onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jesse James

ClntonBoulton

13 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Ahhh a great night.....eventually against stubborn non League Wigan as they were then. Wasn't it in extra time with an overhead kick.?...Or am I romanticising it a bit. I'd had the day off school, ill but was desperate to go with my Dad. I remember him having words with Mother along the lines of...."but it's Old Trafford and we've got tickets!" The deal was struck that if I went I had to go school the next day......and lo and behold I had to go even though I was not well....hard but fair me Mum!

Yes, it was an overhead kick, not the prettiest but it hit the net right in front of me. My first and only experience of Old Trafford.   How I wish it could be in a league match one day.

Advert

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

That was the time when you got suspended by a number of days not games wasn’t it. I think he got 21. 

37 minutes ago, Alkie said:

Yes, it was an overhead kick, not the prettiest but it hit the net right in front of me. My first and only experience of Old Trafford.   How I wish it could be in a league match one day.

In the Stretford End last minute wasn’t it. School was great the following day. 

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

It's funny how memories change over the years! I think you're right about Tommy Mac...but my memory says that when their players started to kick off, Jesse went steaming in and laid one of them out? And, yes - I think TM got away with it! haha 

22 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

It's funny how memories change over the years! I think you're right about Tommy Mac...but my memory says that when their players started to kick off, Jesse went steaming in and laid one of them out? And, yes - I think TM got away with it! haha 

I could go with that I was in the stand near to that corner and as you say it is funny how your memory plays tricks, one thing I am certain about is Tommy Mac on the half way line, because a few years later I asked him about the incident and he said he went on the half way line because he didnt want to incite trouble...Yeah right.!!!

Being of a certain age I am getting to dread seeing the name of a Vale hero as the thread name.

John Jessie James, I took my girl friend, and for her first match my  mum, and Dad to that Wrexham away match. Yes it was a massive crowd and to say it was feisty both on the pitch and off would put it mildly. Did it finish 2-2? I feel sure we didn't win.

My memory of another incident was being stood in the Hamil (as we did in those days) against Peterborough and kicking towards the Bycars. Tommy Mac going down on the Lorne Street side under a very heavy challenge from Jim Iley.  On the restart Jim Iley got the ball Lorne Street side. John ran at full pelt across the pitch from the Bycars and launched himself at Iley two footed and thump. Iley stretchered off and Jessie didn't wait for the ref, just walked straight down the tunnel. He was not impressed what Jim Iley had done to his mate.

Wonderful and very different days. You could chat with the players anywhere from the Vale cafe on Hamil Road through to the night clubs up Hanley or the ten pin bowling.

RIP John.

What a <ovf censored> time we are going through. 

Remember his debut in the half back line with Terry Alcock and Clint Boulton, 3 teenagers the core of the future we thought that day. Looked up which game, it was a 3-0 defeat of Newport. What a fitting tribute a repeat would be.Guts and determination were in every game whenever he played, always appreciated.

Archived