onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

Still feel 532 / 352 is the way to go with our squad. Benefits imo our two best attacking threats in gibbons and Monty. Should help us defensively as well with the extra man playing. 

Brown 

Brisley.  Smith. Olagunju. 
Gibbons                                Montano

Worrall    Taylor   Conlon 

Rodney   Swan 

Thats how id line up Saturday. Guthrie struggled last time out and is yet to score. We’ve signed swan who is supposedly highly rated so let’s give him a go. Manny would always start just never no if he’s fit! 

Advert

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

My guess I that he will go with a 442 at the weekend... I couldn't find an example of him playing 433 at Rovers or Walsall but he has used 442 a lot (as well as other formations given he has a reputation as a tinker man).

With limited time with a new squad, 442 is also easiest to coach with players knowing their role.

A plea that I fear will fall on deaf ears with some... please don't expect us to come out and win every week now. Its going to be a long slow rebuild which will not really get started until the summer when he can overhaul the squad.

With some of the more "emotional" fans we have on here I can see people quickly becoming frustrated if we don't see instant results. Some one said he was expecting 40 points points to be won between now and the end of the season... That's not only the form of champions but represents 74% of the points on offer and would win the league by a mile with over 100 points!!

We need realistic, calm heads... Based on past performance by some of our posters that will take some effort!!!

That was me why shouldn't you set high standards the bit about 40points I know its unrealistic but better than settling for 15  points or 4 wins etc and a few draws .

What have we 32 points from 28 games dreadful stuff that .

Years ago they had one of our former players on when Rob Page was in charge and he come out with some nonsense comment  about .

they were targeting the games against teams they thought they could beat but the sides they thought they couldn't it was a expected defeat .

I always thought it was 11 v 11 with the best coached and up for it side winning .

Maybe it's all fixed I have no idea but better to set a unrealistic target than every games a six pointer with 8 games to go etc .

Saturday is a must win in my view ,every game is now as we have wasted at least half the games with defeats and pathetic defensive work ,yeah its team game blah blah blah .

I want see some blood on them shirts this ain't no holiday camp .

It will take some effort with some of our fanbase they are utterly naffed  off and rightly so .

That want action not words .

The players need up there game .

Theres no hiding place .

You keep calm lad most of us are worried sick 

UTV 

24 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

That was me why shouldn't you set high standards the bit about 40points I know its unrealistic but better than settling for 15  points or 4 wins etc and a few draws .

What have we 32 points from 28 games dreadful stuff that .

Years ago they had one of our former players on when Rob Page was in charge and he come out with some nonsense comment  about .

they were targeting the games against teams they thought they could beat but the sides they thought they couldn't it was a expected defeat .

I always thought it was 11 v 11 with the best coached and up for it side winning .

Maybe it's all fixed I have no idea but better to set a unrealistic target than every games a six pointer with 8 games to go etc .

Saturday is a must win in my view ,every game is now as we have wasted at least half the games with defeats and pathetic defensive work ,yeah its team game blah blah blah .

I want see some blood on them shirts this ain't no holiday camp .

It will take some effort with some of our fanbase they are utterly naffed  off and rightly so .

That want action not words .

The players need up there game .

Theres no hiding place .

You keep calm lad most of us are worried sick 

UTV 

Nothing wrong with setting high standards... but setting a team in turmoil a target to suddenly start performing to a level that would deliver 102 points over a season is a bit unrealistic. In the last 5 seasons the champions have achieved 85, 93, 87, 99, 94 and 84 points.

Motivation is difficult... motivating a team low on confidence is even harder, telling them you suddenly demand they become the best team league 2 has ever seen would probably lead to them lose a bit of faith in you.

Saturday is not a must win... Saturday is a must see the players trying and applying themselves.  

What are you going to do.. start calling for DC's head if we fail to win?

I’d love Vale to win, but like Iron, I want some professionalism restored to the side. Commitment, passion and a bit of skill.

I’ll be looking at how it pans out over the next 5 games and see if the managerial experience influences the players we have. Everyone seems to think we are under achieving! 

Let’s at least get into mid table and wait until next season. Looking at the players on the books, I expect 8/9 to go.

2 minutes ago, Dangermouse3 said:

I’d love Vale to win, but like Iron, I want some professionalism restored to the side. Commitment, passion and a bit of skill.

I’ll be looking at how it pans out over the next 5 games and see if the managerial experience influences the players we have. Everyone seems to think we are under achieving! 

Let’s at least get into mid table and wait until next season. Looking at the players on the books, I expect 8/9 to go.

I'm expecting the same.. Clarke has overseen some big summer turnover of payers in the past. It will be an exciting one that's for sure!

47 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Nothing wrong with setting high standards... but setting a team in turmoil a target to suddenly start performing to a level that would deliver 102 points over a season is a bit unrealistic. In the last 5 seasons the champions have achieved 85, 93, 87, 99, 94 and 84 points.

Motivation is difficult... motivating a team low on confidence is even harder, telling them you suddenly demand they become the best team league 2 has ever seen would probably lead to them lose a bit of faith in you.

Saturday is not a must win... Saturday is a must see the players trying and applying themselves.  

What are you going to do.. start calling for DC's head if we fail to win?

Will not be calling for his head if they do not win ,he as being left with a massive job do but if the same team is picked as v Tranmere I will be extremely concerned at who we have hired .

I'll ge hoping that theres a tenacity about our play a will to win ,players blocking shots ,goalkeepers commanding his box etc .

We have to survive this season I'm excited about next but if we finish  3rd or 4 from bottom hardly going get any enthusiasm or money in the club make the changes what need to be made to strengthen the club .

Why they low on confidence theres no one at the games criticising them for there confidence be low ,theres no expectation on them and if there was there isnt any more,just out and play as a team and communicate and work that's all we ask ,we are Port Vale we do not expect us all of a sudden be Man City however we do expect effort heart and commitment and a team be proud of .

Are we under achieving I'd say we are we have a good enough team to win games of football but we cannot carry players who make obvious errors then go on and play well so they are picked for next game and do the same again ,there mistakes lower the whole teams confidence .

Anyway back to the game I always look forwards to the game why I have no idea ,let's hope there is a considerable improvement from the lets give Tranmere a free hit around our area all game .

4 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

What if the same back four are picked ,do you still think we stand a chance ,they stand off people ,giving free shots ,free headers .

I hope  David Flitcroft and Darrell Clarke have watched all the games or at at least all the goals we have conceded where you be ashamed concede them playing for the dog and duck .

We need changes at the back that's for sure I'm hoping theres at least 3 out the 4 are dropped from the tranmere game as we cannot afford go there and give Leyton Orient a leg up they are talented enough without the help of certain docile players who have being mainstays in our slide down the league .

Let's hope they are only part players in the future unless the new management can get them playing how they can but seem to have forgotten to do so 

Know what you mean and agree.  I am hoping they pick, depending on fitness of Monty and Gibbo and then look at the other 2 places.  Will it be Legge and Smith?  Or will they go with Mustapha Olagunju and give him a try.  Then on the bench Crookes and Brisley (depending on fitness).

You never know both of them may get Mills and Fitzpatrick to suddenly become footballers 🤣

They must have been working this week on how to defend crosses, free kicks and who marks who, shout and let others know when an opposition players makes a run and you have a marker.  Also you don't just stand there admiring the ball being lofted over your head to a player unmarked.  🤔

Always find it strange that a new manager comes in and the pressure is on him to tell experienced players how to do their job. Personally would have found that a total embarrassment if that had happened to me in my job. But hey, thats personal pride for you. Be great if we had some. You would almost think they didnt realise its their own careers they are playing for too. If the Vale dont sell you and you get released its virtually unheard of for a player then to go on to better things. Perhaps that ought to be pinned up in the Dressing room.

Guest Vale at home
4 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Always find it strange that a new manager comes in and the pressure is on him to tell experienced players how to do their job. Personally would have found that a total embarrassment if that had happened to me in my job. But hey, thats personal pride for you. Be great if we had some. You would almost think they didnt realise its their own careers they are playing for too. If the Vale dont sell you and you get released its virtually unheard of for a player then to go on to better things. Perhaps that ought to be pinned up in the Dressing room.

Well said. You talk a Lot of common sense. Come on the vale .. we need 3 points Saturday.. 

5 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Exactly!I can't remember the last player who went on to better things, after leaving Vale,thinking he was better than the club.Oh ,wait a minute,the world beater Ryan Burge😂😂😂😂😂

Guest Vale at home
6 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'm expecting the same.. Clarke has overseen some big summer turnover of payers in the past. It will be an exciting one that's for sure!

Yes I agree . 

... I assume that one of Flitcroft's next tasks - now that the manager's position is sorted - is to sort out Leon Legge's contractual position (if there is a problem), as to whether or not he will be available again this season.  I doubt that this will be sorted before the Orient game, but we could certainly do with the extra competition that he would provide at the back, unless we simply chuck the new, young lad in.

Archived