onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jesse James

ClntonBoulton

Advert

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially freezing night matches. Being spoilt at halftime with baked potatoes bought along by aunt Betty. Watching John James alongside his Vale team mate's in 'that' all white strip under the floodlights was magical. Smashing footballer was John, lionhearted and totally committed, always seemed to be covered in mud by the end of a game. Real hero to me, and like Clinton Boulton, one of the reasons that I fell in love with Port Vale. R.i.p Johnny 

Very sad news about Johnnie James (Jamo), another one of Gordon Lee's tricky whites, that team was packed with characters :

Keith Ball, Clinton Boulton, Ronnie Wilson, Roy Cross, Roy Sproson Tommy Mac, Bobbie Gough Micky Morris.

What a team of battlers and scrappers, "Never mind the ball, get on with game" 

One of the few lads who would play at centre half or the big number 9

Thanks for the memories Jamo.

What a great player for the Vale - Mr Never Say Die. Must have been the first on the team sheet because whenever he played, you'd always got a chance. Loved watching him harass defenders, rob them of the ball and make summat out of it.

What we would do for someone with his spirit in the squad today.

RIP, fella - fondly remembered and sadly missed.

17 minutes ago, Norfolk Enclue said:

Ahh. Johnny James. Just hearing his name transports me back to a faraway and wonderous time. I'm that 8 year old lad again, on the Bycars with my 3 aunts all wrapped up in black and white, especially freezing night matches. Being spoilt at halftime with baked potatoes bought along by aunt Betty. Watching John James alongside his Vale team mate's in 'that' all white strip under the floodlights was magical. Smashing footballer was John, lionhearted and totally committed, always seemed to be covered in mud by the end of a game. Real hero to me, and like Clinton Boulton, one of the reasons that I fell in love with Port Vale. R.i.p Johnny 

Made me smile that cos me and my cousin used to say bet he'll be the first one get his shirt dirty and he usually was....throwing himself at everybody and everything with that mop of hair bouncing around everywhere. 

Great combatant for the Vale - well remember him being involved in a scrap by the corner flag, at Wrexham, and getting sent off - never shirked anything did Jesse, and he wasn't short of talent...and, yes - that all white kit got dirty, quickly! RIP John - commiserations and best wishes to his friends and family.

6 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Great combatant for the Vale - well remember him being involved in a scrap by the corner flag, at Wrexham, and getting sent off - never shirked anything did Jesse, and he wasn't short of talent...and, yes - that all white kit got dirty, quickly! RIP John - commiserations and best wishes to his friends and family.

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

RIP Jessie. A girl in my class at school was related to Johnny and she got me his autograph along with nearly all the squad. I remember the headline on the back of the Daily Mirror after he scored at Old Trafford to beat Wigan in the second FA Cup replay 2nd replay "Home James"It said it all really.

2 minutes ago, THE DAD said:

RIP Jessie. A girl in my class at school was related to Johnny and she got me his autograph along with nearly all the squad. I remember the headline on the back of the Daily Mirror after he scored at Old Trafford to beat Wigan in the second FA Cup replay 2nd replay "Home James"It said it all really.

Ahhh a great night.....eventually against stubborn non League Wigan as they were then. Wasn't it in extra time with an overhead kick.?...Or am I romanticising it a bit. I'd had the day off school, ill but was desperate to go with my Dad. I remember him having words with Mother along the lines of...."but it's Old Trafford and we've got tickets!" The deal was struck that if I went I had to go school the next day......and lo and behold I had to go even though I was not well....hard but fair me Mum!

29 minutes ago, blackdog said:

That game at Wrexham has certainly gone into the Old uns folklore, If my memory serves me right and I could be wrong but Tommy Mac clattered the Wrexham full back in the corner and left him for dead, Jamo went over to help the lad up and the Ref sent him off in the ensuing melee, Tommy Mac was on the half way line while all this was going on.

Was that when the crowd was about 19,000? For a 4th Division game.....

Archived