onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Official website: Port Vale appoints Darrell Clarke as new Manager

News Feed

I am always wildly optimistic when we appoint a new manager, which we have done with too much regularity. If memory serves me correctly the last time we recruited a manager from another football league club that was in a higher position than us in the league was in 1951.  At that point we were bottom of the league in the lowest tier, yes absolutely rock bottom. We recruited Freddie Steele. In the 4 months left of that season we went from 24th to 13th.

The next season, the new manager's first full season we finished second.

The next season, his second full season, we were champions, and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup with, arguably, our greatest ever team.

Every member of that greatest ever team was at Port Vale when we were bottom of the league at the time Freddie Steele arrived.  We went from bottom to glory with exactly the same set of players, all that changed was the manager.

We should not ignore the lessons of history.

I also note that in the two years and a couple of months since Mr Clarke left Bristol Rovers they have sacked three managers.  That is an even bigger turn round than Port Vale experienced.  Clearly, no one has been able to get near the work he did at that club.

Welcome to Port  Vale

Advert

I've looked at an interview on you tube about recruitment of loan signings in the transfer window. What I liked was the fact he hinted that with the players he took on there was a chance of a permanent deal. I've always thought apart from a short term fix there is not a lot to be gained by the club if the player goes back to his club. Far better as in Jake Taylor's we sign him eventually and develop him into a saleable asset. UTV

MISSING PERSON REPORT!

NOT BEEN SEEN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS SINCE THE POSITIVE NEWS ABOUT VALE MANAGER!

NAME - TYLER B  

NORMALLY SEEN HOLDING A POOL CUE

USUALLY SEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT EVERY DECISION PORT VALE FOOTBALL CLUB MAKE 

DO NOT APPROACH IF SEEN COULD BE DANGEROUS AS HE MUST BE ANGRY THAT HE DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT AND CAROL HAS ACTUALLY DONE A GOOD JOB IN APPOINTING A MANAGER

Bring back the good old days and put a infrastructure in ,build foundations solidly not on a  flimsy past  ,hoping for a better tomorrow and future for the Vale without foundations tomorrow will be like the past easily breakable .

Welcome to the club Darryl Clarke and better to have two heads than one especially when the other is David Flitcroft where the teams concerned ,let's hope that your enthusiasm and passion runs off on them who put the shirts on .

The very best of luck to you both and if your successful that's the karma and the least Carol Shanahan deserves 

UTV 

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

If your manager chooses to leave your club to go to a rival, below you in the same league, do you really think there would be any supportive comments?

For a fanbase that "isn't bothered" he's left them for us, they aren't half going on about it! 

I just thought, across a spectrum of forum users (and there appears to be a fair number on there), that some, or even one or two, might express disappointment in Clarke no longer being their manager (as its not like they are struggling and were needing to change things), but not a single person was upset about losing him, and were instead all glad to be shot of him.

It clearly hasn't worked for him there, so let's hope we see more of the 2014-2018 Clarke from Bristol Rovers.

51 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

I am always wildly optimistic when we appoint a new manager, which we have done with too much regularity. If memory serves me correctly the last time we recruited a manager from another football league club that was in a higher position than us in the league was in 1951.  At that point we were bottom of the league in the lowest tier, yes absolutely rock bottom. We recruited Freddie Steele. In the 4 months left of that season we went from 24th to 13th.

The next season, the new manager's first full season we finished second.

The next season, his second full season, we were champions, and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup with, arguably, our greatest ever team.

Every member of that greatest ever team was at Port Vale when we were bottom of the league at the time Freddie Steele arrived.  We went from bottom to glory with exactly the same set of players, all that changed was the manager.

We should not ignore the lessons of history.

I also note that in the two years and a couple of months since Mr Clarke left Bristol Rovers they have sacked three managers.  That is an even bigger turn round than Port Vale experienced.  Clearly, no one has been able to get near the work he did at that club.

Welcome to Port  Vale

Surely the last time we paid compo for a player manager? Also with a Mansfield connection,

Vale Victory  I’m sure we paid money to Brighton for Brian Horton when bell sacked John rudge

Wow port vale taking a manager from Brighton

You are correct, however time plays tricks on the memory. At the time Brighton were two divisions lower than Port Vale, and very close to going out of the league. They had no ground and were playing home games at Gillingham.  So it sounds good now, back in the day, he was clearly coming to a much bigger better club.  When we took Neil Aspin from Gateshead, that team were closer to Port Vale then than Brighton were to us when Horton came.

Fosse 69 Surely the last time we paid compo for a player manager? Also with a Mansfield connection

I am not certain , but I think that could have been only the second time ever that a player-manager was transferred for a fee.   My memory of facts (as I was not born) suggests that Ivor Broadis from Carlisle to Sunderland was the first to do that.  Historians and facts checkers may wish to explore this one in a bit more detail 🙂

11 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

Fosse 69 Surely the last time we paid compo for a player manager? Also with a Mansfield connection

I am not certain , but I think that could have been only the second time ever that a player-manager was transferred for a fee.   My memory of facts (as I was not born) suggests that Ivor Broadis from Carlisle to Sunderland was the first to do that.  Historians and facts checkers may wish to explore this one in a bit more detail 🙂

Ivor`s Wiki is a fantastic read, player-manager at 23, transferred himself to Sunderland, carried on training at Carlisle under new manager Shankly, 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2020/12/04/careful-darrell-clarke-eyes-walsall-transfers/

Walsall are really struggling financially. Clarke was hamstrung there. They made 13 redundancies where as we have taken on staff/coaches.

If you've not got any money then you might not be able to play champagne football and have to find a system that works to get results.

I can't understand Walsall fans being unhappy with Clarke given they're 6 points off the playoffs. Does the unhappiness come from wild expectations that they should be top?

Archived