onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

Top class innings from root. Stokes looked quality as well. Enjoying the ease in which we’re playing spin, our whole middle order, even Bess seem well suited to spin which can only be a good sign. Still think their spinners have bowler very average. A draw or win to start a series in India is excellent 

Advert

That play today was bizarre wasn't it? I can understand the need to make sure India didn't win but wouldn't the obvious solution to that be to score as many runs as fast as possible. That way you get a big score and time to get them out. England's strategy seemed at times to be - don't allow India enough time to snatch a win which is an odd way of looking at it. 

I think there may be enough to get them out in a day but should they be something like 200-8 and England run out of time then they may regret that go-slow period.

1 minute ago, robf said:

That play today was bizarre wasn't it? I can understand the need to make sure India didn't win but wouldn't the obvious solution to that be to score as many runs as fast as possible. That way you get a big score and time to get them out. England's strategy seemed at times to be - don't allow India enough time to snatch a win which is an odd way of looking at it. 

I think there may be enough to get them out in a day but should they be something like 200-8 and England run out of time then they may regret that go-slow period.

Correct it was safety first. We should have moved the batting along and been more attacking with our bowling. Let’s hope it doesn’t cost us tomorrow 

1 hour ago, robf said:

Yeah very strange. Don’t really understand the period when Bess and butler were in. Just taking time out of the game. Looks a good batting deck still though so I’m guessing they were just playing it safe with it being the first game of the series

12 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Yeah very strange. Don’t really understand the period when Bess and butler were in. Just taking time out of the game. Looks a good batting deck still though so I’m guessing they were just playing it safe with it being the first game of the series

Perhaps giving the bowlers a rest?

28 minutes ago, For Us All said:

It wouldn't really have done that as they have 5/6 bowlers so even if the England innings had finished earlier they'd still only had to bowl 2/3 overs each to finish the day.

Anyhow, it seems like they did have plenty of time to finish India off. What a great win. Anderson is unbelievable. A great start to the return of cricket to free to air TV!

2 hours ago, For Us All said:

More likely keeping India out in the field for longer.  I must admit I had my own reservations about whether or not we'd left enough time to bowl out India in their 2nd innings, especially when they raced to 28-0 in those first few overs yesterday. However, to give credit where it's due--Rooty judged it better than any of us (perhaps why he's England's captain?) and a superb bowling performance has clinched that vital first Test win which is absolutely vital in any 4-Test series.  Well done England, partly makes up for that dismal display by the rugby players at Twickenham last weekend!

Archived