onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

Advert

Saturday gave me the strong impression that while Guthrie runs around a lot, he won’t get us the greater number of goals we had hoped. I suspect Robinson would score more if we played to the strengths of an effective target man, which we have struggled to do for many years. 

47 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Saturday gave me the strong impression that while Guthrie runs around a lot, he won’t get us the greater number of goals we had hoped. I suspect Robinson would score more if we played to the strengths of an effective target man, which we have struggled to do for many years. 

Guthrie is a target man. Swan is a finisher. A perfect match, at leats on paper. No clue if it would work out that way in reality.

2 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Guthrie is a target man. Swan is a finisher. A perfect match, at leats on paper. No clue if it would work out that way in reality.

Problem is if we go 4-4-2 which I'm all for. Where does Rodney fit into the equation. 

He's our top scorer . Don't see him on the left in a 4-4-2.

57 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

There is no doubt that for months we have been vulnerable to any ball played between our defence and keeper. The constants in there have been Smith and Brown, discuss.

Both need to go IMO. Brown is still a fabulous shot stopper, but is too slow off his line, doesn’t command his box and is poor with the ball at his feet. Goalies need to be footballers as well these days.

I think we blundered massively signing Smith up on a bumper, long term deal. I’ve always thought him to be steady not spectacular especially given his lack of height (acknowledging he’s good in the air for his size), pace and ability on the ball. Whether he likes it or not he’s an experienced player and should be helping organise things a bit better. I think at any of the top ten in our league he wouldn’t be a starter.

Whoosh can hardly wait for the next installment of how not to defend by Port Vale or maybe just maybe the new manager and his team will be here ,and watch the goals from all the games conceded and try to amend it by playing someone else maybe and not be drawn into a players a good trainer and is selected etc but come Saturday will make mistakes which will ruin 6500 folks lives plus there partners regularly then go home and not give a damn .

Team no idea but I wouldnt play 3 of the back four yesterday again ever not together anyway and the goalie I'd be dropping him too ,you get off your line dominate the whole of the penalty area you do not need be glued to the line .

Midfield big game want Oyeleke in there with Conlon Joyce and Worrall .

That Swann looked lively so I'd give him a half with Rodney and a half with Guthrie.

Hope Gibbons is back and hope Legge can lead with Brisley at centre halfs I've seen enough of Smith thanks time to drop him for good ,Crookes we cannot afford give players time pick there spot but that's all the defence yesterday, social distancing does not apply to playing for the Vale .

Hoping for better and a new manager who can see through what a lot of fans on this forum cannot ,the blind leading the blind 

UTV 

I don’t agree about Robinson. He’s a dreadful footballer, who is lazy and doesn’t work for the team. I would have shipped him, McKirdy, Crookes and Mills out months ago. It’s one of the worst Vale teams in years. We need a manager to sort it out. It’s too nice at the moment, and we’re going nowhere. No leaders to be found. Pugh doesn’t want the job, so fair enough , but get someone else then. Get rid of Pugh , Sinclair and the rest of the hangers on, and freshen up the club on the pitch. It’s already been done off it. Time to move on , and time to weed  them out. That’s my tuppence worth. 

I don’t agree about Robinson. He’s a dreadful footballer, who is lazy and doesn’t work for the team. I would have shipped him, McKirdy, Crookes and Mills out months ago. It’s one of the worst Vale teams in years. We need a manager to sort it out. It’s too nice at the moment, and we’re going nowhere. No leaders to be found. Pugh doesn’t want the job, so fair enough , but get someone else then. Get rid of Pugh , Sinclair and the rest of the hangers on, and freshen up the club on the pitch. It’s already been done off it. Time to move on , and time to weed  them out. That’s my tuppence worth. 
You'll need some tuppences to pay that lot off lol

13 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Newport are a horrible team. And they find a way to get results, mainly with late goals as we found to our cost. 

This will sound double Dutch but I personally don't think they are much cop. 

If we are on it we can beat them, I anticipate a pretty horrible stop start game. They are not pretty but effective. 

I'll take a draw though. 

Newport's league position flatters them, for sure, but unlike previous seasons they're not really a horrible team. In fact they caught supporters on the hop at the start of the season with numerous displays of carpet football, but as the pitch has cut up so the old familiar route one habits have begun to creep back in.

Defensively they're fairly sound; a bit shaky at wingback. Their issue is they barely score goals. The midfielders hardly score. Manager Flynn has recently loaned a new forward line (average height around 5 foot 7, so Legge won't be required).

Vale have every chance of winning, provided they work hard, and do the basics right. But can they?

As for Newport's red cards.  Three of them were a case of tacklers coming off their feet, so were dumb rather than dirty.  The 4th was Labadie being a cock, though he claims he made no contact).

Wingback Shephard and midfielder Bennett are suspended. Labadie will play.

Losing Twine was a huge blow for them as he was a key player for them too.

Think they lost someone else too who went back of loan who was fairly good.

They’d had a lot of luck early season with late late winners and I believe including our game a fair few where their opponents lost a man to a red card.

Wingbacks suit the likes of Rodney as we saw at Bolton as he gets the space to run in behind. Big game this.

Grimsby battered them (even before the red card) but couldn’t score (hence their issues) so no reason we can’t get something here as said if we do the basics and are less forgiving going forward than Grimsby.

Win here and safety will feel much closer.

Archived