onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

Advert

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

India have a much better team all said and done, especially on their own turf. England have a few elite class players that could play for any side in the world, namely Root, Stokes and Anderson, but there isn't a whole lot to write home about after that. Plenty of good players, sure, but not enough to beat India or Australia in their own backyards. If we lose the series 3-2 here I think we would have done extremely well.

Nail on head.

Feel a bit for Foakes. Comes in does well. We lose.

I'm thinking we could even play all 3 spinners bess  Ali and leach next match like India did here as broads record in India is terrible something like 58 runs per wicket. Stone deserves to keep his place as he bowled quite well. 

Perhaps a line up similar to this 

Bsirstow,sibley, root, stokes, pope, foakes,Ali, bess, stone, leach,Anderson 

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I’d be dropping burns 100%. 

Think if players are fit I would go:

Sibley. Crawley. Bairstow. Root. Stokes. Pope. Foakes. Ali. Archer. Leech. Anderson. 

Harsh on stones as he bowled very well but I do think archer still offers more. 

Ali's coming home.

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Begs the question as to why he was actually picked. Wants to be with his family, fair enough but why decide now after one game. Odd. 

According to The Times this morning, it had always been the plan that Moen would return home after the first two Tests in India.  It's just unfortunate that due to his Covid infection in Sri-Lanka he was unable to be considered for either of those two Tests.  Apparently he will be returning to India next month in time to join up with the England white ball squad for the ODI & T-20 series

5 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

According to The Times this morning, it had always been the plan that Moen would return home after the first two Tests in India.  It's just unfortunate that due to his Covid infection in Sri-Lanka he was unable to be considered for either of those two Tests.  Apparently he will be returning to India next month in time to join up with the England white ball squad for the ODI & T-20 series

Makes no sense to me what so ever then as to why he was selected over Bess for this game. This rotation policy is getting silly now. 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Makes no sense to me what so ever then as to why he was selected over Bess for this game. This rotation policy is getting silly now. 

Like it or not, there is a rotation policy operating and Moen showed much more control with his 7 wickets in this match than Dom Bess did in the last Test. As I said, it was a pity that a Covid infection restricted Moen's contribution to the 2 Tests in Sri-Lanka. He will be back in the bubble for the white ball matches next month and I would expect him to fully contribute in both the 50 and 20 over formats to come.

27 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Like it or not, there is a rotation policy operating and Moen showed much more control with his 7 wickets in this match than Dom Bess did in the last Test. As I said, it was a pity that a Covid infection restricted Moen's contribution to the 2 Tests in Sri-Lanka. He will be back in the bubble for the white ball matches next month and I would expect him to fully contribute in both the 50 and 20 over formats to come.

He did I agree. Bowled much better 2nd innings, I just don’t see the benefit in selecting him for one match. We now have to go back to Bess who’s probably lower on confidence as a result of being dropped. If your only here for the first 2 games I would have expected mo to play both. Shame as I think he’s our strongest spinner 

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

He did I agree. Bowled much better 2nd innings, I just don’t see the benefit in selecting him for one match. We now have to go back to Bess who’s probably lower on confidence as a result of being dropped. If your only here for the first 2 games I would have expected mo to play both. Shame as I think he’s our strongest spinner 

Bess is just a young lad at the start of his Test match career.  I like the look of him, he's got a lot to offer and will learn quickly the more matches he plays, however the next Test is a day/nighter being played with a pink ball so it will once again be a different set of thought processes as far as selection goes for this one. Depending on fitness issues, could be that England will add an extra seamer and only play with Leach as the front-line spinner backed up by Root and possibly Lawrence should he play.  I'm n ot a great fan of day/night Tests, but it's going to be interesting whatever line-up is eventually chosen!

Archived