onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, pete vale said:

I agree but I'm not going to defend poor recruitment during which hopes were so high. We could see the frailties and dependence on Brown, Legge, Smith, Joyce, Worrall and Pope. Muddling through was not at the forefront of my mind and I'm sure not the owners. Wins against Grimsby and Southend have given us some space and yes we are 'muddling' through which is a big disappointment to many and may well reflect in ST's and gates next season.

I go and have gone for what will be my 46th season next season but many won't and will need to be sold 'the dream' again

Agree entirely. I just meant muddling through and assuring our status . 

Then it's up to Clarke to completely revamp the squad and get rid of the deadwood and sad to say elder statesmen who have served us well. 

I agree with you that this wasn't how we anticipated it would go. 

Advert

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Agree entirely. I just meant muddling through and assuring our status . 

Then it's up to Clarke to completely revamp the squad and get rid of the deadwood and sad to say elder statesmen who have served us well. 

I agree with you that this wasn't how we anticipated it would go. 

I can't and won't defend this seasons showing to date, no one should but we move on with hope that finally things will move forward on the pitch. This is going to cost money, it already has. However, signing Taylor permanently, Rodney's improvement and the return of Gibbo are the positives. And lets be honest, if we perform on the pitch the way Clarke and Flitcroft talk the game, enjoy the ride! We deserve it folks.

Not really sure what the manager was going to do today that was too much different or what people expected to miraculously change. Surely it’s patently obvious (and the managers stated as much) that it’s a period of assessment til the end of the season at which point we rebuild again. Going back over Askeys recruitment and generally chucking the teddies out of the pram and over reacting after 1 game is just attention seeking, because they’ve already stated things need to change, they know that and have said it this last couple of weeks. So Im happy to trust that the management will know what needs to be done, but they can’t do anything till the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, TylerB said:

You're more than entitled to get as optimistic and positive as you want. That's good for you. I don't have to match your optimism or enthusiasm though. The result was decent today, everything else was pretty much the same, and will be until the manager has the chance to get rid of a lot of our players.

Agreed. Completely with you. But until then why continue to be so negative and knee jerk about everything? Back to Guthrie, I don’t really expect him to pull up any trees between now and the summer, and I’d be very surprised if we saw him in September. But he’s here for the next few weeks so I’ll support him. 

1 minute ago, grand prix pants said:

Agreed. Completely with you. But until then why continue to be so negative and knee jerk about everything? Back to Guthrie, I don’t really expect him to pull up any trees between now and the summer, and I’d be very surprised if we saw him in September. But he’s here for the next few weeks so I’ll support him. 

I've said on a few occasions that I can com across here as a miserable bastard. That it clearly rubs some people up the wrong way, I can't do much about that. Regardless, I don't think it's too surprising that someone would question a striker that hasn't scored a goal yet. This notion that I've "abused" Kurtis Guthrie is absolute nonsense. I think he's crap, sure, the same as I think Divock Origi is crap. I've not said anything whatsoever that could be considered personal though.

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I've said on a few occasions that I can com across here as a miserable bastard. That it clearly rubs some people up the wrong way, I can't do much about that. Regardless, I don't think it's too surprising that someone would question a striker that hasn't scored a goal yet. This notion that I've "abused" Kurtis Guthrie is absolute nonsense. I think he's crap, sure, the same as I think Divock Origi is crap. I've not said anything whatsoever that could be considered personal though.

Abuse - no. Incessant moaning and groaning -yes! 

16 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Not really sure what the manager was going to do today that was too much different or what people expected to miraculously change. Surely it’s patently obvious (and the managers stated as much) that it’s a period of assessment til the end of the season at which point we rebuild again. Going back over Askeys recruitment and generally chucking the teddies out of the pram and over reacting after 1 game is just attention seeking, because they’ve already stated things need to change, they know that and have said it this last couple of weeks. So Im happy to trust that the management will know what needs to be done, but they can’t do anything till the end of the season.

The words ‘blatantly’ and all Clarke needs to do is spend a few hrs in a darkened room Watching the dog <ovf censored> performances served up to realise who’s a good enough and who’s a pub team player. Worry is most will fall into the category of pub team !!!!! Worrying times ahead me thinks 

52 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I didn’t think any players were bad today. Seemed to me like we’d set up to get a draw and we did. On another day things might have been different, if Hurst had scored, if rodneys header was a few inches lower, if Gibbo was 2 yards further to his left. Not sure I agree with the criticism of Crookes today. 

I think Crookes showed his limitations today. Generally he defended well, apart from one incident in the first half when he gave away a completely avoidable free kick in a dangerous position, but he lacks any sort of creative play. His distribution in particular is very poor and you could never expect him to overlap in the way, for example, that Gibbo does. Therein lies the difference of course - but he's only one of a long list of players in the squad whose quality wouldn't stand a great deal of scrutiny. 

And one of many that I dare say won't be around next season. We haven't had a good left back since Tankard or Hughes and it has definitely been a problem position for us. I would have preferred to see Monty there today but it would have been a serious risk and I can understand why DC selected Crookes. In the circumstances, it was the right decision.

Anyway, really, really looking forward to a close season of proper recruitment. 

Archived