onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

new pitch

geoff1

1 hour ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Didnt Accrington recently do theirs at around £400k, although don't think that's got undersoil Heating.

How many games over the last few seasons have been lost to a frozen pitch ? Not many, lots of games have been called off due to the cold today so I would concentrate on the actual playing surface drainage etc. plus the cost of running undersoil heating and those  "Sun lamps " on wheels doesn't add up for me, plus wasting energy on a football pitch isn't very green.

Advert

7 hours ago, rayzer said:

We have had this debate so many times before. I do not think we need underground heating so I would anticipate a cost c £750,000.00. We could get a it 50% funded by the  Football Stadia Improvement Fund, which would leave us finding £375,000. If the club borrowed this amount I would assume we could pay this over a 20 year period and with interest rates as low as they are at the moment, I would anticipate repayments of c£2250.00 a month. I am not sure if the grant would be available if we were in the Championship so would be worth giving the idea some thought. At these figures there is definitely a chance of getting a business to sponsor the payments.

If you are going to the expense of a new pitch, you have got to have undersold heating. We are on about going forward. Look at how many games were off today, if we did get to the championship it would save us money in the long run

The pitch is is poor . I’ve spoken to a few players who have said it’s like a pudding and very hard to play on every other week.  When you sit in the stands it looks lovely and green, but it’s a very slow playing surface. Not sure how much the total cost would be to rip it up and get a hard based surface down but it would be so much better for us if we could. 

1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

A good topic of discussion this. I've harped on about it for years now. Although Speedy works wonders, our pitch is nowhere near good enough. It's right up there with one of the worst pitches at our level. We all know about the clay base etc but it has such a massive impact on the football we play & our players fitness levels.

You might say "it's the same for both teams"... but we have to play on it every other week & I'm certain it has a detrimental effect on us.

The amount of injuries & breakdowns off the back of injuries that we have as a club has to be linked heavily to our pitch. I'd even go as far as to say our training pitch at the side of Vale Park is just as bad & hinders us as a club.

It's a lot of money but the long term benefits could be huge, especially if we could get a proper training facility organised as well.

It all costs money & I understand that, but it would be right up towards the top of the 'to do' list for me. Better training facilities & a quality pitch would attract better quality players & in turn we would have less players struggling with injuries every season. Players fitness levels would improve dramatically.

One for the future perhaps, but I hope relatively soon!

That’s a good post and I’ve always said the same for a long time now. It needs doing if possible. Carol seems to always find a few quid so hopefully this is to happen soon as like you said it will benefit us massively in my opinion. The surface always looks dead to me and there’s never any zip in our play because of the surface. I could be talking a load of rubbish but I’ll always stand by this Opinion that it’s a poor pitch. 

18 minutes ago, kendo1876 said:

Kilmarnock and hamilton have had artificial pitches installed and seem to be way better than plastic pitches of yesteryear. Don't know of cost of installation but would think over the years it would prove cheaper than grass pitches.

I still don’t think you can have those pitches in the English league can you? Didn’t Harrogate have to rip theirs up for this season? 

... Don't Bradford have undersoil heating, from their brief stay in the top division, but are unable to use it due to the crippling cost of using it... I'm sure I saw something a couple of years ago quoting something like £8/10,000  per match to use it.  On the other hand, I suppose it wouldn't need to be used that often.

... Don't Bradford have undersoil heating, from their brief stay in the top division, but are unable to use it due to the crippling cost of using it... I'm sure I saw something a couple of years ago quoting something like £8/10,000  per match to use it.  On the other hand, I suppose it wouldn't need to be used that often.
Not worth running outside the Championship, where it is more likely to lose money having to shift a big game to mid week or lose a TV game. Suppose it could be installed when we are in the Championship . Whereas the drainage has always been a problem, and is more effective with a sand based pitch.

16 hours ago, Santa said:

The clay soil isn't great for drainage, and below that, the subsoil structure is poor because I think the area was a big marl pit that had been dug out and then filled in with whatever was at hand: rubble, slag etc. 

To do the pitch right you'd have to dig deep and replace everything.

proper job!

23 hours ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

I have some spare turf I would be prepared to dig up and donate. Probably enough to cover the keepers six yard area.

daily mail usually gives a packet of seeds in the spring, so if we all buy........................................................................................☺️

1 minute ago, jonti1969 said:

Our pitch has always been terrible. I remeber some of the drainage being redone years ago as we had large areas that were like a bog after any amount of rain. The one thing ive always noticed with our pitch is that it seems slow and the bounce is very poor.

under len parton it was like a bowling green!

42 minutes ago, jonti1969 said:

Our pitch has always been terrible. I remeber some of the drainage being redone years ago as we had large areas that were like a bog after any amount of rain. The one thing ive always noticed with our pitch is that it seems slow and the bounce is very poor.

I may as well say it: " The poor sods playing on it haven't been much better in recent times tbh"!

Archived