onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

That will be a point of contention if things don't go well.
I'm fairly confident in his managerial abilities and think we'll likely end up getting promotion within two full seasons. People say he is a bit arrogant and he has a chip on his shoulder. Well you can say that about Mourinho, Allardyce, Warnock, Clough (Brian) so if he gets results I'm sure we'll all love him
Micky Adams to add to that.

Advert

On 23/02/2021 at 13:45, Santa said:

I don't think Clarke is anything like Sinnott. All I'm saying is that it's very easy to talk the talk.

Yes, Clarke is very good at saying what fans want to hear. Unfortunately it's been a very long time since results consistently backed those words up.

Looks like there's a pattern emerging already here. Blaming fitness. Then it will be something else, then something else. His arrogance doesn't allow self blame, he'd rather make the faux pas of blaming his players in interviews to the public.

Since leaving us he has compared two squads, stating you have more experience, and that he was working with a development squad with us. Yes Darrell because you spunked the budget on your ageing Brizzle love children and spent a fortune on a clearly unfit and overweight captain, with little motivation for anything other than eating McDonald's. Three windows to sort it out and we got worse each time.

Whatever he did at Rovers is irrelevant. They had a large (comparative) budget and were riding on momentum with players he knew. When he had to replace those, he couldn't. Primarily because he gets whatever players he can, with no thought for where needs strengthen, then faffs around with the formation every week. Our players look more organised in a week already, and hopefully results will follow 

Good luck! I look forward to reading the similar comments now and in the near and distant future. 

P.S. you can call this bitterness or whatever else you like, but the relief of Clarke leaving without having to pay him off was overwhelming amongst fans and the local media. However, his likeable personality allows him to get away with his failings.

Yes, Clarke is very good at saying what fans want to hear. Unfortunately it's been a very long time since results consistently backed those words up.
Looks like there's a pattern emerging already here. Blaming fitness. Then it will be something else, then something else. His arrogance doesn't allow self blame, he'd rather make the faux pas of blaming his players in interviews to the public.

Since leaving us he has compared two squads, stating you have more experience, and that he was working with a development squad with us. Yes Darrell because you spunked the budget on your ageing Brizzle love children and spent a fortune on a clearly unfit and overweight captain, with little motivation for anything other than eating McDonald's. Three windows to sort it out and we got worse each time.

Whatever he did at Rovers is irrelevant. They had a large (comparative) budget and were riding on momentum with players he knew. When he had to replace those, he couldn't. Primarily because he gets whatever players he can, with no thought for where needs strengthen, then faffs around with the formation every week. Our players look more organised in a week already, and hopefully results will follow 

Good luck! I look forward to reading the similar comments now and in the near and distant future. 

P.S. you can call this bitterness or whatever else you like, but the relief of Clarke leaving without having to pay him off was overwhelming amongst fans and the local media. However, his likeable personality allows him to get away with his failings.
I thought Walsall fans "aren't bothered" he's left?

44 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Great post and after only 2 games in and 10 days in the job, I can already see the warning signs that the Walsall fans had told us about on the day he became the Vale manager. In particular everything revolved around the Stevenage game where no one could work out what formation was being played I one of the worst performances for quite a while.

The only difference this time is that we have a Director of Football who will be in charge of identifying players and no so much the manager.

Im still hoping we get a Bristol Rovers Clarke and not a Walsall Clarke but for me we currently have the Walsall Clarke which fingers crossed will change in the summer

Strange post.

If you couldn’t work out the formation we were playing against Stevenage then I wonder about your knowledge of the game and certainly don’t think you have the ability to “pick up warning signs” after such a short period of time.

DC has taken over and his first priority has been to stop the leak of goals. He HAS made us more solid (with players low on quality that don’t fit the way he wants to play) ... yes this has been done at the expense of attacking flair but that was the immediate fix needed.

But as the worlds biggest Derek defensive Adams fan surely you see the value in that. Truth is you would have been against anyone who wasn’t your beloved Adams. 

Let’s see what business we do in the summer as Clarke and Flickers overhaul the squad.

Your beloved Derek played Stevenage recently... so you know that stats?

They drew... oh my goodness 

The had 8 shots to Stevanages 22... oh my goodness

They had 34% possession ... oh my goodness.

And he has been there 18 months and built his own squad!!!!

In Fact super Derek drew against them earlier in the year as well when they were absolutely awful.

And yes Eddie, I know you don’t like me and think I pick on you... but it’s because I disagree with your negative Adams worshiping driven agenda. It’s a football forum where people give their opinions and mine is you couldn’t wait for the opportunity to dig into DC and have leapt onto a salty Walsall fans post with glee.

We are about to enter a horrendous run, I don’t think we will pick up many points playing some of the better sides in the league... but to jump up and down on him THIS early... that’s an agenda.

47 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Great post and after only 2 games in and 10 days in the job, I can already see the warning signs that the Walsall fans had told us about on the day he became the Vale manager. In particular everything revolved around the Stevenage game where no one could work out what formation was being played I one of the worst performances for quite a while.

The only difference this time is that we have a Director of Football who will be in charge of identifying players and no so much the manager.

Im still hoping we get a Bristol Rovers Clarke and not a Walsall Clarke but for me we currently have the Walsall Clarke which fingers crossed will change in the summer

In fact lets dig into this a little further.

You Clearly wanted Adams... you were obsessed.

Lets look at his first 2 months in charge of Morcambe.

Drew 1-1 with Crawley

Lost 5-0 to Crewe

Drew 1-1 with Carlisle

Lost 3-0 to Plymouth

Won 2-1 with Newport

Lost 1-2 to Oldham

Lost 1 -0 to Cambridge

Lost 1-0 to Bradford

So 2 draws and 2 spankings against teams the the top in his first 4 games... followed by 1 win and 3 losses in the next 4 would you have deemed that good enough?... would that have given you warning signs? Would you have been on here saying Adams isnt right and you are worried?

No... weird agenda. Get over it and wait to see what DC and Flickers do over summer. 

If its rubbish then... moan away and fill your boots, I will probably join you. But to do it after 2 games in a week and a half is just an agenda. 

Appreciate the views of Saddle sore , perhaps the sore bit is telling..

Not many managers leave with glowing endorsement from the fans. We'd of been the same if Page was poached, boring football, no excitement, etc etc.

I'll form my opinion of Clarke based on Port Vale not elsewhere.

So far it's been a grim watch and he's tinkering around trying to fathom out this rag tag bunch. Noticeable Walsall have not improved since his departure despite Brian being the second coming . 

46 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

Again, you total <Edit>

I have asked you many times not to respond to my posts. The next time you do I will report you for harassment.

DO YOU GET IT?

Calm don’t and don’t swear at me... that’s abuse and against forum rules.

This is a football forum for people to discuss their opinions on both the club and other people’s opinions of the club.

You don’t get to decide who I reply to I’m afraid.

Wpukd you have been calling Derek Adams out after his first 2 months? It’s a simple question.

Anyways back on topic we conceded 5 goals the last time we play orient and Stevenage. We have conceded 15 in the last 7 games his first job is to stop us leaking goals. I'm not certain he's the right man for the job but who is. He has got a hell of a job on his hands just to keep us up and I'm afraid that's going to take some ugly and cagey performances. And let's be honest if professional footballers on a grand a week plus cant play in different formations it's time to pack in

7 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Anyways back on topic we conceded 5 goals the last time we play orient and Stevenage. We have conceded 15 in the last 7 games his first job is to stop us leaking goals. I'm not certain he's the right man for the job but who is. He has got a hell of a job on his hands just to keep us up and I'm afraid that's going to take some ugly and cagey performances. And let's be honest if professional footballers on a grand a week plus cant play in different formations it's time to pack in

Good points Dave... He may not be the right man because football is impossible to predict. Then again he may be... he has been promoted almost as many times as he hasn't in his career when you consider individual seasons!!

But I can see what he is trying to do... Making us harder to beat was imperative the way we were losing shape and shipping goals.

Once that foundation has been laid we can start to think about building the rest of the style of play. But importantly we will need the right players... It was clear on Tuesday night that we are lacking in quality or confidence (or both).

DC is trying to play tennis with a cricket bat at the moment! The time to judge is 10 games into next season when he and Flickers have brought in the players they want.

Expecting an immediate turnaround is madness. 

I admire his fight and honesty. I'm a little concerned about calling the players out all the time and he seems to be quite arrogant. Little more humble imo as all that can back fire big time. Ie losing the dressing room and setting your self up for a fall and stress if things don't go right.
Other than that time will tell. One things for sure, we can't keep finding ourselves in this new manager, clear out, get players in, put this season behind us and push next season cycle. Its tiresome and seems to be endless, year after year atm

1 minute ago, Bimbleabout said:

I admire his fight and honesty. I'm a little concerned about calling the players out all the time and he seems to be quite arrogant. Little more humble imo as all that can back fire big time. Ie losing the dressing room and setting your self up for a fall and stress if things don't go right.
Other than that time will tell. One things for sure, we can't keep finding ourselves in this new manager, clear out, get players in, put this season behind us and push next season cycle. Its tiresome and seems to be endless, year after year atm

Agree that that cycle is very tiresome... hopefully thats what bringing the Director of Football in will help with, a bit of longer term planning.

2 hours ago, saddlesore said:

Well lucky for us Flitcroft is in charge of recruitment then. So if Clarke's big weakness is recruitment then we are mitigating that with Flitcroft.

So his time at Rovers isn't irrelevant, but maybe his time with Walsall is.

I really hope he does well with us.

Have to say so far though I am not a fan of his talking style. Does come over a bit arrogant and already seems to be lining up excuses by blaming previous manager for player fitness and recruitment. Might be the case but I would have preferred if he just sorted it out without pointing fingers and kept this thought to himself- just my view

Archived