onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jesse James

ClntonBoulton

Advert

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Does anyone have a link to confirm this so I can put it on the front page and pay tribute? I'm a bit hesitant to do so until it is "official" so if anyone has a link please PM me.

John James was before my time but I have a number of nice images of him and I'd be happy to pay tribute to another highly popular former player on the front page.

Thanks,

Rob

3 hours ago, robf said:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Does anyone have a link to confirm this so I can put it on the front page and pay tribute? I'm a bit hesitant to do so until it is "official" so if anyone has a link please PM me.

John James was before my time but I have a number of nice images of him and I'd be happy to pay tribute to another highly popular former player on the front page.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob. I am really surprised that Tideswell has not followed this up. He was a real legend, loved by all those that remembered him.

13 minutes ago, Pops said:

Rob. I am really surprised that Tideswell has not followed this up. He was a real legend, loved by all those that remembered him.

And Radio Stoke not a mention but if it was a Stoke player that would be a different matter

I went to the Wrexham game by train with Phil Shaw. When we got back to the station, after the game, we got “stoned”!!! Unfortunately, not that kind of stoned, we got pelted with railway ballast thrown by Wrexham “fans”. 
Sandyford-lion mentions going to the game by car with Owd Sage. I remember Eric, your driver that day. He was nice chap but a madman behind the wheel. I think he had a Mini Cooper. He took me and Owd Sage to the Peterborough away game, before the motorways were built, so all A and B roads. Showing my age now. He was overtaking on blind bends in haste to get to the game on time. It was a midweek game, and we left the Wedgwood factory right on the finishing hooter and arrived before kick off. A nil nil draw, but I think we had secured promotion by then.

36 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

I went to the Wrexham game by train with Phil Shaw. When we got back to the station, after the game, we got “stoned”!!! Unfortunately, not that kind of stoned, we got pelted with railway ballast thrown by Wrexham “fans”. 
Sandyford-lion mentions going to the game by car with Owd Sage. I remember Eric, your driver that day. He was nice chap but a madman behind the wheel. I think he had a Mini Cooper. He took me and Owd Sage to the Peterborough away game, before the motorways were built, so all A and B roads. Showing my age now. He was overtaking on blind bends in haste to get to the game on time. It was a midweek game, and we left the Wedgwood factory right on the finishing hooter and arrived before kick off. A nil nil draw, but I think we had secured promotion by then.

You have never changed Paul

47 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

It didnt take Eric very long to get anywhere.

Always a pub stop on the way and on way home too. Travellers Rest Buxton to Leek was a favourite for all games Yorkshire way.

Best to have a nap on the way home and leave it to Eric.

The posts on this thread pay tribute to John James. I so well remember Old Trafford, Wrexham, scoring against Villa, a hat-trick against Bradford, penalty winner against Preston.  John James was slow, could not shoot and could not beat people.  That is not me talking, they are the words of Vale legend Roy Sproson. He also said John disproved the coaching manual as he would hold the ball all day long.

Gordon Lee turned him from a slow defender/half back into a magnificent leader of the line.

To Vale fans of my generation John James was our greatest hero. His commitment to the cause was unquestioned.  His determination was legendary.  His love for the fans was fully reciprocated. He was our talisman of the 69/70 promotion season. He was strong, focussed, would never give in and would run all day long. On the field of play he had the heart of a lion.  

His theatre was Vale Park, his stage was the Bycars End. Never once, did any fan ever say he let us down, or he didn't work hard.  If he had a bad game, he would still be there in the firing line giving it everything he had.

For fans not lucky enough to see him, let me tell you. In any Vale squad, of any generation since 69/70 John James would be an important member of your squad. If you needed a goal, he would find a way. His stats were not prolific.  He proves the fact that stats are not everything.

If he was in our current squad he would match the energy of Worrall, the presence of Popey, the scoring of Devante, the durability of Nathan, the enthusiasm of Gibbo, the reliability of Browny. 

I first saw Port Vale play in 1961, in that time, John James, is without doubt, on my list of top 3 most important prolific players who were genuinely loved by everyone. He is on a par right at the top, with Robbie Earle and Roy Sproson.

It was a pleasure to watch him. It is a joy to recall his achievements.  When will we see his like again?

Goodbye John James and thanks for the memories Sir 

I’ve not posted on the forum before now although I regularly read through it. But when I saw this very sad news I felt I wanted to break my “duck” on here and pass on my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Jamo was my first and all time hero at the Vale and I’ve often thought back on those years in the late 60’s and 70’s.

Jamo was Vale through and through and I think he must have bled black and white. I’m sure he would have run through a brick wall for the team. I remember reading in the Sentinel once that he was pretty much ruled out to play in an away game because of an ankle injury. I’m not certain of the opponents but I remember it was on the coast. Before the game he bathed his dodgy ankle in the sea then played in the game until he scored what I think was the only goal of the game and then came off. That was typical of his commitment.

Like other posters, I remember as a teenager being in the crowd for that away draw at Wrexham where there were 19,000 fans. Not bad for a 4th division game, that. Weren’t Vale and Wrexham first and second in the league at that time, hence the massive crowd? Wow, happy days. 

I also remember, as folk have already said, after he had left Vale, Jamo coming on as sub for Chester at Vale Park and receiving a round of applause from all the Vale fans. That’s how respected he was by us. They don’t make them like him anymore, worse luck.

RIP Jesse. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Lovely heartfelt tributes to Jesse James, from a different era for footballers I have been thinking what Owd Sage would have had to say, he did mention to me how much he enjoyed the 69/70 season, I'm sure he had a scarf with the players names sewn on to it, you can't compare the different era's, but those lads ran literally through brick walls for the supporters ,something sadly missing these days, it's something I've never forgotten and dare I confess it was my favourite season ever for all kind of reasons.

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Lovely heartfelt tributes to Jesse James, from a different era for footballers I have been thinking what Owd Sage would have had to say, he did mention to me how much he enjoyed the 69/70 season, I'm sure he had a scarf with the players names sewn on to it, you can't compare the different era's, but those lads ran literally through brick walls for the supporters ,something sadly missing these days, it's something I've never forgotten and dare I confess it was my favourite season ever for all kind of reasons.

Ken, you are correct in saying that Owd Sage had a scarf baring the players names on it, a black and white one, and to be honest, the stitching wasn’t the best in the world. We would have a laugh about it many years later. I am sure that Michael would be saddened by the sad news of Jessie passing away. It would be interesting to know who he would put on the top of his pedestal...Jessie or Popey. I suspect that Jammo might just pip it.

16 minutes ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

Ken, you are correct in saying that Owd Sage had a scarf baring the players names on it, a black and white one, and to be honest, the stitching wasn’t the best in the world. We would have a laugh about it many years later. I am sure that Michael would be saddened by the sad news of Jessie passing away. It would be interesting to know who he would put on the top of his pedestal...Jessie or Popey. I suspect that Jammo might just pip it.

Wouldn't be so sure..............🤣

Terrible news. 

As has been mentioned in other posts, his commitment was second to none and was certainly someone you would want with you in the trenches. 

Wasn't the match where he walked in the sea to ease his injured ankle Workington in the FA Cup? Also, bizarrely, wasn't it played on a Saturday evening? 

On a lighter note, Jesse was on the front of the Vale programme one season seen celebrating another of his Vale goals.

As everything about Vale excited me those days, I told my mother that Jesse James was on the front cover. My mother, whose interest in football could best be described as lukewarm, asked me why Vale would feature a cowboy on the front cover! And she wasn't joking! 

As sad, but true story!  

Younger supporters who probably tire of us old farts dwelling on the old times, may well have a different view had they been lucky enough to see Jesse & Co in action. No diving, no cheating, but plenty of full blooded challenges and plenty of punch ups with not a handbag in sight. 

Farewell Jesse and thanks for the memories. Especially those feisty Wrexham games! 

Also heard today that the old Wrexham 'keeper Dai Davies has sadly passed away. There won't be many left at this rate. 

12 hours ago, robf said:

Hi,

Thanks,

Rob

I have messaged you

Archived