onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

Cant complain with a 1 1 draw away at leyton orient its not a ground we tend to do well at. Defence looked solid at times but also had a few errors in there so there's still work needed to do with the back 4. Guthrie works hard but doesn't look like scoring at the moment could do with one that hits him and goes in or getting  a tap in kind of goal.

Advert

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Guthrie works hard, wins headers, works the channels and brings others into play. If he was knocking in goals every other week he wouldn’t be playing in league 2.

What about once a season? I’m all for him doing what you say. But at the same time he is a forward and does have to score a few goals 

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

To fetch his shooting boots that he clearly didn't bring?

How many chances has Guthrie had to shoot since he has come to the club? None. I don't recall him missing any shooting chances. 

What he is doing is occupying defenders, winning his fair share of headers, holding the ball up, bringing others in to play which allows us to play higher up the pitch.  He is giving us the mobile presence we desperately needed.

Decent point today, especially if we get a result on Tuesday. I have said previously we have to big a squad at the Vale, we have had for years, because we fill it with to many journeymen, we have done this for years. So I was pleased to hear DC say today we have to big a squad. I am confident it will be sorted.

in the meantime stop posting he won’t score, he cannot defend, and get behind the lads, we need to pick points up now, any way we can. And then let the management team work their magic  close season.

6 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how many of the present squad will be at vale in 12 months Time,  (barring any on silly contracts!!) ??????

He does like a clear out does Clarke often turning around 12-16 players so i think there will be massive changes in the summer.

Regarding what people are saying about Guthrie,i thought he started off well in his first few games for us BUT i will say he has been poor in the last 2 for me,as i said earlier i would of liked to see Rodders and Swan up top today,plenty of pace and tricks in those 2 i think,i hope we see it Tuesday. Worrall having to go off changed the play for us today,hopefully he is back Tuesday.

I think Conlon looked worse today as we were looking mainly to hit the ball long through the channels which bypasses the midfield a bit,having said that some wont agree but i dont think Joyce did much wrong today and also thought Crookes(apart from the odd blip) had one of his better games for us.

Need to go out for a win on Tuesday though,happy with a point and some positives,he isn't going to change it around over night with another managers team,Askey lost his first 4 i think. I will also say it looked like we had a proper manager on the touchline at last if you know what i mean

onwards and upwards

Guthrie was an OK stop-gap signing (until the end of the season) once Pope was ruled out for 8 weeks minimum.

Has he done enough so far to earn a contract for next season? Nowhere near IMO, but there are 17 games left for him to show that he's worth one of the 20(?) squad places for a club that hopefully will be aiming for the top 7 next season.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

How many chances has Guthrie had to shoot since he has come to the club? None. I don't recall him missing any shooting chances. 

What he is doing is occupying defenders, winning his fair share of headers, holding the ball up, bringing others in to play which allows us to play higher up the pitch.  He is giving us the mobile presence we desperately needed.

We desperately needed goals. He's scored a total of zero so far.

4 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

How have we desperately needed goals? We score enough its the defence thats the problem

None of our strikers score enough goals and that's been the case for a while. Just because we suddenly went dog <ovf censored> at the back doesn't mean we can suddenly ignore things at the other end of the pitch. And the signing of Guthrie hasn't changed that fact one little bit yet. Ask any striker at any level and they will tell you they are judged on goals.

5 minutes ago, TylerB said:

We desperately needed goals. He's scored a total of zero so far.

And he is creating the space for others to get the goals. 

We are have one the best records in the league for scoring goals... that is not our issue!

3 minutes ago, MBE said:

And he is creating the space for others to get the goals. 

We are have one the best records in the league for scoring goals... that is not our issue!

We'll agree to disagree. When he ends up with 1 or maybe 2 goals in about 20 appearances for us come the end of the season, if that's deemed acceptable because at times he created space for others then I give up.

There's a reason why 13th placed Bradford who have scored 31 goals all season wanted rid of him...

Archived