onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

Re Smith, in August and still in October I’d say he was amongst the best CBs in Leagie Two, I was surprised and delighted he re-signed. I just can’t explain what’s happened to him and I have a half baked theory about some post-viral thing because his form just dropped off a cliff. It might coincide with Legge’s form dropping which again, half baked theory but I think age has suddenly caught up with him, the first ten yards was always in his head but a couple of sendings off show even his reading of the game is no longer sufficient to compensate for lack of pace.

Advert

1 minute ago, gavcradd said:

I can see many mutually agreeable ways out of this. Let's see what happens.

Maybe you’re right, as you say it’ll get sorted sooner rather than later  now Flitcroft’s in. Of course, he’s a chancer but Mussie’s in that equation somewhere too.

I think the Ale and Vale Pod nailed it on Legge, too many games this season too quickly. First half of the season most weeks we played Saturday/Tuesday... Cambridge rest Hoolahan and he’s been outstanding for them... we didn’t manage him properly and the rest may have done Leggey good, I’d have him in Saturday especially as Maynard isn’t going to be a pacey problem for him to deal with.

If we’d managed him better I’m sure Legge would have been performing ok.

As for Smith I have absolutely no idea what’s gone wrong there. Even when we’ve been poor in recent seasons he’s always stood out and performed well but he’s gone completely to pot. Legge and the Huddersfield lad might be a decent pairing, experience to get the younger lad through and compliment each other well. Huge partnership physically should cope with the long balls better.

Smith RB if Gibbons isn’t back. Monty left back... would feel much better that.

How times and opinions change,.Last season we only needed a decent left back to complete a decent back four.This season,injuries and a loss of form from all the back four has wrecked the season.Time to get back on track now as  Gibbons is fit.I'm still convinced our back four can resurrect the season,subject to Legge contractual issues getting sorted.He was massive communicating with Smith last season.We are a quiet team again,apart from rentagob on the touchline.More high tempo in midfield and totally committed players will see us over the line,hopefully. 

Defence is the only thing that has cost us this year we're on course for 60 plus goals scored which is promotion form but we've nearly let in as many as last years 44 by game 37 and we're only on 28 played. They should be doing nothing but defensive drills in training until it's sorted

1 hour ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

How times and opinions change,.Last season we only needed a decent left back to complete a decent back four.This season,injuries and a loss of form from all the back four has wrecked the season.Time to get back on track now as  Gibbons is fit.I'm still convinced our back four can resurrect the season,subject to Legge contractual issues getting sorted.He was massive communicating with Smith last season.We are a quiet team again,apart from rentagob on the touchline.More high tempo in midfield and totally committed players will see us over the line,hopefully. 

You're right about Legge. Yes, his form dipped in the last few games he played but he is still head and shoulders above the rest - and that's literally part of out problem with Smith and Crookes lack of height - and he's also one of the few leaders we have on the pitch. I think it's noticeable that Smith, in particular, plays much better with Legge.

This will be another critical game with both Southend and Stevenage winning away last night at Newport and Tranmere. Who'd have thought it? It's three points on Saturday or we'll be anxiously looking over our shoulder. 

So, for me, it has to be Gibbo/Legge/Smith/Monty if they're all fit.

2 hours ago, dishydave said:

Defence is the only thing that has cost us this year we're on course for 60 plus goals scored which is promotion form but we've nearly let in as many as last years 44 by game 37 and we're only on 28 played. They should be doing nothing but defensive drills in training until it's sorted

I would not say it is just the defence that has cost us this.  Yes we have scored 40 goals in 28 games, but 11 were in 2 matches, 29 in 26 is hardly prolific.  60 goals would never usually get you promoted, you need be getting 70 to 80, Crewe, Plymouth and Swindon all had 60+ last year with 10 games remaining.  Defence is a big problem but I don't think they get much protection from our so called midfield and we can't seem to control a game of football so always seem to be on the back foot.

2 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

You're right about Legge. Yes, his form dipped in the last few games he played but he is still head and shoulders above the rest - and that's literally part of out problem with Smith and Crookes lack of height - and he's also one of the few leaders we have on the pitch. I think it's noticeable that Smith, in particular, plays much better with Legge.

This will be another critical game with both Southend and Stevenage winning away last night at Newport and Tranmere. Who'd have thought it? It's three points on Saturday or we'll be anxiously looking over our shoulder. 

So, for me, it has to be Gibbo/Legge/Smith/Monty if they're all fit.

I agree and I think we need to sign an experienced centre half who’s a leader to replace legge. Someone in their late 20s. 

Guest Vale at home
11 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I agree and I think we need to sign an experienced centre half who’s a leader to replace legge. Someone in their late 20s. 

Yes I agree . Good Luck for Saturday vale . 3 points need . 

Archived