onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

Training. 
When Askey took over several players said that the training was very intense with a lot of fitness training.

so since lockdown have the players been in training everyday? Or because of Covid had to do more training on their own? Hence the level of fitness. What changed? 

Did Clarke allude that they hadn’t been training every day since he’s been here? 

if they are unfit there are enough hills around here that they could run up and down for a few hours a day.  That would easily improve stamina in a couple of weeks. So that excuse would be out of the window

Advert

DC has a very very tough task on his hands.

We have a serious number of Injuries.

The players are not right for his system.

The players are severely lacking in confidence.

He has to motivate them to keep us up whilst at the same time they all know that the majority of them wont be here next season... We have to hope that in the current climate that players are playing to impress other clubs or their careers are over.

DC is playing tennis with a cricket bat at the moment... question is whether he is adapting as well as we hoped untoil he can get a tennis racket. 

We are harder to breakdown... that's undeniable. He will be using that as a foundation.

But we have severely hindered our attacking options.

We cannot try and draw our way to safety... we need to release the hand break a little bit.

In the cold light of day once emotions have died down, both my head and my heart think we will stay up.

I think we will get no more than 1 point out of the next 3 games and the natives will be very very restless. 

But I think / hope we will scrape enough points against Colchester, Harrogate, Barrow, Grimsby and Mansfield 

That said we will finish 3rd bottom and it will go down to the last few games.

I hate football. 

I really hope he doesn't get fixated on formations. Could cut his nose of to spite his face if he does.

Seems anti 4-3-3 purely because that was Askeys blinkered one size fits all system.

I hate to bring Lard into it but that Lunatic Jones was fixated on The Diamond and it led to his downfall with a stubborness to do anything different.

If we have to play 4-3-3 to get a chance of winning a game then Clarke has to play that formation.

17 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

So these players are not fit enough to have a future at the club with the amount of time they spend on the treatment table

Couldn't agree more. Oyeleke, Amoo and Montano should all be shipped out in the summer, along with all the crap like Whitehead and Robinson.

Hi all,

Please remember to attack the argument NOT the person. Personal abuse messages will be removed and as it's against the rules you may be banned if you persist with personal abuse.

Thanks,

Rob

10 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Games & minutes played this season:

Pope: 14 games - 664 minutes

Amoo: 16 games - 890 minutes 

Worrall: 24 games - 2007 minutes

Oyeleke: 12 games - 766 minutes

Without the need for stats we all know that the likes of Oyeleke and Amoo haven't been able to play in a run of games this season. Playing in two or three games here and there, you're never going to get in a rhythm and find your form.

Without the need for stats we all know that the likes of Oyeleke and Amoo haven't been able to play in a run of games this season. Playing in two or three games here and there, you're never going to get in a rhythm and find your form.
Plus when you do get back in team naturally you'd play yourself back gingerly and you get injured again vicious circle

Clarke you have seen four games now and admittedly you have being unfortunate with injuries to players who are pivotal to if we win games or not however ,your tactics of 5 at the back and booting the ball aimlessly up field to our front players is quite clearly after 360 mins of you being in charge not working ,every ball in the box defended well by the opposition or is that a lack of desire in the forwards you have being selecting or maybe they are no good in the air or do have the guts make anything of any ball coming in because they are weak and flimsy and poor (I think that's the one the latter on what we being subjected too ).

So I suggest you try find another way I'm sure our smaller players do not want see the ball sailing over there heads each game this hoofball ain't working if it was we be having goal attempts galore what is it about 3 on target in four games,its not working ,over to You 

FOREVER Vale 

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

How many times have we actually had what most would consider our best 11 out this season, or even close to? You could probably count on one hand and still have fingers left.

You've hit the nail on the head.  IMO the obvious biggest problem is this lack of consitency of personnel game to game. As you indicate, it has been the problem all season.  In his Sentinel post-match interview, Darrell Clarke broadly hints at previous training methods being part of his problem regarding the  continual injuries. Will be interesting to see what he does to change this issue?

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I don't think it was lazy recruitment. He could only work within his budget and sign players who wanted to play for us. 

Devante Rodney - probably signed as backup but due to scoring a few has developing into a 1st team regular
Zak Mills - Released by Oldham who finished below us
Danny Whitehead - played in non-league for Macc under Askey
Theo Robinson - on paper, I felt this was a good signing (18 goals from 44 games over previous two seasons)
David Fitzpatrick - played in non-league for Macc under Askey
Dino Visser - free agent, signed after trial
Harry McKirdy - free agent, signed after trial

I think the signings were lazy. 2 out of the 7 had played for Askey previously. 2 more were signed after trials as no one else wanted them. Mills and Rodney were likely signed as backup.

The only one that looked to have threatened a regular 1st team spot was Robinson, and he's been garbage. The rest were all signed as squad players.

Where are our scouts? Do we have any?

How many 'good signings' have we made in the last 5 years? 

3 hours ago, Eddie Ford said:

Games & minutes played this season:

Pope: 14 games - 664 minutes

Amoo: 16 games - 890 minutes 

Worrall: 24 games - 2007 minutes

Oyeleke: 12 games - 766 minutes

Woz is class. Pope has been available for loads of games but JA refused to play him. 

Manny and Amoo are both sick notes who cannot physically cope with the demands of pro football and Manny will probable not find anoth club when his contract expires. 

When a new manager comes in to a club, they nearly always try to tighten the defence as the main priority. In my opinion this is completely the wrong thing to do, as you won't score & will nearly always concede. (Vale, Barrow. Southend and Grimsby all lost 1-0). I believe you are better going all out attack, as there will be some games where you outscore the opposition & get the wins you need to stay up.

21 minutes ago, Essex Boy said:

When a new manager comes in to a club, they nearly always try to tighten the defence as the main priority. In my opinion this is completely the wrong thing to do, as you won't score & will nearly always concede. (Vale, Barrow. Southend and Grimsby all lost 1-0). I believe you are better going all out attack, as there will be some games where you outscore the opposition & get the wins you need to stay up.

Only problem is we haven’t got anybody who could hit a barn door 

I have just spend 20 mins on a spreadsheet looking at remaining games and I now feel more comfortable that we wont go down... it will be tight. But the fact that all the teams at the bottom play each other and they all have lots of difficult games means that Grimsby, Southend and Barrow need a DRAMATIC turn in fortune to overtake us EVEN if we dont pick up many point.

The scenario that made me feel better is as follows:

Lets assume the Vale only get 11 points in the next 17 games (that's scraping 2 more wins and 4 draws) - I have assumed wins against Barrow and Harrogate and draws against Oldham, Newport, Crawley and Morcambe

That assumes we lose against Colchester, Grimsby and Mansfield.

That's 0.7 points a game between now and the rest of the season.

Even then I have us 3 points above Barrow and 2 points above Grimsby.

And that assumes:

Barrow win 4 games between now and the end of the season (I assumed Walsall, Stevanage, Newport, Orient) and draw 3 (FGR, Carlisle and Crawley)

Grimsby win 5 games (Colchester, Mansfield, Barrow, Walsall and us) and draw 3 (Carlisle, Morcambe and Oldham)

Archived