Jesse James

ClntonBoulton

47 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

We were rubbish for a lot of the seasons in the seventies but still the best times for me.

John James was the best followed by Tommy Mac, Clint Boulton, Bobby Gough - viva viva

That sums it up for me, brilliant times, foot loose, fancy free and no commitments, those of us old enough to have been there have not had a great deal to shout about other than the Rudgey era.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially freezing night matches. Being spoilt at halftime with baked potatoes bought along by aunt Betty. Watching John James alongside his Vale team mate's in 'that' all white strip under the floodlights was magical. Smashing footballer was John, lionhearted and totally committed, always seemed to be covered in mud by the end of a game. Real hero to me, and like Clinton Boulton, one of the reasons that I fell in love with Port Vale. R.i.p Johnny 

Great post, Norfolk. So nostalgic, brings back all those memories from the days we had some  truly great characters with Johnny, bless him, among the very best. Just hoping we can get the good times back...

Didn't he refuse to get his hair cut until we lost a game from the start of the season, we went 18 unbeaten!!  Went the first 2 Wigan games only, doh.  Remember that Wrexham game so well, incredible, nearly 20000 at a division 4 game, shocked football. Like othets, my first hero, shocked and gutted. Again, reminds me how old I am now.

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

I could go with that I was in the stand near to that corner and as you say it is funny how your memory plays tricks, one thing I am certain about is Tommy Mac on the half way line, because a few years later I asked him about the incident and he said he went on the half way line because he didnt want to incite trouble...Yeah right.!!!

hahaha...more mischievous than a bad 'un!

2 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Sad sad day. R I P John.  Great memories from Jesse James at the Vale.

Once trying to draw a picture of Jamo at school and my mate finished it for me. It was brill. Took it the Vale on a match day and i am sure it was you Ray who took it in dressing room and had Jamo sign it for me. Need to find that drawing it was brill.

19000 at Wrexham and finished 1 - 1 Sure there was 7000 Vale fans there. Went in car with                     Mick [ owd sage ], Joe Dodd, and Eric the driver [ not sure of last name, i think it was Smith ] See Joe up the Vale and remember Mick telling me that Eric was still going up the Vale.

We were rubbish for a lot of the seasons in the seventies but still the best times for me.

John James was the best followed by Tommy Mac, Clint Boulton, Bobby Gough - viva viva

Great post...lovely story! So many good memories from those years - we weren't a great team, but we had a lot of great players, and those that weren't great players were often great triers! 

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Does anyone have a link to confirm this so I can put it on the front page and pay tribute? I'm a bit hesitant to do so until it is "official" so if anyone has a link please PM me.

John James was before my time but I have a number of nice images of him and I'd be happy to pay tribute to another highly popular former player on the front page.

Thanks,

Rob

3 hours ago, robf said:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Does anyone have a link to confirm this so I can put it on the front page and pay tribute? I'm a bit hesitant to do so until it is "official" so if anyone has a link please PM me.

John James was before my time but I have a number of nice images of him and I'd be happy to pay tribute to another highly popular former player on the front page.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob. I am really surprised that Tideswell has not followed this up. He was a real legend, loved by all those that remembered him.

13 minutes ago, Pops said:

Rob. I am really surprised that Tideswell has not followed this up. He was a real legend, loved by all those that remembered him.

And Radio Stoke not a mention but if it was a Stoke player that would be a different matter

I went to the Wrexham game by train with Phil Shaw. When we got back to the station, after the game, we got “stoned”!!! Unfortunately, not that kind of stoned, we got pelted with railway ballast thrown by Wrexham “fans”. 
Sandyford-lion mentions going to the game by car with Owd Sage. I remember Eric, your driver that day. He was nice chap but a madman behind the wheel. I think he had a Mini Cooper. He took me and Owd Sage to the Peterborough away game, before the motorways were built, so all A and B roads. Showing my age now. He was overtaking on blind bends in haste to get to the game on time. It was a midweek game, and we left the Wedgwood factory right on the finishing hooter and arrived before kick off. A nil nil draw, but I think we had secured promotion by then.

36 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

I went to the Wrexham game by train with Phil Shaw. When we got back to the station, after the game, we got “stoned”!!! Unfortunately, not that kind of stoned, we got pelted with railway ballast thrown by Wrexham “fans”. 
Sandyford-lion mentions going to the game by car with Owd Sage. I remember Eric, your driver that day. He was nice chap but a madman behind the wheel. I think he had a Mini Cooper. He took me and Owd Sage to the Peterborough away game, before the motorways were built, so all A and B roads. Showing my age now. He was overtaking on blind bends in haste to get to the game on time. It was a midweek game, and we left the Wedgwood factory right on the finishing hooter and arrived before kick off. A nil nil draw, but I think we had secured promotion by then.

You have never changed Paul

47 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

It didnt take Eric very long to get anywhere.

Always a pub stop on the way and on way home too. Travellers Rest Buxton to Leek was a favourite for all games Yorkshire way.

Best to have a nap on the way home and leave it to Eric.

The posts on this thread pay tribute to John James. I so well remember Old Trafford, Wrexham, scoring against Villa, a hat-trick against Bradford, penalty winner against Preston.  John James was slow, could not shoot and could not beat people.  That is not me talking, they are the words of Vale legend Roy Sproson. He also said John disproved the coaching manual as he would hold the ball all day long.

Gordon Lee turned him from a slow defender/half back into a magnificent leader of the line.

To Vale fans of my generation John James was our greatest hero. His commitment to the cause was unquestioned.  His determination was legendary.  His love for the fans was fully reciprocated. He was our talisman of the 69/70 promotion season. He was strong, focussed, would never give in and would run all day long. On the field of play he had the heart of a lion.  

His theatre was Vale Park, his stage was the Bycars End. Never once, did any fan ever say he let us down, or he didn't work hard.  If he had a bad game, he would still be there in the firing line giving it everything he had.

For fans not lucky enough to see him, let me tell you. In any Vale squad, of any generation since 69/70 John James would be an important member of your squad. If you needed a goal, he would find a way. His stats were not prolific.  He proves the fact that stats are not everything.

If he was in our current squad he would match the energy of Worrall, the presence of Popey, the scoring of Devante, the durability of Nathan, the enthusiasm of Gibbo, the reliability of Browny. 

I first saw Port Vale play in 1961, in that time, John James, is without doubt, on my list of top 3 most important prolific players who were genuinely loved by everyone. He is on a par right at the top, with Robbie Earle and Roy Sproson.

It was a pleasure to watch him. It is a joy to recall his achievements.  When will we see his like again?

Goodbye John James and thanks for the memories Sir 

I’ve not posted on the forum before now although I regularly read through it. But when I saw this very sad news I felt I wanted to break my “duck” on here and pass on my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Jamo was my first and all time hero at the Vale and I’ve often thought back on those years in the late 60’s and 70’s.

Jamo was Vale through and through and I think he must have bled black and white. I’m sure he would have run through a brick wall for the team. I remember reading in the Sentinel once that he was pretty much ruled out to play in an away game because of an ankle injury. I’m not certain of the opponents but I remember it was on the coast. Before the game he bathed his dodgy ankle in the sea then played in the game until he scored what I think was the only goal of the game and then came off. That was typical of his commitment.

Like other posters, I remember as a teenager being in the crowd for that away draw at Wrexham where there were 19,000 fans. Not bad for a 4th division game, that. Weren’t Vale and Wrexham first and second in the league at that time, hence the massive crowd? Wow, happy days. 

I also remember, as folk have already said, after he had left Vale, Jamo coming on as sub for Chester at Vale Park and receiving a round of applause from all the Vale fans. That’s how respected he was by us. They don’t make them like him anymore, worse luck.

RIP Jesse. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Archived