onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Official website: Port Vale appoints Darrell Clarke as new Manager

News Feed

This was an appointment Ididn’t expect.

Firstly I have to say, the last few times I seen us play Walsall I’ve thought they looked a decent outfit, and always seemed a yard quicker in thought and more skilful than us. 

So I’m cautiously optimistic. I have to say that I remain sceptical about the DOF model. Are we that complex a club to operate, loitering in the lower reaches of L2 for what will be the 5th successive year, really?

We have now got two guys who are both successful managers in their own right and need to be completely in tune. I suspect we’ll know pretty soon whether it a match made in Heaven or an absolute disaster. 

Flitcroft has never really struck me as someone who would be happy to take a backseat, and Clarke clearly knows what he wants (was it a quad substation he made against us?)

But....excited for Saturday to see what the new regime brings. And hats off to Carol again for sorting this. She deserts success. 

Up The Vale! 

Advert

Just now, ELDERBEZZA said:

Exactly!Michael Brown comes to mind.He never watched the game as spent most of his time moaning at officials.To think ,he is on BBC R5Live,  as a summariser nowadays.Some expert he is🤔🤔

I've mentioned before that histrionics and arm waving might impress the fans but are largely meaningless. The best we've ever had - Sir Alf - was very circumspect and conservative on the bench, as were the likes of Matt Busby, Bob Paisley and several more I could mention. Rudgie was similar.

I'd rather they focussed on the game and put their thoughts into practice at half time or into making judicious use of subs. Getting too wound up can often be counter productive.

20 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

I’ll stand my ground against anyone!!! I’m not a negative poster just a realist, good luck to the bloke, am I excited about the appointment- no but on attending last seasons match at vale park against the yam yams what I did notice was askey standing there arms folded probably wondering what he was having for tea while the whole Walsall bench especially the manager showed passion, lambasted the ref and liner at every opportunity and decision, that I liked !!!!!!! 

You accused Carol of causing nothing but a farce by appointing a DoF just another moth to feed if I remember correctly.

You also accused Carol .. " Simply because those that run the club haven't got a f@!king clue, period !!!!! "

You also thanked Carol for " Another false dawn " 

And you say your not a negative poster.....Jog on. 

10 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

You must love Warnock then.

Never understood why folk think its passionate to lambast the officials at every opportunity.  Its actually rather pathetic from a management point of view when you think about it.  There is nothing you can do to change a decision or influence the next of the officials, you can't reorganise them, swap them around or do anything with them to change a game.  So instead of wanting a manager jumping up down like a spoilt kid shouting and swearing at the referee shouldnt we want them concentrating on what they can influence, the organisation and tactics of there own team?  That's passion, referee bating is just childish petulance.

Whilst I agree in the main, I think that if the officials are clearly wrong then both the players and/or staff should let their feelings be known rather than meekly accepting the decision as if nothing had happened.  You've got to let 'em know in the right manner, without being petulant, letting it affect your game, or getting yourself booked.

I think you can see sometimes whilst watching a game that a ref knows he's got it wrong.  It's surprising at our level how many times you see the ref try to "even things up" for the rest of a game when an important decision has been incorrect.

If your Mrs cheated on you and left you for another bloke would you tell people how lovely she was before that? 

Looking at their forum they really hate us... odd as that rivalry died a generation or so ago! Almost have that Crewe like obsession about them with us reading that.

It doesn’t look overly rosey at Walsall so depends how much his hands were tied, losing your best players won’t help... I’d guess their worries should be why he’s left for Vale, that would be my concern had Askey walked out for them for example.

We know we will back him, it’s a project and he will have tools to work with, we are a bigger club with a bigger fan base and set up regardless of form or who’s beaten who and bigger finances now. Saw a comment from one of their fans that the Shanahans haven’t got money to throw around and can’t finish the stand... nothing to do with the £5 million they’ve paid to save us then... or the pay off for Askey... or purchasing Jake Taylor... or the money spent on Flitcroft and today...

Not Salford or Mansfield levels but hopefully enough to finally flex the muscles of the clubs size which has been neglected for a couple of decades now.

Not arsed about the quality of football as long as we get results for now, and in fairness it’s one of those... Walsall fans will slate him, Bristol Rovers fans revere him as a god so you know have to pick the bones between the two I guess.

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Looking at their forum they really hate us... odd as that rivalry died a generation or so ago! Almost have that Crewe like obsession about them with us reading that.

It doesn’t look overly rosey at Walsall so depends how much his hands were tied, losing your best players won’t help... I’d guess their worries should be why he’s left for Vale, that would be my concern had Askey walked out for them for example.

We know we will back him, it’s a project and he will have tools to work with, we are a bigger club with a bigger fan base and set up regardless of form or who’s beaten who and bigger finances now. Saw a comment from one of their fans that the Shanahans haven’t got money to throw around and can’t finish the stand... nothing to do with the £5 million they’ve paid to save us then... or the pay off for Askey... or purchasing Jake Taylor... or the money spent on Flitcroft and today...

Not Salford or Mansfield levels but hopefully enough to finally flex the muscles of the clubs size which has been neglected for a couple of decades now.

Not arsed about the quality of football as long as we get results for now, and in fairness it’s one of those... Walsall fans will slate him, Bristol Rovers fans revere him as a god so you know have to pick the bones between the two I guess.

Great post. Well said. Up the Vale ! 

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Looking at their forum they really hate us...

There would inevitably be some sour grapes on their part but its really striking how not a single one of them is disappointed that they're losing him, in fact its very much the opposite.

The vast majority really slate him and are delighted to see the back of him - remarking on his arrogance, self-obsessed big-headedness, who bangs on about his "badges", has a poor relationship with the fans and media, his selection of "mates" / favourites over more talented players, poor tactics and lack of progression over 18 months and 4 transfer windows.

Lets hope he proves them wrong on all counts.

9 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

You must love Warnock then.

Never understood why folk think its passionate to lambast the officials at every opportunity.  Its actually rather pathetic from a management point of view when you think about it.  There is nothing you can do to change a decision or influence the next of the officials, you can't reorganise them, swap them around or do anything with them to change a game.  So instead of wanting a manager jumping up down like a spoilt kid shouting and swearing at the referee shouldnt we want them concentrating on what they can influence, the organisation and tactics of there own team?  That's passion, referee bating is just childish petulance.

Agree.  Always refer back to Rudgie on this one.  He often used to sit quietly in the old small Lorne Street stand just behind me for the first hour.  Occasionally he would nip down to deliver instructions to the bench, before returning to his lofty perch, joining the bench for the last half hour.

Compare that to that clown Michael Brown who spent the whole game falling out with the 4th official or anyone who would listen.

it’s what you do Monday to Friday that makes the difference

This appointment shows yet again a massive investment in our football club by C&K. 

It also adds fuel onto the fire that is our rivalry with Walsall. I just hope that we can start winning the matches we have with them regularly now, something we've not managed since JRs reign. 

The word "win" comes across in DCs interview. That will be a good new motto! 

Looking forward to a summer of recruitment of decent players now.

UTV!  

6 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

There would inevitably be some sour grapes on their part but its really striking how not a single one of them is disappointed that they're losing him, in fact its very much the opposite.

The vast majority really slate him and are delighted to see the back of him - remarking on his arrogance, self-obsessed big-headedness, who bangs on about his "badges", has a poor relationship with the fans and media, his selection of "mates" / favourites over more talented players, poor tactics and lack of progression over 18 months and 4 transfer windows.

Lets hope he proves them wrong on all counts.

If your manager chooses to leave your club to go to a rival, below you in the same league, do you really think there would be any supportive comments?

For a fanbase that "isn't bothered" he's left them for us, they aren't half going on about it! 

Just watched his interview. The comment I liked was when asked what are you priorities and he interrupted and just went to win. I think that’s so important for us and at this level. Forget the style and get some bloody wins on the board. Looks like another character that won’t take any <ovf censored> from the players as well. Looking forward to see how / if we improve, just wish we could get down the vale and back him 

The walsall fans really hate DC and couldnt wait to get rid of him, (so they say) but here's a couple of snippets from the saddlers forum from December when they beat us. There is plenty more. 🤣🤣

That was an incredible game and we just never gave up at all.

Brilliant work from Darrell Clarke. I thought it was a weird desperate thing to do but he pulled it off.

Scrimshaw - excellent performance.

Scarr - excellent performance.

My nerves are in tatters.

2761_2.png

Incredible well done clarke :clap: and superb performance from kinsella and scrimshaw

5_3106a87f3677dd35281fbec33608aa01.png

MoM …DC ??? UTS

The Walsall comments mean nothing... we have no idea the constraints he was working under there. They seem to dislike their owner and they have sold his players from under him. Sounds like a toxic place with little or no money available which will impact the backroom as well as the playing staff. We have personally seen how that affects a group of players and staff.

His success at Rovers came under a DoF model.. at Walsall he has had to step up and do every job in environment of cost cutting... Spinning too many plates. A model we are wisely moving way from.

Facts are that after relegation he has come in and he has them now flirting around the playoffs.

Facts are that he has got Bristol 2 consecutive promotions.

Facts are that he developed Zac Jules into a £300k fee.

Facts are that he has brought in and developed their new star player Rory Holden... He has plucked him from Derry (after a series of uninspiring loan spells at Rochdale and barrow) and they are now very worried he will follow DC to the Vale. The man can improve players.

50 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Yes but they were happy he had gone before they had a clue he was coming here. 

Hi. Walsall fan here. You're right, we were happy as soon as the rumour arose. Most fans have been fed up with him since the beginning of his first season.

Like you, we were very positive about the appointment and he talks a good game, but it's all bluster. He just says what fans want to hear and criticises players in public. Refreshing honesty or poor management? Clearly the latter as no successful manager ever criticises his own players in interviews. They defend them and give them a ticking off afterwards. Not Clarke.

As you have mentioned, he's quite dour and can't motivate players, but not so much that they don't want to play for him, more that they never know when they'll be playing as he constantly changes formation and team. He changed formation three times in one half once.

He thinks he's managing a PL club or club in the Champions League with intelligent players who can adapt. They can't. They're in division four for a reason and need consistency and a clear message and definition of their roles, which they never got. They could be winger one game then lone forward the next.

It's not all bad though. He can spot a player and improve them. He just can't do the basics of management well. I actually think he'd make a good scout or coach to someone who can organise at a team, particularly a defence, but he's too arrogant to do that.

He's a Keegan type who wants his teams to win 4‐3, which is great when it works, but totally frustrating when there are constant holes and repeated errors in defence, as they're not familiar playing as a unit as the back 4 (or 3 or 5) is different each game.

This could go either way for you, but he hasn't been able to replicate his success at Bristol Rovers with us, probably because he hasn't got the luxury of a budget that 8,000 attendances brings, that he had there.

If someone can bang his head against a wall and tell him to play the same formation every week, and not worry about the opposition he could easily have got us promoted last season or flying high this season and could do the same for you. He won't listen though. The two periods (last Feb and in December) that we had a settled team we went on winning runs, but that still didn't sink in and he soon changed and the wins stopped.

He lasted as long as he did because he's likeable and he will win you games, just not as many as he should due to his tinkering and stubbornness, but the vast majority are chuffed we got compensation instead of having to pay another manager off.

Archived