onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

Advert

Terrible batting from us again but what even is this wicket? 2nd day and it’s playing poorly for a bad day 5 pitch. Disgusting and ruining test cricket. Massive new stadium, return of fans, big series and they produce a wicket in where the game hasn’t even lasted 2 days. Root taking 5 for 8 is enough proof for me that we shouldn’t be playing on this wicket. 

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

And there goes the game.

We should have just teed off from the first ball and played it like the last 5 overs of a 20/20 game.

I don’t know why we didn’t do that. It’s obvious sooner or later (sooner) a ball had your name on it. Should have just tried to cash in and just teed off. Leech had the right idea and stokes but the others just seem to be waiting to be given out. 

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Be lucky to end up with a lead of 50 here. 100 might be challenging but anything less than that and it's curtains. All rests on Joe Root, yet again!

Need something different to open up our batting instead of Dumb and Dumber. Give Alex Hales a go, anyone!

Hales is suspended from England anyway only wants to play one day matches like i said that is where the big money is .

We have been terrible batting since the 1st innings of the 1st test. This pitch is poor though as no test should finish within 2 days. It should get reported for preparing a wicket like this but it won't. I personally don't even think this result should stand I think it should be declared null and void due to poor surface.

The best team has won this match no doubt about that but games shouldn't be ending in less than 2 days. Even in England when the ball is swinging all over the place games still last 3 or 4 days. They should be preparing pitches to last longer than this theres probably lots of fans that have brought tickets for the other days play that will now have to be refunded. 

I think we could have picked 11 batsman and no bowlers and still struggle to make runs on this pitch. Even if you try occupy the crease for abit like foakes you end up getting an unplayable delivery. When your chasing a low total you have the freedom to play some big shots and if they come off like they did then you win easily. The team selection for this was wrong playing an extra seamer and having archer at 8 when he is a number 10 or 11. I wouldnt fancy us to make 200 against Indias spinners even if the next pitch was a flat pitch which it won't be.

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

Need something different to open up our batting instead of Dumb and Dumber. Give Alex Hales a go, anyone!

No thanks. He's 32 and not a Test opener either. His stats show that - 21 innings and a lower ave than Crawley, Sibley and Burns.

England really need a Cook type rather than a Hales/Roy type. I think trying that pair was England trying to emulate Warner. But Warner is very much the exception to the rule. 

To be fair to one of the two openers - Crawley scored the most runs of any England batsman and was the only one to reach 50. He's also only 23 and still learning. I think he's got a chance of making it.

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

The team selection for this was wrong playing an extra seamer and having archer at 8 when he is a number 10 or 11. I wouldnt fancy us to make 200 against Indias spinners even if the next pitch was a flat pitch which it won't be.

I completely agree with that. Four seamers - Broad, Anderson, Archer, Stokes got one wicket between them. There's a case for picking one of Broad/Anderson (Jimmy for me) and one of Archer/Stone for raw pace and that would have freed up room for another spinner. However, even then England may still have had an alarming tail. After these recent years of having a formidable tail, we're almost back to those days of three or four rabbits in there. At least it's not quite as bad as 1999 - Andy Caddick, Alan Mullally, Phil Tufnell, Ed Giddins anyone?

30 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If this was county cricket the home team would be fined and have a points deduction.........maybe dock India 200 runs for the next test?

Correct... a 2 day finish in a test match and jo roots part time spin getting 5-8!!!

they would only get away with pitches like the last two in the sub continent where no one dare challenge them. 

Archived