for Everton these last couple of months or so. It's also been said for a while that we are light in the middle of the park in regards to flair and creativity. But Phil Foden is technically good enough to not look out of place for any club or International side in the world, while Jude Bellingham is also a brilliant prospect, though this summer might come a bit too soon for him. But I look at us in each department and don't really see a major weak point other than th goalkeepers. Pickford has generally done fine for England. But he doesn't exactly give you complete confidence. Pope is a good shot stopper but struggles with his kicking, which means Southgate is unlikely to pick him, while Henderson is probably the best of the lot overall but needs to oust De Gea first from the United side.

Goalkeepers

Pickford, Pope, Henderson, McCarthy, Ramsdale

Right-backs

Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, James, Wan-Bissaka, Walker-Peters, Lamptey

Centre-backs

Maguire, Stones, Mings, Gomes, Keane, Coady, Godfrey, Tarkowski, Dunk, Konsa, White

Left-backs

Chilwell, Shaw, Saka, Cresswell, Bertrand

Defensive midfielders

Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Dier

Midfielders

Mount, Bellingham, Barkley, Ward-Prowse, Winks, Lingard

Attacking midfielders/Wingers

Sterling, Sancho, Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Maddison, Hudson-Odoi, Barnes

Strikers

Kane, Calvert-Lewin, Ings, Abraham, Greenwood, Bamford, Watkins

I don't think any country as such an abundance of riches at right-back, and not many in the attacking department either. We're absolutely stacked!

If I was to pick an 11 right now using in-form players and also trying to keep a realistic balance in the side, it would look something like this:

Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Mings, Shaw, Rice, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling, Kane (4-3-3)

Obviously there's not a chance Southgate's 11 will look anything like that attacking though! It will be Foden or Grealish. And the likes of Maguire, Henderson and Rashford will start if fit.

We’ll do really well till we come across a good side 

3 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

We’ll do really well till we come across a good side 

We have the team to beat really good sides if the right team is selected. Top sides might fancy their chances of attacking us, goes without saying. But no defense would look forward to facing the likes of Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish and Foden etc. I'd probably make us dark horses. You'll have your usual favourites, France, Belgium and Portugal. Then I'd put us on a same sort of level as the likes of Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Spain. We have as much attacking talent as any other side.

Don't think there is a chance that a team like this would be picked but my team for what it is worth would be;

Pope

Alexander-Arnold  Stones  Maguire  Chilwell

Henderson   Rice

Sancho  Foden   Grealish

Kane

I genuinely think we have a quality side if used correctly, definitely an upgrade on 2018.  Alexander-Arnold and Chilwell are better than Trippier and Young,Foden and Grealish certainly better than Lingard and Alli.  There is quality not included there in the likes of Sterling, Rashford, Maddison, Mount, Barnes, Saka.  I am still not sure though that Southgate is positive enough to really go for it and we will just end up with a cautious safety first approach.

9 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Don't think there is a chance that a team like this would be picked but my team for what it is worth would be;

Pope

Alexander-Arnold  Stones  Maguire  Chilwell

Henderson   Rice

Sancho  Foden   Grealish

Kane

I genuinely think we have a quality side if used correctly, definitely an upgrade on 2018.  Alexander-Arnold and Chilwell are better than Trippier and Young,Foden and Grealish certainly better than Lingard and Alli.  There is quality not included there in the likes of Sterling, Rashford, Maddison, Mount, Barnes, Saka.  I am still not sure though that Southgate is positive enough to really go for it and we will just end up with a cautious safety first approach.

Southgate will definitely be cautious. Probably stems from the fact that he was obviously a defender, and a decent one it has to be said, himself.

Also, although he's massively talented and will come again, Arnold has been brutal this season for Liverpool, and I'm not convinced he's the right man for that right-back spot even before this season. Defensively he's abysmal and I think James or Trippier would offer a better balance for the time being. I had Saka in my side but that would probably be too attacking, and it's not his best position. But he's been that good and consistent for the Gunners this season I just wanted to find a place for him.

We're as good as anyone attacking-wise but Safety-First Southgate will hold us back by playing both Rice & Henderson, and will leave out our flair players Grealish & Foden (who should be the 2nd name on the teamsheet, after Kane), in favour of his new pet, Mount (deja-vu after he did the same previously with Jesse Lingard, another favourite of his from his under-21 days).

Disagree with Beechy about the defence being strong as I think our centre-backs are massively inadequate at the very highest level. Maguire is OK in the air, but John Stones is, and always will be, a liability and a f00k-up waiting-to-happen against top-notch opposition.

Also, Pickford, despite doing well for England, is not a top international keeper, and is another area of concern/weakness (and Southgate WILL pick him).

So, basically its going to be a case of :-

"4-3......we'll have to win 4-3,

...we'll have to win 4-3,

...we'll have to win 4-3!" 😂

4 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

We're as good as anyone attacking-wise but Safety-First Southgate will hold us back by playing both Rice & Henderson, and will leave out our flair players Grealish & Foden in favour of his new pet, Mount (deja-vu after he did the same previously with Jesse Lingard, another favourite of his from his under-21 days).

Disagree with Beechy about the defence being strong as I think our centre-backs are massively inadequate at the very highest level. Maguire is OK in the air, but John Stones is, and always will be, a liability and a f00k-up waiting-to-happen against top-notch opposition.

Also, Pickford, despite doing well for England, is not a top international keeper, and is another area of concern/weakness (and Southgate WILL pick him).

So, basically its going to be a case of :-

"4-3......we'll have to win 4-3,

...we'll have to win 4-3,

...we'll have to win 4-3!" 😂

Never said we were strong! But I don't think we're hopeless as long as we don't pick Maguire, which Southgate will. Stones plus one from Mings, Gomez or Godfrey is decent enough. Though clearly no Terry and Ferdinand. Also Stones looks a different player this season. If he can continue to cut out those brain farts than he's one of the best defenders of his type around.

Mount is a very good player in his own right, I'm not sure why suddenly he gets as much stick as he does. There's no reasonhe and Foden can't or won't player together in the same side.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Never said we were strong! But I don't think we're hopeless as long as we don't pick Maguire, which Southgate will. Stones plus one from Mings, Gomez or Godfrey is decent enough. Though clearly no Terry and Ferdinand. Also Stones looks a different player this season. If he can continue to cut out those brain farts than he's one of the best defenders of his type around.

Mount is a very good player in his own right, I'm not sure why suddenly he gets as much stick as he does. There's no reasonhe and Foden can't or won't player together in the same side.

I re-read it & you didn't say we were strong at the back. Apologies.

Its a real pity that Joe Gomez hasn't had another full season alongside van Dijk, as he would have been an absolute shoe-in for me, to play alongside Maguire.

Mount might be a decent player at Premier level, but is he going to impact games or hurt the opposition at the highest international standard? IMO no, and yet he will get picked ahead of others that could do (Grealish and possibly even Foden), as Southgate will stick with a team that includes Rice & Henderson, (Kane & Stirling are 100% certs) so the remaining options in midfield are then limited, and Gorgeous Gareth has his favourites in Mount & Rashford.

34 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Re-read it & you didn't say we were strong at the back. Apologies.

Its a real pity that Joe Gomez hasn't had another full season alongside van Dijk, as he would have been an absolute shoe-in for me, to play alongside Maguire.

Mount might be a decent player at Premier level, but is he going to impact games or hurt the opposition at the highest international standard? IMO no, and yet he will get picked ahead of others that could do (Grealish and possibly even Foden), as Southgate will stick with a team that includes Rice & Henderson, (Kane & Stirling are 100% certs) so the remaining options in midfield are then limited, and Gorgeous Gareth has his favourites in Mount & Rashford.

I don't really think Mount has to be seen as an impact player. He'll play the Henderson role, but has more goals and assists in him, being a bit more attack minded. But Southgate will be picking him on his work-rate and pressing merits. I think Thomas Tuchel has quickly become a fan after leaving him out of his very first game in charge of Chelsea. I still like Ross Barkley myself even if he's still inconsistent. But he's generally done well in an England shirt and if he keeps his form up for Villa for the remainder of the season he has to be in contention. There's a ton of options in most positions to be fair. Curtis Jones can't be too far away from his thinking either as he's generally done well in a poor Liverpool effort this season.

So much attacking talent yet so little defensively. The positive for me is that stones and shaw have come back into form. If we pick the likes of grealish and Foden from the start of games with dangerous players like sancho and rashford on the bench we will give anyone a game. I just feel we’re always a mistake waiting to happen. Don’t think we will win anything with Pickford in nets either. 

15 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I don't really think Mount has to be seen as an impact player. He'll play the Henderson role, but has more goals and assists in him, being a bit more attack minded. But Southgate will be picking him on his work-rate and pressing merits.

That's the thing though - I reckon Southgate will pick Henderson (in the Henderson role! 😆) with Rice as well, but will then also choose Mount in a further forward role, where there are far better, more talented options IMO.

Who knows though, maybe Gareth will button-up his waistcoat too tight that it sends him light-headed enough to pick our best and most dangerous attacking options?! 🤣

If Southgate does go for Rice, Henderson and Mount then he needs sectioning! They are all very good players, but you should be trying to get both Foden and Grealish in your team, at the very least one of them.

Rice always looks slow and sluggish in an England shirt to me and yet whenever I see him for West Ham he's an 8/10 every time. He's certainly an upgrade on Eric Dier though.

Archived