Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

4 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

The Valiant2001 Charter, drafted by Charles Machin, listed ten points:[8]

One: Set aside a £1.5 million first-team budget

Two: Introduce supporter-friendly ticket pricing

Three: Complete the Lorne Street stand

Four: Sort out the pitch (install under-soil heating)

Five: Make savings of over £80,000

Six: Make Port Vale a fan-friendly football club

Seven: Make Port Vale a community-friendly football club

Eight: Run the club openly and democratically (at least 2 supporter-directors on the board)

Nine: Improve the club's relations

Ten: Be open, honest, professional and accountable

One out of ten ain’t bad.

Advert

Just checked and those stats were correct,the last 2 home games we have created 33 chances with 10 on target,now the defence is solid we know that and we have clearly created chances which our powder puff forwards haven't put away,is that DC's fault? i aren't sure

1 minute ago, Eddie Ford said:

And we have made the opposition keeper work in those last 2 games?

Just going off what those stats said,i haven't re-watched the games and counted myself as i wouldn't put myself through it again and i know you will say they cant be true but if it said we had zero shots then i am sure you would of been quick to bring them up

As for working the keeper i doubt it,most i remember were like pass backs to the keeper but again is that DC's fault? we do seem to be creating but cant score for toffee

Not read through all the posts but as it's titled "Darrell Clarke", I wanted to post my thoughts.

When you come in as a new manager you have to focus on the immediate issues. If you think back to when he joined (less than a month ago) we were shipping goals. He has stemmed the flow of goals we were conceding & you have to say we look better at the back. You're never going to pick up points if you're shipping 2+ goals every game, so I think his initial priority to make us more water tight, was the right one.

The problem of course now, is that we cannot score for toffee. Let's break down his games:

1) 1-1. Solid point at Orient in his first game. Hurst fluffed chance of the match first half.

2) 0-0 with Stevenage. We were poor but I do think people underestimated Stevenage. They are confident & are one of the form teams in the division since turn of the year.

3) 0-1 v Cambridge. I thought we played well. We matched thrm for most of the game (they were top of the league) A wonder goal wins it for them. Guthrie misses a 1v1 first half.

4) 1-0 away at Salford. Absolutely nothing in the game. Zilch. Rodney fluffs his lines they break & score.

5) 3-2 at Cheltenham. Another game against a side sitting top. Appalling from the Vale. Scott Brown howler set the tone. We still manged to bag a couple of goals to reduce the deficit to 1. Our poorest performance under Clarke, we looked miles off it.

6) 0-0 v Oldham. Dominated the game from start to finish. Play that match another 100 time & we win 95 times. Conlon inside of the post across the line then out. Could've been 5 or 6. Some poor finishing but also some very bad luck.

7) 0-1 v Bolton. Absolutely nothing in the game yet again. Against a team unbeaten in 10 (winning 8 of them) Created barely anything but neither did they. Conlon attempt first half deflects out for a corner. They have the same kind of shot 2nd half & he scuffs it into the bottom corner.

Now there's no hiding that 3 points from an opening 7 games is awful. However, you have to look at the context for me. We're certainly a tighter unit & we've lost 4 games by the odd goal. In 3 of those games (all bar Cheltenham) there was absolutely nothing in the games. 2 of those games v top of the league & the other at a side who won Checkatrade v Pompey yesterday & around playoff positions in the league.

A point away at Orient in game 1 is a decent point. A point at home v Stevenage where we didn't play well is frustrating but I'll reiterate, they are a team in good form. Then the Oldham game... we should be sat here with 3 points from that one.

What I'm trying to say is, with a slight change in fortunes & with some "rub of the green", we could and probably should be sat here with 8 points minimum from those 7 games. 

Clarke knows what's required. He knows we need to be scoring goals but you can't fix everything in less than a month. He's had a tough run of games, a tough run of fortune & has inherited a terrible squad. He needs time & I honestly have faith in the bloke to turn things around. I like the way he speaks & carries himself & he's the kind of manager I'd play for.

I'd also note, Walsall... the team he left 7 games ago have gone on to pick up 2 points in the 7 games since he left. No team has a divine right to a new manager bounce & we're not the only side to go without. 

As he said in the fans forum the other night, let's all get behind the team. Let's stop with the negativity & back the bloke. He's doing everything he can to make sure we pick up enough points between now & the end of the season & we have to trust him with that. Take the crap from your Stokie mates, take all the banter, accept everything that gets thrown your way after every match.

The bloke has had less than a month in charge. Get behind him & back the club. UTV.

17 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Not sure how true as not checked stats and stuff but haven't we created something like 33 chances in 2 games and 10 or 12 on target?? before you say it thats not me sticking up for DC as i am as annoyed as you are at the moment,i have never said he was the best choice because for me he wasn't and maybe isn't,my argument is the constant slating of him since day one... for me at this moment in time in the position we are in i have chose to back him and hope that he quickly manages to turn it around

A fit Pope would have had a hat trick V Oldham.

The signings have been poor for many many years. I can’t be alone in thinking that when we sign players, I’d look at what they had done previously and used to wonder how on earth they were still in league football? 

The standards of signings have fallen off a cliff. 

Even in the worst times of the Brown era we had players like Grant, Jerome Thomas, Ryan Taylor etc who are world’s away from what we have signed since and even they were not that competitive. 

When we last had Robinson, he looked dreadful in league 1 and that was in comparison to guys like Danny N’Guessan who had been seriously underwhelming. 

27 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Just checked and those stats were correct,the last 2 home games we have created 33 chances with 10 on target,now the defence is solid we know that and we have clearly created chances which our powder puff forwards haven't put away,is that DC's fault? i aren't sure

All in once game though. Created nothing against Bolton. Created chances and missed them against a side who conceded 4 at home yesterday and had just sacked their manager the day before 

In the Oldham game we certainly created chances, didn’t make the keeper work but that’s more down to them carthorses up front than the manager 

24 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Not read through all the posts but as it's titled "Darrell Clarke", I wanted to post my thoughts.

When you come in as a new manager you have to focus on the immediate issues. If you think back to when he joined (less than a month ago) we were shipping goals. He has stemmed the flow of goals we were conceding & you have to say we look better at the back. You're never going to pick up points if you're shipping 2+ goals every game, so I think his initial priority to make us more water tight, was the right one.

The problem of course now, is that we cannot score for toffee. Let's break down his games:

1) 1-1. Solid point at Orient in his first game. Hurst fluffed chance of the match first half.

2) 0-0 with Stevenage. We were poor but I do think people underestimated Stevenage. They are confident & are one of the form teams in the division since turn of the year.

3) 0-1 v Cambridge. I thought we played well. We matched thrm for most of the game (they were top of the league) A wonder goal wins it for them. Guthrie misses a 1v1 first half.

4) 1-0 away at Salford. Absolutely nothing in the game. Zilch. Rodney fluffs his lines they break & score.

5) 3-2 at Cheltenham. Another game against a side sitting top. Appalling from the Vale. Scott Brown howler set the tone. We still manged to bag a couple of goals to reduce the deficit to 1. Our poorest performance under Clarke, we looked miles off it.

6) 0-0 v Oldham. Dominated the game from start to finish. Play that match another 100 time & we win 95 times. Conlon inside of the post across the line then out. Could've been 5 or 6. Some poor finishing but also some very bad luck.

7) 0-1 v Bolton. Absolutely nothing in the game yet again. Against a team unbeaten in 10 (winning 8 of them) Created barely anything but neither did they. Conlon attempt first half deflects out for a corner. They have the same kind of shot 2nd half & he scuffs it into the bottom corner.

Now there's no hiding that 3 points from an opening 7 games is awful. However, you have to look at the context for me. We're certainly a tighter unit & we've lost 4 games by the odd goal. In 3 of those games (all bar Cheltenham) there was absolutely nothing in the games. 2 of those games v top of the league & the other at a side who won Checkatrade v Pompey yesterday & around playoff positions in the league.

A point away at Orient in game 1 is a decent point. A point at home v Stevenage where we didn't play well is frustrating but I'll reiterate, they are a team in good form. Then the Oldham game... we should be sat here with 3 points from that one.

What I'm trying to say is, with a slight change in fortunes & with some "rub of the green", we could and probably should be sat here with 8 points minimum from those 7 games. 

Clarke knows what's required. He knows we need to be scoring goals but you can't fix everything in less than a month. He's had a tough run of games, a tough run of fortune & has inherited a terrible squad. He needs time & I honestly have faith in the bloke to turn things around. I like the way he speaks & carries himself & he's the kind of manager I'd play for.

I'd also note, Walsall... the team he left 7 games ago have gone on to pick up 2 points in the 7 games since he left. No team has a divine right to a new manager bounce & we're not the only side to go without. 

As he said in the fans forum the other night, let's all get behind the team. Let's stop with the negativity & back the bloke. He's doing everything he can to make sure we pick up enough points between now & the end of the season & we have to trust him with that. Take the crap from your Stokie mates, take all the banter, accept everything that gets thrown your way after every match.

The bloke has had less than a month in charge. Get behind him & back the club. UTV.

This is the best most well thought out post i have read on here in a long time

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

All in once game though. Created nothing against Bolton. Created chances and missed them against a side who conceded 4 at home yesterday and had just sacked their manager the day before 

In the Oldham game we certainly created chances, didn’t make the keeper work but that’s more down to them carthorses up front than the manager 

Again only going off what the stats say we had 10 chances and 4 on target yesterday

2 hours ago, Inny said:

I have no faith in Clarke. He reminds me of Lee Sinnott, talking a good game but manages like a headless chicken.

I don't buy into "it is not hid squad" theory. He had his own players at Walsall and only won one more game than John Askey yet we thought we should pay a six figure sum for someone who was doing no better. The recruitment was poor under Askey but I feel that if he was still in charge we would be in a better league position, probably the case with Pugh too. DC seems to have completely knocked any confidence out of some of the players. To be fair some players look better, primarily the defence, but our creative players look shadows of their former selves. Conlon is probably the obvious one.

From the evidence we see it was a poor selection and I have no faith in him. I really hope I'm proven wrong very quickly.

Bit of nostalgia. Me and my mate had a conversation with Sinnott at an AGM just after he took over. He told us that we would get 64points from the remaining 32 games (2 pts a game) ensuring promotion. He was a nice genuine guy and me being me believed him or wanted to belive him. We got about 17 and were relegated!

I have the same feelings again, hope this time Clarke delivers.

14 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Bit of nostalgia. Me and my mate had a conversation with Sinnott at an AGM just after he took over. He told us that we would get 64points from the remaining 32 games (2 pts a game) ensuring promotion. He was a nice genuine guy and me being me believed him or wanted to belive him. We got about 17 and were relegated!

I have the same feelings again, hope this time Clarke delivers.

You get the feeling Clarke is a nice guy?!

To me it makes no difference that we look more solid and we have only been losing by the odd goal. We’ve offered zero going forward and are always susceptible to a sucker punch. The fact remains that we are still losing and not winning games of football. 

How many of Clarke’s games have we actually looked like winning? The one game against Oldham.

We will go to Barrow, Grimsby and Colchester and set up for a point. No doubt we will end up conceding and fail to respond.

Archived