onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

On 11/03/2021 at 13:01, HugotheElder said:

DC definitely did not take us down.

We were piss poor all season and he took over a struggling team with 8 games left.  In theory he could have kept us up but frankly Alex Ferguson would have struggled to have picked up more points than DC in those final games.

Conference football was not DCs fault.

Can you also post your views as a reply to Swifty, our resident "Walsall fan in peace".  He's very interested in DC.  You'll find him somewhere up this thread.  Thanks. 👍

Advert

21 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

You do realise that it was only 6 league wins he achieved before he came to Vale?

You do realise you're completely wrong? You've been parroting a completely false stat for ages now. Clarke joined us on February 15th. It isn't an outstanding record but fundamentally you are incorrect. 

839512825_Screenshot2021-03-13at10_08_52.thumb.png.64e4755c2d0e82d5f5a0114a569ba7a1.png

They're now 19th, still with 8 wins and now 16 points from the playoffs. 

I've said I haven't really warmed to Clarke (the bloke or the manager) so far, and I stand by that, but I still think he took on a big job with a team with 3 wins in 17 and several first-teamers struggling with injuries.

I think he could have done things a bit better (which he has accepted) but I'm also nowhere near forming any judgements.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I think the fact that Walsall had genuine playoff aspirations, and then lost Clarke and their top scorer (who he had signed) and now face relegation is indicative that he was doing a reasonable job there. 

Managers often say "judge me when I leave the club". But you're saying that Walsall nearly going into non-league a couple of months after Clarke goes means that he's done a good job there?!

18 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

My apologies. It was only 8 games he won not 6, so, your fundamentally wrong for suggesting Walsall were play off contenders until he left them

6 points? Two extra wins? 

Maybe we have different definitions. I think, if you're in mid-February and 6 points from the playoffs, you are 100% in contention. 

We're 6 points from the drop and we're definitely in contention for that.

Your claim is more about interpretations, whilst my point is that you've made up a statistic and have posted it on here a lot to discredit our manager, 6 games after his appointment.

We can employ as many staff with fancy names as we won't, but it ultimately won't mean much if the squad of players you have are an absolute shower. We need 70% of the squad moving on in the summer, regardless of what happens. We're a team full of players that are either injury prone, over the hill or simply not good enough.

22 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Managers often say "judge me when I leave the club". But you're saying that Walsall nearly going into non-league a couple of months after Clarke goes means that he's done a good job there?!

Would it not suggest he was over-performing with his squad? And with a less competent manager, they look bad? 

24 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Would it not suggest he was over-performing with his squad? And with a less competent manager, they look bad? 

But he signed the players.

Thing is we'd have to know the budget to make a proper judgement on his time there. It sounds like it was around a mid-table budget and they were around mid-table when he left so I think it's fine to argue he did an 'okay' job there.

13 minutes ago, Wrex said:

But he signed the players.

Thing is we'd have to know the budget to make a proper judgement on his time there. It sounds like it was around a mid-table budget and they were around mid-table when he left so I think it's fine to argue he did an 'okay' job there.

They sold their top scorer in January too.

I haven't argued that Clarke was working a miracle, but it has been argued with false statistics in this thread (and elsewhere) that he was doing poorly, which I don't believe. He was seemingly doing OK, and if he does the same here we'll stay up. Next season will be the proper test, with all the excellent support from Carol and no excuses.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

That they were in contention for a play off space. 

Oh, that's not a statistic, more an interpretation of their chances when they were 6 points off. I think 6 points is in the mix. You don't, which is fine. 

Archived