onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

51 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have just spend 20 mins on a spreadsheet looking at remaining games and I now feel more comfortable that we wont go down... it will be tight. But the fact that all the teams at the bottom play each other and they all have lots of difficult games means that Grimsby, Southend and Barrow need a DRAMATIC turn in fortune to overtake us EVEN if we dont pick up many point.

The scenario that made me feel better is as follows:

Lets assume the Vale only get 11 points in the next 17 games (that's scraping 2 more wins and 4 draws) - I have assumed wins against Barrow and Harrogate and draws against Oldham, Newport, Crawley and Morcambe

That assumes we lose against Colchester, Grimsby and Mansfield.

That's 0.7 points a game between now and the rest of the season.

Even then I have us 3 points above Barrow and 2 points above Grimsby.

And that assumes:

Barrow win 4 games between now and the end of the season (I assumed Walsall, Stevanage, Newport, Orient) and draw 3 (FGR, Carlisle and Crawley)

Grimsby win 5 games (Colchester, Mansfield, Barrow, Walsall and us) and draw 3 (Carlisle, Morcambe and Oldham)

Thought you were optimistic with our draws against Morecambe and Newport. However  thankfully cannot see Barrow beating Stevenage and Newport or Grimsby beating us ( a draw ?) or getting anything against Morecambe.

It will be too close for comfort, yet again.

Advert

2 hours ago, Essex Boy said:

When a new manager comes in to a club, they nearly always try to tighten the defence as the main priority. In my opinion this is completely the wrong thing to do, as you won't score & will nearly always concede. (Vale, Barrow. Southend and Grimsby all lost 1-0). I believe you are better going all out attack, as there will be some games where you outscore the opposition & get the wins you need to stay up.

And what would the point of that be with the players we have? Even if we played the likes of Robinson, Cullen and Guthrie at the same time it wouldn't amount to anything, because they are crap players. With the likes of Worrall and Amoo in the side, sure, we should go after teams a bit more, especially at home. But attacking with sides like the one we had out yesterday would be suicide. Losing one nil sounds a lot better than losing by 4 or 5 even if they both ultimately give you 0 points.

Guest Vale at home
6 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Thought you were optimistic with our draws against Morecambe and Newport. However  thankfully cannot see Barrow beating Stevenage and Newport or Grimsby beating us ( a draw ?) or getting anything against Morecambe.

Yes it will be . Close at the end of the season . Unless vale can get some quality in the side .  It when . .???? 

If you continue to have close shaves with relegation each season (bar last seasons fluke) you’ll end up getting caught one year. This looks like the year it could all go pear shaped and we go out of the football league. We’ve become a nothing club. We’ve had no identity in style of play for years. We’re not a quick passing team full of skill nor are we a big ugly side who load the box at every available chance and out battle teams. Were nothing. Years or mismanagement and an awful scouting network suggests this could be our turn to go down. 

clarkes got a huge task on his hands in the remaining  games. He can’t make these good players, he can’t make them score goals. We simply need to rely on some luck in the hope of barrow and Grimsby and Southend keeping us above water. 8 point gap is decent but the way we’re playing and the amount of goals we’ve scored in the last few games tells me we won’t win many more than 3 games. It’s going go down to the last game I’m pretty certain. 

I said last night relegation will be a disaster for the club and Carol. Despite her great efforts off the pitch she could end up being the owner who sends us out of the football league. Everything will change. Academy most probably scrapped. Staff will be finished. It’ll be awful for Burslem as well. 

im hoping and praying we can fluke a few wins and we need them quickly to not give those three below us more hope. 

we’ve signed a fair few strikers in the last three or four years but once again we need Tom Pope to save us. I hope to god he’s back in the next two weeks. 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have just spend 20 mins on a spreadsheet looking at remaining games and I now feel more comfortable that we wont go down... it will be tight. But the fact that all the teams at the bottom play each other and they all have lots of difficult games means that Grimsby, Southend and Barrow need a DRAMATIC turn in fortune to overtake us EVEN if we dont pick up many point.

The scenario that made me feel better is as follows:

Lets assume the Vale only get 11 points in the next 17 games (that's scraping 2 more wins and 4 draws) - I have assumed wins against Barrow and Harrogate and draws against Oldham, Newport, Crawley and Morcambe

That assumes we lose against Colchester, Grimsby and Mansfield.

That's 0.7 points a game between now and the rest of the season.

Even then I have us 3 points above Barrow and 2 points above Grimsby.

And that assumes:

Barrow win 4 games between now and the end of the season (I assumed Walsall, Stevanage, Newport, Orient) and draw 3 (FGR, Carlisle and Crawley)

Grimsby win 5 games (Colchester, Mansfield, Barrow, Walsall and us) and draw 3 (Carlisle, Morcambe and Oldham)

Iron Curtain, thank you for taking the trouble to come up with these stats. I hope you’re right 🤞🙏🏽

1 hour ago, The man in the pub said:

Yeah true, a draw between us and Grimsby allows those dubious draws to not be required.

There are lots and lots of permutations... most of them have us staying up.

@fivethirtyeight have done a statistical model and give us an 8% chance of getting relegated. Feels right to me after playing with all the different points outcomes this afternoon .

3D1A94A5-C81B-4B67-A95C-13331E85365F.jpeg

10 hours ago, Eddie Ford said:

And playing two or three here & there means we can not afford to carry them either

To be fair to Amoo his games record played last season was decent - only struggled this year.Why?? Thats what the new management team are trying to work out. 

He's not really a perennial crock like Manny.

7 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I think the signings were lazy. 2 out of the 7 had played for Askey previously. 2 more were signed after trials as no one else wanted them. Mills and Rodney were likely signed as backup.

The only one that looked to have threatened a regular 1st team spot was Robinson, and he's been garbage. The rest were all signed as squad players.

Where are our scouts? Do we have any?

How many 'good signings' have we made in the last 5 years? 

Lazy or a necessity due to lack of infastructre and scouting network at the club. I know what the club's answer is.

Signings where <ovf censored> in the main. I don't think anyone could make a reasonable counter argument on that but I think Askeys signing reflect the resources available at the club from a scouting point of view. Thats why we have been limited to Notts Forest (thanks to Sproey) and players Askley know from Macc or Shrewsbury. 

Aspin rarely was involved in training, he was out scouting players himself so was always away watching games which is why we fell apart when Brabin left who was basically running the squad.  Its been a long running problem.

Things will change for the better we just need to survive this season.

20 hours ago, MBE said:

Trouble is we have been on a terrible losing run conceding goals for fun playing that way. I don't think he has a choice at present other than 352 however until the midfield 3 are prepared to put the foot on the ball and pass then we are pissing in the wind.

I beg to differ slightly regarding Clarke not having a choice at present, whilst I can understand the reasoning for playing 352, which if memory serves isn't what he tried in his first game anyway, I think with the players he has unavailable he may be better off going back to 433.  With Gibbo, Monty, Wozza injured Clarke's currently knackered for wingbacks playing 352.  Mills on the right? Who on the left? Hurst? Fitz?  For my money he's currently got more options playing a back 4.  Also I think Rodney has looked better, more effective, out wide in a front 3 rather than more central in a 2.

I would also add that it's not just the midfield 3 not putting their foot on the ball, the whole team are treating it like a hot potato.  Very little composure from front to back.  The tempo has been better when not in possession in the last couple of games, but maybe this has come at the expense of rushing when we have the ball.  Who knows.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Lazy or a necessity due to lack of infastructre and scouting network at the club. I know what the club's answer is.

Signings where <ovf censored> in the main. I don't think anyone could make a reasonable counter argument on that but I think Askeys signing reflect the resources available at the club from a scouting point of view. Thats why we have been limited to Notts Forest (thanks to Sproey) and players Askley know from Macc or Shrewsbury. 

Aspin rarely was involved in training, he was out scouting players himself so was always away watching games which is why we fell apart when Brabin left who was basically running the squad.  Its been a long running problem.

Things will change for the better we just need to survive this season.

Aspin WAS involved in training, as I watched many times.

13 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

What can he do with the donkeys he has available it wasn’t Clarke who bought them in he ain’t got a magic wand 

Well, he certainly hasn't got a magic wand. I am absolutely unimpressed with him and his list of excuses. I think his criticism of the previous regime and his spin is classless and adds to my disappointment.

We need to give him chance and get behind him but I don't appreciate his spiv mentality and taking me for an idiot with his procrastination.

Don't know why people are saying we won't go down and there are worse teams than us in lg2, I've watched every game this season and apart from the first few games, we now look like we couldn't beat anyone. Every match is 2 poor teams and we end up losing! If we can't beat the dross then we will struggle to stay up. Will dc and df stay if we are relegated? More likely they will pick up their fat compo and wave goodbye, blaming the club

22 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I beg to differ slightly regarding Clarke not having a choice at present, whilst I can understand the reasoning for playing 352, which if memory serves isn't what he tried in his first game anyway, I think with the players he has unavailable he may be better off going back to 433.  With Gibbo, Monty, Wozza injured Clarke's currently knackered for wingbacks playing 352.  Mills on the right? Who on the left? Hurst? Fitz?  For my money he's currently got more options playing a back 4.  Also I think Rodney has looked better, more effective, out wide in a front 3 rather than more central in a 2.

I agree he has more options to play a back 4 player wise but we just conceded too many chances and goals which is why I don't think he has a choice at present. Its a case of keeping the game as tight as possible and try to nick a goal from a set-piece.

I expect the approach to change after Cheltenham and we see a switch to 4-2-3-1 if Amoo is ready to play. We need to get Rodney outwide on the LW so he can run at players at VP in the open space where he is dangerous. 

Archived