onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

5 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

What does make me laugh is some of the OVFers who were crying out for change and a Manager who had no connections to the club are now berating the incumbent before he’s even had a transfer window or 10 games. 🙄

What’s important now is we get some wins this month and one needs to come in the next seven days!

I’m tempted to get down to the ground and tell some of the underperforming players a pep talk. 

We are properly rubbish at the moment and we are all allowed to have a good moan.

But there are certain people that absolutely thrive in that environment and relish the chance to demonstrate their moaning ability! 😂

Advert

It may be late but given Carol was not a football person - she has, finally realised that she needs football people to run that side of things and she is putting the building blocks in place.

She’s had Colin Garlick alongside her since she got the keys. He’s got plenty of experience.

11 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Were  there a lot of games for him to scout at in the mornings?

Depends where you travel to doesn't it. I know exactly what was happening at the time. One day it will eventually come out.

58 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Agree it is better. There’s no doubting that and yeah credit to carol for putting the money in. Still not sure it was the right move at that time, as I posted earlier Colin has been at the club some time and should know what needed changing / improving. I find it a bit odd that as soon as a bloke who applied to be manager suggests he wants to be DOF we all of a sudden jump into that. I can’t imagine that model with the extra staff being brought in would be viable if we went down 

Yes that’s a good point. What would make Flitcroft a decent DOF when he has never done the job before? If his focus is on recruitment...does he really have a superior track record on good signings? 

Hard to say, but certainly both guys have good track records in league 2 and should be able to come up with some decent outcomes between them? 

45 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:

She’s had Colin Garlick alongside her since she got the keys. He’s got plenty of experience.

I’m sure Smurfwaite chipped in with a few expert words of wisdom too! Maybe he provided contact with his mentor...Mr Oyston! 

13 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Why does it take a manager applying to be the manager to point that out? Carol didn’t want a DOF she wanted a manager and was talked into by someone who thought being a manager would be too big of a job. Yet it didn’t hinder us last season. Surely if there were so many things wrong with the club someone like garlick who has been at the club for years would know this? I think we will have to wait and see if it is a step in the right direction. It Dosent work for all clubs. For me as Pete put above. Flitcroft should have been made manager at least until the end of the season. 

I have no issue with a DOF, there are many directors in business. I'm concerned at the timing, cost, immediate need and full understanding of the role and what is required. A chat with Flitcroft for 4/5 hours would not convince me of this as Valiant says. We have Colin Garlick, we have Carol, Kevin, Rudgie and whoever else advises from Synectics. Short-term was a manager, long term was the correct manager perhaps accompanied with a DOF.

We may just about escape relegation, we won't on currennt form. What use is the DOF to the remaining games if he is not managing anyway? What is the cost of not recognizing the issues sooner, getting Askey gone and addressing the obvious rifts within playing and coaching staff from the end of Oct onwards. What cost relegation.

Why bring in a striker who doesn't score goals, why bring in a young man at the last knockings of the window? Micro-management/ fire-fighting, panic?

25 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

I’d suggest that Sir John’s role is absolutely minimal. He’s an old fella now. I hope he’s not been anywhere near the club for the last 12 months,

To be honest he is only 76...3 years older than Roy Hodgson who manages Palace week in week out in the Prem. 

The comment also got me reflecting on what else John Rudge did and he was offered a DOF role at the Vale back in 99 but instead took it up with Stoke. 

At least with a manager, director of football, head of recruitment, scouting team and a football adviser we don't have any reason to blame Colin Garlick, Carol's lad or Frank Sinclair for any toss signings.

10 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:
12 minutes ago, Wrex said:
At least with a manager, director of football, head of recruitment, scouting team and a football adviser we don't have any reason to blame Colin Garlick, Carol's lad or Frank Sinclair for any toss signings.

But I'm sure some will.

Dead right

50 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

I’d suggest that Sir John’s role is absolutely minimal. He’s an old fella now. I hope he’s not been anywhere near the club for the last 12 months,

He certainly signed at least one player for us in the summer the manager didn't want. 

Archived