onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

Advert

On 12/04/2021 at 12:43, valeparklife said:

It's really obvious that Walsall fans have made themselves look incredibly stupid with their comments back when we took Clarke.

They were 6 points off the playoffs, and had only lost 6 times all season.

Now they're 9 points off relegation and have only won 1 since.

It was clear as day that Clarke was massively overachieving with that squad, which shows his managerial quality.

In fairness, from what I saw most were moaning about his style of football. Plenty of them agreed that he had made them hard to beat. If we're being honest we've hardly been playing free flowing football since he joined, but that's never going to happen with the players we have. What he has quickly done is made us a very difficult team to play against. Effective - Just like what Micky Adams did.

9 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Pardon?

He said we were unlucky not to win games against Oldham and Salford.

Joking aside I agree with the Oldham game, we were the better side... We had 23 shots to their 8. We had 6 on target vs their 2.

play that game 10 times and we win 7 or 8 times.

Just now, Eddie Ford said:

Why not watch the Oldham again and see how many chances we actually created

Watched it at the time... and the highlights many a time and again just just to refresh the memory.

We were the better side and should have won.

Conlon came within a lick of paint from scoring when he hit the post and it bounced back across the line. Very unlucky.

Footbal

31 minutes ago, Emile said:

If devante had shot instead of stopping in the box we score the only goal of the game against Salford and its a 1 0 win. They created one chance from our mistake  and scored 

Agree entirely - Football can be about fine margins - but it wasn't under Askey towards the end, there was only ever one likely outcome with matches and it wasn't a good one for Vale. Mr Clarke got us to a point where we were more competitive and harder to beat very quickly after coming through the door which in itself was impressive given how poor we were, he has then quickly got us to the point where we are in with a chance of winning every game (and are doing at the moment!). Since DC's been here the only game where we truly didn't look like getting anything out of it was Cheltenham, every other game has been close or we've won.

If I've done my maths right:

Askey's last 13 league games 8 points and 26 goals against.

DC's first 13 games 21 points and 7 goals against.

On 12/04/2021 at 04:43, valeparklife said:

It's really obvious that Walsall fans have made themselves look incredibly stupid with their comments back when we took Clarke.

It was clear as day that Clarke was massively overachieving with that squad, which shows his managerial quality.

If I remember rightly (As they're being rather quiet about him now), they were saying that he'd put the squad together so if he couldn't get results with them it was his fault. Two points on this for me

- He may have put the squad together, but the budget looks limited at Walsall compared to Vale. You have to wonder how much he could do with what he had. I would factor that in, as Walsall fans seem to have an overinflated view of how well they should have been doing. I think the fact he had them in contention was impressive.

- If recruitment is a problem for him, the fact that Flitcroft is there to work with him should offset and reduce the likelihood of flops. 

On 12/04/2021 at 12:43, valeparklife said:

Football can turn direction pretty quickly. We did it and now Walsall have somehow beat promotion chasing forest green and Tranmere in a week. I think we will see what Darrell Clarke’s all about next season with the way we do our business in the summer. It’ll be exciting to say the least who we try and sign. 

2 hours ago, cactuselves said:

Footbal

Agree entirely - Football can be about fine margins - but it wasn't under Askey towards the end, there was only ever one likely outcome with matches and it wasn't a good one for Vale. Mr Clarke got us to a point where we were more competitive and harder to beat very quickly after coming through the door which in itself was impressive given how poor we were, he has then quickly got us to the point where we are in with a chance of winning every game (and are doing at the moment!). Since DC's been here the only game where we truly didn't look like getting anything out of it was Cheltenham, every other game has been close or we've won.

If I've done my maths right:

Askey's last 13 league games 8 points and 26 goals against.

DC's first 13 games 21 points and 7 goals against.

Not really had a look tbf but have we really only conceded 7 in 13 games??

31 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

9 conceded is excellent when you think 3 of those came in one game

Yes he’s certainly sorted the defence out. You could say that averaging a goal a game (in Clarke’s games) scored isn’t great but when you’ve just won 6 on the spin you can’t really moan. He’s had to work with what’s he’s been left.  It’s been a fantastic turn around and totally took me by surprise. And I’m sure when it’s ‘his own players’ next season we will see a lot more goals during the season. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Ford said:

Conlon shot was not a chance. A 25 yard shot does not count that it’s a chance. I could have played in goal for Oldham that night and would have kept a clean sheet

You can use whatever definition of chances you like.

I was agreeing with a poster who said we were unlucky not to win... we dominated them and hit the inside of the post. 3cm to the left and that goes in.

We were unlucky.

On 15/02/2021 at 23:23, valefan16 said:

Seems the manager thread is locked so what we all thinking?

His interview was decent, what’s your first priority? “Win... always win”

I’m quite excited by what we’ve done here with Flickers and Clarke. Well done Carol and Colin.

This aged like a fine wine.

Archived