onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

1 hour ago, robf said:

I completely agree with that. Four seamers - Broad, Anderson, Archer, Stokes got one wicket between them. There's a case for picking one of Broad/Anderson (Jimmy for me) and one of Archer/Stone for raw pace and that would have freed up room for another spinner. However, even then England may still have had an alarming tail. After these recent years of having a formidable tail, we're almost back to those days of three or four rabbits in there. At least it's not quite as bad as 1999 - Andy Caddick, Alan Mullally, Phil Tufnell, Ed Giddins anyone?

Add Devon malcolm to the rabbits list aswell. Cork, de freitas or gough if they played sometimes hit some lower order runs. 

Archer is meant be useful with the bat but he looks lazy and useless. Even his bowling at times he doesn't bowl at his fastest in some spells. 

Advert

I wouldn’t pick archer. He’s generally not been good enough in test cricket. Average isn’t great think it’s over 30 and that’s after doing brilliantly against australia when he first started. Dosent bowl quick enough, which I do not understand. Why pick him for him to bowl slower the broad. Give wood a go. Gives it everything. Plus archers batting is shocking as well. worst English tail going in this test, just a really odd selection. It seems this rotation policy has finally lost us a series. As Moeen Ali in that side on that pitch would have made a huge difference. 

At test level the recognized batsmen are looking at the bowlers action, how the ball is held in the hand, how it comes out of the hand etc etc and the direction and intensity of revs on it.  When a ball with say off spin on it pitches and goes straight on with the arm and later the same ball pitches and turns at right angles what does the batsman do. If he plays for the spin he gets bowled through the gate, if he plays for no spin the ball turns and take the edge, it's nigh on unplayable.

I agree what others have said in that again this wicket falls short of being a test wicket but it doesn't half make for incredible viewing watching how some of the best batsmen in the world try and play on it.

Ollie Pope's face when he was out in the 2nd innings said it all for me.

17 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Archer is meant be useful with the bat but he looks lazy and useless. 

I rely on stats a lot but there was a telling comment on Archer which I think says something about statistics. 

He averages 20-odd in FC cricket but that's mainly playing in the second division and is massively helped by ten not outs. I think his Test ave of 7 is probably more realistic. 

17 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I wouldn’t pick archer. He’s generally not been good enough in test cricket. Average isn’t great think it’s over 30 and that’s after doing brilliantly against australia when he first started. Dosent bowl quick enough, which I do not understand. Why pick him for him to bowl slower the broad. Give wood a go. Gives it everything. Plus archers batting is shocking as well. worst English tail going in this test, just a really odd selection. It seems this rotation policy has finally lost us a series. 

I wouldn't disagree that Archer needs to earn his place. It's an odd one especially as he was an injury doubt - why not give Stone another game? If England want a number of quicks to counter the Aussies then you need to ensure they have experience and are up to it. So far, Stone has only had two games (one of which was against Ireland) and impressed in difficult conditions in India. It would surely make sense to make sure Stone has plenty of Test experience ahead of the Ashes.

36 minutes ago, robf said:

I wouldn't disagree that Archer needs to earn his place. It's an odd one especially as he was an injury doubt - why not give Stone another game? If England want a number of quicks to counter the Aussies then you need to ensure they have experience and are up to it. So far, Stone has only had two games (one of which was against Ireland) and impressed in difficult conditions in India. It would surely make sense to make sure Stone has plenty of Test experience ahead of the Ashes.

Agree. Honestly I’d be tempted to pick both stone and wood as our quicks in the last test and then leech and Bess with them. Broad offers nothing out there, anderson has bowled really well but he’s played a game now so suppose he will be rotated. I 100% think we will pick woakes though to bolster the batting 

I think woakes has gone back home without playing a test. Im with Rob on playing stone as in the test he played in he did well and didn't really deserve to be dropped. Broad and archer out stone and bess in. I dont know what do about the batting as its a complete mess only root looks good enough to make runs in these conditions. Lawrence is meant be a good player of spin but had alot of low scores after his 70 odd on debut.

5 hours ago, robf said:

From the look of that pitch, quick bowlers are certainly not the answer in the short term for this last Test in the series. However speed will be essential as a 'weapon' in Australia. The biggest problem during the last Test apart from the pitch itself was the unbalanced look of England's team with at least one batsman light!

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Awful day again on a decent batting wicket. No idea how they’re spinners are getting so many wickets with the ball barely spinning. Really poor batting. Outstanding from Jimmy as per usual 

I'd completely agree with that. We're going to miss Jimmy when he retires in twenty years time 😉

Archived