Jesse James

ClntonBoulton

Lovely heartfelt tributes to Jesse James, from a different era for footballers I have been thinking what Owd Sage would have had to say, he did mention to me how much he enjoyed the 69/70 season, I'm sure he had a scarf with the players names sewn on to it, you can't compare the different era's, but those lads ran literally through brick walls for the supporters ,something sadly missing these days, it's something I've never forgotten and dare I confess it was my favourite season ever for all kind of reasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Lovely heartfelt tributes to Jesse James, from a different era for footballers I have been thinking what Owd Sage would have had to say, he did mention to me how much he enjoyed the 69/70 season, I'm sure he had a scarf with the players names sewn on to it, you can't compare the different era's, but those lads ran literally through brick walls for the supporters ,something sadly missing these days, it's something I've never forgotten and dare I confess it was my favourite season ever for all kind of reasons.

Ken, you are correct in saying that Owd Sage had a scarf baring the players names on it, a black and white one, and to be honest, the stitching wasn’t the best in the world. We would have a laugh about it many years later. I am sure that Michael would be saddened by the sad news of Jessie passing away. It would be interesting to know who he would put on the top of his pedestal...Jessie or Popey. I suspect that Jammo might just pip it.

Edited by sinnott2spinnit
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

Ken, you are correct in saying that Owd Sage had a scarf baring the players names on it, a black and white one, and to be honest, the stitching wasn’t the best in the world. We would have a laugh about it many years later. I am sure that Michael would be saddened by the sad news of Jessie passing away. It would be interesting to know who he would put on the top of his pedestal...Jessie or Popey. I suspect that Jammo might just pip it.

Wouldn't be so sure..............🤣

Terrible news. 

As has been mentioned in other posts, his commitment was second to none and was certainly someone you would want with you in the trenches. 

Wasn't the match where he walked in the sea to ease his injured ankle Workington in the FA Cup? Also, bizarrely, wasn't it played on a Saturday evening? 

On a lighter note, Jesse was on the front of the Vale programme one season seen celebrating another of his Vale goals.

As everything about Vale excited me those days, I told my mother that Jesse James was on the front cover. My mother, whose interest in football could best be described as lukewarm, asked me why Vale would feature a cowboy on the front cover! And she wasn't joking! 

As sad, but true story!  

Younger supporters who probably tire of us old farts dwelling on the old times, may well have a different view had they been lucky enough to see Jesse & Co in action. No diving, no cheating, but plenty of full blooded challenges and plenty of punch ups with not a handbag in sight. 

Farewell Jesse and thanks for the memories. Especially those feisty Wrexham games! 

Also heard today that the old Wrexham 'keeper Dai Davies has sadly passed away. There won't be many left at this rate. 

Edited by RailwayRowdy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, robf said:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Does anyone have a link to confirm this so I can put it on the front page and pay tribute? I'm a bit hesitant to do so until it is "official" so if anyone has a link please PM me.

John James was before my time but I have a number of nice images of him and I'd be happy to pay tribute to another highly popular former player on the front page.

Thanks,

Rob

I have messaged you

3 hours ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

Where have you been hiding Ben? Hope you are keeping well.

Yes ok thanks Paul keeping a low profile Ha Ha 

Hope you are ok and the family

3 hours ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

Talking of Mick's scarg. Can anyone remember 'Dancing Frank ' as Mick would call him.

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

Wouldn't be so sure..............🤣

Jamo and Pope were/are Vale through and through. For anyone who did not see Jamo play i would say that he had more heart for the Vale. 

More heart for the Vale than Popey and that takes some doing. Thats how special Jamo was and will always be to those who saw him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Ben said:

Yes ok thanks Paul keeping a low profile Ha Ha 

Hope you are ok and the family

All is as well as can be expected during these troubling times Ben. Thanks for asking.
We are all keeping a low profile!!! I will be glad when we get back to something like normality, and watching the team from inside the ground again. In the meantime, I just hope the team starts to performs better, and we have a manager in place to take us forward. 

Just now, Sandyford_Lion said:

My drawing of the legend Jesse James.

20210211_065252.jpg

Like i said, i cant take the credit for this drawing. It was my mate Jacko at school.

Fifty years ago WOW. The drawing must have been from the picture above in the football mag Goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

The posts on this thread pay tribute to John James. I so well remember Old Trafford, Wrexham, scoring against Villa, a hat-trick against Bradford, penalty winner against Preston.  John James was slow, could not shoot and could not beat people.  That is not me talking, they are the words of Vale legend Roy Sproson. He also said John disproved the coaching manual as he would hold the ball all day long.

Gordon Lee turned him from a slow defender/half back into a magnificent leader of the line.

To Vale fans of my generation John James was our greatest hero. His commitment to the cause was unquestioned.  His determination was legendary.  His love for the fans was fully reciprocated. He was our talisman of the 69/70 promotion season. He was strong, focussed, would never give in and would run all day long. On the field of play he had the heart of a lion.  

His theatre was Vale Park, his stage was the Bycars End. Never once, did any fan ever say he let us down, or he didn't work hard.  If he had a bad game, he would still be there in the firing line giving it everything he had.

For fans not lucky enough to see him, let me tell you. In any Vale squad, of any generation since 69/70 John James would be an important member of your squad. If you needed a goal, he would find a way. His stats were not prolific.  He proves the fact that stats are not everything.

If he was in our current squad he would match the energy of Worrall, the presence of Popey, the scoring of Devante, the durability of Nathan, the enthusiasm of Gibbo, the reliability of Browny. 

I first saw Port Vale play in 1961, in that time, John James, is without doubt, on my list of top 3 most important prolific players who were genuinely loved by everyone. He is on a par right at the top, with Robbie Earle and Roy Sproson.

It was a pleasure to watch him. It is a joy to recall his achievements.  When will we see his like again?

Goodbye John James and thanks for the memories Sir 

Brilliantly put ....says my thoughts exactly. Thank you.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

image.jpeg.3951767b2320eb3a002c405f50fae4a1.jpeg

Some legends on there, sadly several no longer with us. 
Who’s the guy between Johnny Flowers and Bob Mountford? The only one I can’t place. 
Shows you how much the game has changed. We had a manager and trainer and that was it. Nowadays there’s loads. 

• Like 1