37 minutes ago, Alkie said:

Yes, it was an overhead kick, not the prettiest but it hit the net right in front of me. My first and only experience of Old Trafford.   How I wish it could be in a league match one day.

In the Stretford End last minute wasn’t it. School was great the following day. 

• Like 4

Advert:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just seen where Jamo has passed away.........OMG another of my boyhood heroes gone.....Sleeves over his hands chasing everything and throwing himself into diving headers on a muddy VP......RIP Je

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially

Great combatant for the Vale - well remember him being involved in a scrap by the corner flag, at Wrexham, and getting sent off - never shirked anything did Jesse, and he wasn't short of talent...and,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

It's funny how memories change over the years! I think you're right about Tommy Mac...but my memory says that when their players started to kick off, Jesse went steaming in and laid one of them out? And, yes - I think TM got away with it! haha 

• Like 2

Advert:

22 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

It's funny how memories change over the years! I think you're right about Tommy Mac...but my memory says that when their players started to kick off, Jesse went steaming in and laid one of them out? And, yes - I think TM got away with it! haha 

I could go with that I was in the stand near to that corner and as you say it is funny how your memory plays tricks, one thing I am certain about is Tommy Mac on the half way line, because a few years later I asked him about the incident and he said he went on the half way line because he didnt want to incite trouble...Yeah right.!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Played with John for a couple of years and even signed him when I managed Northwich. Great team player and pro. Sad day. RIP John.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Being of a certain age I am getting to dread seeing the name of a Vale hero as the thread name.

John Jessie James, I took my girl friend, and for her first match my  mum, and Dad to that Wrexham away match. Yes it was a massive crowd and to say it was feisty both on the pitch and off would put it mildly. Did it finish 2-2? I feel sure we didn't win.

My memory of another incident was being stood in the Hamil (as we did in those days) against Peterborough and kicking towards the Bycars. Tommy Mac going down on the Lorne Street side under a very heavy challenge from Jim Iley.  On the restart Jim Iley got the ball Lorne Street side. John ran at full pelt across the pitch from the Bycars and launched himself at Iley two footed and thump. Iley stretchered off and Jessie didn't wait for the ref, just walked straight down the tunnel. He was not impressed what Jim Iley had done to his mate.

Wonderful and very different days. You could chat with the players anywhere from the Vale cafe on Hamil Road through to the night clubs up Hanley or the ten pin bowling.

RIP John.

What a <ovf censored> time we are going through. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

Played with John for a couple of years and even signed him when I managed Northwich. Great team player and pro. Sad day. RIP John.

John James and yourself  are  held in high esteem in my 50 years following the Vale . 

• Like 4

Advert:

Remember his debut in the half back line with Terry Alcock and Clint Boulton, 3 teenagers the core of the future we thought that day. Looked up which game, it was a 3-0 defeat of Newport. What a fitting tribute a repeat would be.Guts and determination were in every game whenever he played, always appreciated.

• Like 5

The only time I ever saw an opposition substitute cheered on by a Vale crowd was when it was Jamo coming on for Chester, so high in esteem was he held.

May he rest in peace. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Pops said:

Sad sad day. R I P John.  Great memories from Jesse James at the Vale.

Once trying to draw a picture of Jamo at school and my mate finished it for me. It was brill. Took it the Vale on a match day and i am sure it was you Ray who took it in dressing room and had Jamo sign it for me. Need to find that drawing it was brill.

19000 at Wrexham and finished 1 - 1 Sure there was 7000 Vale fans there. Went in car with                     Mick [ owd sage ], Joe Dodd, and Eric the driver [ not sure of last name, i think it was Smith ] See Joe up the Vale and remember Mick telling me that Eric was still going up the Vale.

We were rubbish for a lot of the seasons in the seventies but still the best times for me.

John James was the best followed by Tommy Mac, Clint Boulton, Bobby Gough - viva viva

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pops said:

That sums up most of the lads in those days Ray.Brilliant memories and thanks for being part of that era.Again,RIP John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Some great memories in this thread.

Like everyone else I'll remember him fondly as a lad who gave 100% for the shirt and ran himself into the ground. The team we then had wasn't the most skilful but they fought for each other and had an affiliation and a love for Port Vale FC.

I too recall the penalty in the home game against Wrexham (big rivals then), his extra time winner at Old Trafford, and I think he got a hat-trick in a home game that season as well.

Clinton Boulton the other week. Now John James.

Very sad news but they were part of our history and won't be forgotten.

RIP John.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Some great memories in this thread.

Like everyone else I'll remember him fondly as a lad who gave 100% for the shirt and ran himself into the ground. The team we then had wasn't the most skilful but they fought for each other and had an affiliation and a love for Port Vale FC.

I too recall the penalty in the home game against Wrexham (big rivals then), his extra time winner at Old Trafford, and I think he got a hat-trick in a home game that season as well.

Clinton Boulton the other week. Now John James.

Very sad news but they were part of our history and won't be forgotten.

RIP John.

Add JJ to the mix and we've had a bad run......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, THE DAD said:

RIP Jessie. A girl in my class at school was related to Johnny and she got me his autograph along with nearly all the squad. I remember the headline on the back of the Daily Mirror after he scored at Old Trafford to beat Wigan in the second FA Cup replay 2nd replay "Home James"It said it all really.

Crikey, I remember that game at Old Trafford. Thought we were never going to beat them after the first two games. Then Johnny James turns up and lo and behold, we're through. It just had to be him, didn't it! 😀

• Like 4