Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Advert:


  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just seen where Jamo has passed away.........OMG another of my boyhood heroes gone.....Sleeves over his hands chasing everything and throwing himself into diving headers on a muddy VP......RIP Je

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially

Great combatant for the Vale - well remember him being involved in a scrap by the corner flag, at Wrexham, and getting sent off - never shirked anything did Jesse, and he wasn't short of talent...and,

Posted Images

My first true hero. Think the programme used to describe him as ungainly but effective and hails from Stone and his colleagues think he's made of it. Loved his penalty v Wrexham in 1969 when we all gave their keeper <ovf censored>

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad news about Johnnie James (Jamo), another one of Gordon Lee's tricky whites, that team was packed with characters :

Keith Ball, Clinton Boulton, Ronnie Wilson, Roy Cross, Roy Sproson Tommy Mac, Bobbie Gough Micky Morris.

What a team of battlers and scrappers, "Never mind the ball, get on with game" 

One of the few lads who would play at centre half or the big number 9

Thanks for the memories Jamo.

Edited by blackdog
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


What a great player for the Vale - Mr Never Say Die. Must have been the first on the team sheet because whenever he played, you'd always got a chance. Loved watching him harass defenders, rob them of the ball and make summat out of it.

What we would do for someone with his spirit in the squad today.

RIP, fella - fondly remembered and sadly missed.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jameo with his long hair and his eye foe a goal. I remember him back in 1967 in the all white strip. Gave 100% and later went to play for Chester and Tranmere.

Regards and condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially freezing night matches. Being spoilt at halftime with baked potatoes bought along by aunt Betty. Watching John James alongside his Vale team mate's in 'that' all white strip under the floodlights was magical. Smashing footballer was John, lionhearted and totally committed, always seemed to be covered in mud by the end of a game. Real hero to me, and like Clinton Boulton, one of the reasons that I fell in love with Port Vale. R.i.p Johnny 

Made me smile that cos me and my cousin used to say bet he'll be the first one get his shirt dirty and he usually was....throwing himself at everybody and everything with that mop of hair bouncing around everywhere. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gutted to hear this sad news.Jessie was a brilliant lad and well respected by all Vale fans. Gritty forward who was the opposite to the great Mick Cullerton, he got his kit filthy😂😂RIP John James,thanks for the memories and effort .

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


6 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Great combatant for the Vale - well remember him being involved in a scrap by the corner flag, at Wrexham, and getting sent off - never shirked anything did Jesse, and he wasn't short of talent...and, yes - that all white kit got dirty, quickly! RIP John - commiserations and best wishes to his friends and family.

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Jessie. A girl in my class at school was related to Johnny and she got me his autograph along with nearly all the squad. I remember the headline on the back of the Daily Mirror after he scored at Old Trafford to beat Wigan in the second FA Cup replay 2nd replay "Home James"It said it all really.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, THE DAD said:

RIP Jessie. A girl in my class at school was related to Johnny and she got me his autograph along with nearly all the squad. I remember the headline on the back of the Daily Mirror after he scored at Old Trafford to beat Wigan in the second FA Cup replay 2nd replay "Home James"It said it all really.

Ahhh a great night.....eventually against stubborn non League Wigan as they were then. Wasn't it in extra time with an overhead kick.?...Or am I romanticising it a bit. I'd had the day off school, ill but was desperate to go with my Dad. I remember him having words with Mother along the lines of...."but it's Old Trafford and we've got tickets!" The deal was struck that if I went I had to go school the next day......and lo and behold I had to go even though I was not well....hard but fair me Mum!

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, blackdog said:

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

Was that when the crowd was about 19,000? For a 4th Division game.....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


13 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Ahhh a great night.....eventually against stubborn non League Wigan as they were then. Wasn't it in extra time with an overhead kick.?...Or am I romanticising it a bit. I'd had the day off school, ill but was desperate to go with my Dad. I remember him having words with Mother along the lines of...."but it's Old Trafford and we've got tickets!" The deal was struck that if I went I had to go school the next day......and lo and behold I had to go even though I was not well....hard but fair me Mum!

 

Yes, it was an overhead kick, not the prettiest but it hit the net right in front of me. My first and only experience of Old Trafford.   How I wish it could be in a league match one day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackdog said:

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

That was the time when you got suspended by a number of days not games wasn’t it. I think he got 21. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...