onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jesse James

ClntonBoulton

51 minutes ago, Pops said:

Played with John for a couple of years and even signed him when I managed Northwich. Great team player and pro. Sad day. RIP John.

Sad sad day. R I P John.  Great memories from Jesse James at the Vale.

Once trying to draw a picture of Jamo at school and my mate finished it for me. It was brill. Took it the Vale on a match day and i am sure it was you Ray who took it in dressing room and had Jamo sign it for me. Need to find that drawing it was brill.

19000 at Wrexham and finished 1 - 1 Sure there was 7000 Vale fans there. Went in car with                     Mick [ owd sage ], Joe Dodd, and Eric the driver [ not sure of last name, i think it was Smith ] See Joe up the Vale and remember Mick telling me that Eric was still going up the Vale.

We were rubbish for a lot of the seasons in the seventies but still the best times for me.

John James was the best followed by Tommy Mac, Clint Boulton, Bobby Gough - viva viva

Advert

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Played with John for a couple of years and even signed him when I managed Northwich. Great team player and pro. Sad day. RIP John.

That sums up most of the lads in those days Ray.Brilliant memories and thanks for being part of that era.Again,RIP John

Some great memories in this thread.

Like everyone else I'll remember him fondly as a lad who gave 100% for the shirt and ran himself into the ground. The team we then had wasn't the most skilful but they fought for each other and had an affiliation and a love for Port Vale FC.

I too recall the penalty in the home game against Wrexham (big rivals then), his extra time winner at Old Trafford, and I think he got a hat-trick in a home game that season as well.

Clinton Boulton the other week. Now John James.

Very sad news but they were part of our history and won't be forgotten.

RIP John.

11 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Some great memories in this thread.

Like everyone else I'll remember him fondly as a lad who gave 100% for the shirt and ran himself into the ground. The team we then had wasn't the most skilful but they fought for each other and had an affiliation and a love for Port Vale FC.

I too recall the penalty in the home game against Wrexham (big rivals then), his extra time winner at Old Trafford, and I think he got a hat-trick in a home game that season as well.

Clinton Boulton the other week. Now John James.

Very sad news but they were part of our history and won't be forgotten.

RIP John.

Add JJ to the mix and we've had a bad run......

3 hours ago, THE DAD said:

RIP Jessie. A girl in my class at school was related to Johnny and she got me his autograph along with nearly all the squad. I remember the headline on the back of the Daily Mirror after he scored at Old Trafford to beat Wigan in the second FA Cup replay 2nd replay "Home James"It said it all really.

Crikey, I remember that game at Old Trafford. Thought we were never going to beat them after the first two games. Then Johnny James turns up and lo and behold, we're through. It just had to be him, didn't it! 😀

47 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

We were rubbish for a lot of the seasons in the seventies but still the best times for me.

John James was the best followed by Tommy Mac, Clint Boulton, Bobby Gough - viva viva

That sums it up for me, brilliant times, foot loose, fancy free and no commitments, those of us old enough to have been there have not had a great deal to shout about other than the Rudgey era.

5 hours ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially freezing night matches. Being spoilt at halftime with baked potatoes bought along by aunt Betty. Watching John James alongside his Vale team mate's in 'that' all white strip under the floodlights was magical. Smashing footballer was John, lionhearted and totally committed, always seemed to be covered in mud by the end of a game. Real hero to me, and like Clinton Boulton, one of the reasons that I fell in love with Port Vale. R.i.p Johnny 

Great post, Norfolk. So nostalgic, brings back all those memories from the days we had some  truly great characters with Johnny, bless him, among the very best. Just hoping we can get the good times back...

Didn't he refuse to get his hair cut until we lost a game from the start of the season, we went 18 unbeaten!!  Went the first 2 Wigan games only, doh.  Remember that Wrexham game so well, incredible, nearly 20000 at a division 4 game, shocked football. Like othets, my first hero, shocked and gutted. Again, reminds me how old I am now.

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

I could go with that I was in the stand near to that corner and as you say it is funny how your memory plays tricks, one thing I am certain about is Tommy Mac on the half way line, because a few years later I asked him about the incident and he said he went on the half way line because he didnt want to incite trouble...Yeah right.!!!

hahaha...more mischievous than a bad 'un!

2 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Sad sad day. R I P John.  Great memories from Jesse James at the Vale.

Once trying to draw a picture of Jamo at school and my mate finished it for me. It was brill. Took it the Vale on a match day and i am sure it was you Ray who took it in dressing room and had Jamo sign it for me. Need to find that drawing it was brill.

19000 at Wrexham and finished 1 - 1 Sure there was 7000 Vale fans there. Went in car with                     Mick [ owd sage ], Joe Dodd, and Eric the driver [ not sure of last name, i think it was Smith ] See Joe up the Vale and remember Mick telling me that Eric was still going up the Vale.

Great post...lovely story! So many good memories from those years - we weren't a great team, but we had a lot of great players, and those that weren't great players were often great triers! 

Archived