onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

It's the life of a football manager. It's a cliche and everyone says it but it's true: when the team is losing games then the manager is completely clueless, win a few and he's a genius.

I don't think it's controversial to say that he looked a good appointment on paper, had a poor start but - barring a complete disaster and relegation - was always going to be judged on next season with a fresh squad.

I will say that recently he has really emphasised how these are his players, which is good to hear that connection is there. I still expect 10-15 players to be gone in the summer but that was inevitable based on the sheer size of the squad, let alone factoring in the collapse from November to early March.

He's definitely showing his man management skills now. He can call out and criticise players without alienating them, which is good. Clarke doesn't have a set philosophy other than getting the best out of the players available to him, which is something I like. If recruitment isn't one of his strengths then we now have recruitment team with Flitcroft and whoever else to help him out. With a good budget we should have high expectations for next season.

Spot on.  Got off to a bad start so was always going to face criticism with the team playing poorly and not looking likely to score, exacerbated by the fact he doesn't have the luxury of being connected in some way to the Vale, apart from that short loan stint, which always buy you a bit of goodwill and time.  Worth adding that the addition of Andy Crosby and other new backroom staff will also have helped, if only for the fact that there's a few new voices around the place.

Advert

3 hours ago, philpvfc said:

I thin some are serious. He may be the best manager in the league but it’s far too early to say that because in 12 months time we may well have the same opinion as Walsall fans. 

You've had that opinion since the first game whereas some of us saw the size of the job in front of him and gave him the time he needed to get things moving in the right way. Yourself, carpetman, andyjones tyler and a few others made rash decisions based on him clearing up the mess that Askey left this club in. 

Spot on.  Got off to a bad start so was always going to face criticism with the team playing poorly and not looking likely to score, exacerbated by the fact he doesn't have the luxury of being connected in some way to the Vale, apart from that short loan stint, which always buy you a bit of goodwill and time.  Worth adding that the addition of Andy Crosby and other new backroom staff will also have helped, if only for the fact that there's a few new voices around the place.

Think Crosby seems to have made a positive difference, be good to keep hold of him

I was happy with the appointment, I didn’t and don’t care what Walsall say / do / like / dislike / think etc so whatever they’ve added is irrelevant and biased.

I, like most, was worried when we looked like we couldn’t score a goal. But my biggest worry was Clarke couldn’t motivate the team to stay up, especially with his early quality and fitness comments. But he’s adapted even in the time he’s been here, spun gold out of pretty dire players in some cases and has got the players buy in. Fitness is up, tactical awareness and planning is up, in-game management is up, injury management has improved. With a team made up by Clarke I’m sure these steps will turn into strides.

15 hours ago, dantheman said:

Their chairman reminds me of Smurf! He does YouTube videos informing them of “truths”. Bloke stinks more than Chesterton tip! Felt a bit sorry for them cause they are falling for his bull hook line and sinker. Then saw the bile they posted about the vale and it passed. Don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see that he is a grade a con artist. Supposedly have a top ten budget but I’d wager that it’s no where near, then their chairman sold their better players in jan with no reinvestment. Replaced them with no hope loans...where have we seen that before. They are after a director of football and I wouldn't put it past their chairman to say he’s had a call from Jose before unveiling Bruno as DOF followed by an influx of quality international superstars...  

I will call it now, they will be in serious trouble next season if they survive this one. 

Interesting that, suddenly deciding a DOF model is the way to go - straight after Vale poach their manager for such a set up. 

75d218d140e6da18a29d938220e46f78176be8c5.jpeg

29 minutes ago, 1 said:

I was happy with the appointment, I didn’t and don’t care what Walsall say / do / like / dislike / think etc so whatever they’ve added is irrelevant and biased.

I, like most, was worried when we looked like we couldn’t score a goal. But my biggest worry was Clarke couldn’t motivate the team to stay up, especially with his early quality and fitness comments. But he’s adapted even in the time he’s been here, spun gold out of pretty dire players in some cases and has got the players buy in. Fitness is up, tactical awareness and planning is up, in-game management is up, injury management has improved. With a team made up by Clarke I’m sure these steps will turn into strides.

The first couple of weeks he did seem a bit of a knob and seemed to want to push the blame everywhere.  He has taken over a squad that would probably have made the playoffs last season and that looked destined to enter the top 3 at halftime in the Tranmere game. Things clearly went badly wrong thereafter.  No idea if the improvements on things like injury management have happened or we just have most of our better players fit.

Where Clarke himself has improved:

1 he's playing systems that suit Conlon who is one of our best 3 players and wasted in a withdrawn midfield position

2 he's played Rodney more as an inside forward in the last couple of games, getting the best out of one of our best 3 players

3 he has Worrall playing is a way that suits our best player

Generally get your best 3 or 4 players playing in a system that suits them you will win many more than you lose. Having a fit Oyeleke and Montano is also a massive plus.

The fickle life of a football fan. Depressed with a loss, carried away with a win. We can all be accused of struggling to find the balance.

Onwards and upwards hopefully. Finish the season strong and go from there. Next season cannot be anything like this season.

6 hours ago, osprey said:

Think Crosby seems to have made a positive difference, be good to keep hold of him

I’d like to think so but only a couple of games in so far so time will tell.

No idea how helping us ties in with the N.l. role, or if there’s even any chance of keeping him after the season ends. Again, time will tell.

1 hour ago, SuperHuman said:

The fickle life of a football fan. Depressed with a loss, carried away with a win. We can all be accused of struggling to find the balance.

Onwards and upwards hopefully. Finish the season strong and go from there. Next season cannot be anything like this season.

I think in this case it’s not just getting carried away with two good results, there’s also a palpable sigh of relief that we’ve taken a couple of big steps away from the trapdoor that seemed to be opening beneath us.

28 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I’d like to think so but only a couple of games in so far so time will tell.

No idea how helping us ties in with the N.l. role, or if there’s even any chance of keeping him after the season ends. Again, time will tell.

If Crosby goes I reckon an important signing will be someone very similar who has league experience and shares Clarke’s style. Pugh stepped up to steady the ship and all that but now the dust has settled we need a steady duo who know how to get out of L2.

on an unrelated note, L1 is absolutely stacked at the moment. Say hypothetically we got promoted next season, half the squad Clarke has in September would be coming to L1 with us at least. Got to reach for the stars and that’s what the retained list should represent, a drive forwards.

I'm not one for over praising managers however Darrell Clarke seems to be able change formations during a game to make us better ,I'd say though at times during these first 9 games he as being too defensive but with starting Oyeleke and moving Conlon into a position where he can be of a nuisance to the opposition has made us miles better going forwards .

Lots to do yet a weeks a long time in football after Bolton I thought we were down as we were not scoring and still were losing or drawing at best ,two games on we have a chance now but we cannot get carried away we have to maintain the confidence gained from last 2 games and take that into the remaining 9 games .

Nothing is sure in football yes the bottom two are in great peril but look what Barrow are doing and do not take anything for granted ,lets hope we are not getting complacent I ain't theres a good 900 minutes of this season remaining yet .

Keep up the good work D Clarke 

UTV 

Archived