onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

Advert

We need to pick our best 11 next game. Sick of this resting rubbish. Root should bowl more, don’t think he’s far off our spinners! They’ve picked up wickets but are a mile off the Indian spinners. 

Embarrassing that Kohli felt the need to keep rubbing in the pitch. And then has a go at the umpire, same for the decision at the end of the day and when he was bowled. Arrogant <ovf censored>. 

2 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I dont mind losing to a very good team in their own back yard but the pitch is scandalous... and how they have got away with moving the groundsman from the first test "aside" and the Indian management team taking control of pitch preparation for this test is beyond me.

Wheres the next test at ? I bet the groundsman is already under pressure to produce another one of these wickets. 

We do the same in this country we produce seaming pitches to suit Anderson and co the Aussies produce hard fast pitches for their quicks it’s home advantage 

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

We do the same in this country we produce seaming pitches to suit Anderson and co the Aussies produce hard fast pitches for their quicks it’s home advantage 

Agree however not to the same extent as this, this looked a day 5 pitch on day 1 They may be pace / seam friendly but this is ridiculous. If you look at the pitches India played on in Australia they were actually quite even. These pitches ruin the game. It might has well have been decided on that coin toss. 

I actually think sibley is a decent opener and has a reasonable start to his test career. He is learning as he plays and has it in him to occupy the crease for along time. 

Burns is the opener that seems to struggle to me and with him being 30 he may get replaced by Crawley when he is back fit. Lawrence may get dropped from the side aswell as apart from his 73 on debut he has struggled. 

Root isn't going to continue scoring 200 runs a match so we do need to field a side thats capable of scoring runs that's why I find it strange that we arnt playing butler and bairstow as batsman and let foakes keep wicket.

44 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I actually think sibley is a decent opener and has a reasonable start to his test career. He is learning as he plays and has it in him to occupy the crease for along time. 

Burns is the opener that seems to struggle to me and with him being 30 he may get replaced by Crawley when he is back fit. Lawrence may get dropped from the side aswell as apart from his 73 on debut he has struggled. 

Root isn't going to continue scoring 200 runs a match so we do need to field a side thats capable of scoring runs that's why I find it strange that we arnt playing butler and bairstow as batsman and let foakes keep wicket.

Agree. I think Lawrence will do well for england, he’s been thrown in at the deep end having to bat at 3 in India straight away - could do with some runs but looked good today. Burns is the issue, he should be dropped and then either Crawley (if fit) and bairstow come in. 

On a side note. Ben foakes is class and should play every game 

6 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Your name must be Don Bradman then. Average close to 40, still very young. It’s not easy playing in India when your not used to playing spin on wickets like this. 

Almost every scoring shot he makes is across to the leg side until he corrects his stance and first movement to the ball bowlers will have a field day against him close your eyes if he goes Australia the No 3 batsman better be ready quick.

15 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Almost every scoring shot he makes is across to the leg side until he corrects his stance and first movement to the ball bowlers will have a field day against him close your eyes if he goes Australia the No 3 batsman better be ready quick.

Don’t disagree however it goes work. Steve smith and labushane for australia hit most of their runs on the on side as well. He’s only young, has good numbers and is much better than when he first started for us. Imo he’s a perfect opener I just think we need someone other than burns with him. Think he will be ok against australia personally it’s spin that’s the issue 

This Chennai pitch isn't a test match pitch as it favors ball over bat too much. But the longer a batsmen is at the crease the "easier" it becomes to bat on but it does produce too many unplayable balls and sooner or later a batsman is going to get one. If he's unlucky he will lose his wicket, lucky and he will be dropped or not get a touch etc. eg Ashwin in India's 2nd innings.

I couldn't understand why when Ashwin came to the wicket Stone wasn't bought onto pepper him, he looked really uncomfortable in the 1st innings on that pitch against pace.

It will take a monumental effort and a huge slice of luck to get anything from this game.

India look a better team  Irrespective of who England pick, India's spinners are better and more consistent and  England's 3 top order batsmen are inexperienced and a wicket like this one exposes any technical flaws.

India have a much better team all said and done, especially on their own turf. England have a few elite class players that could play for any side in the world, namely Root, Stokes and Anderson, but there isn't a whole lot to write home about after that. Plenty of good players, sure, but not enough to beat India or Australia in their own backyards. If we lose the series 3-2 here I think we would have done extremely well.

29 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Don’t disagree however it goes work. Steve smith and labushane for australia hit most of their runs on the on side as well. He’s only young, has good numbers and is much better than when he first started for us. Imo he’s a perfect opener I just think we need someone other than burns with him. Think he will be ok against australia personally it’s spin that’s the issue 

We beg to differ time will tell i suppose but agree we need 2 good openers who will consistently get our innings off to a good start ; ie Edrich and Boycott type not flamboyant but reliable to give us a good start we have an array of middle order batsmen who can damage any side in the world.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Agree. I think Lawrence will do well for england, he’s been thrown in at the deep end having to bat at 3 in India straight away - could do with some runs but looked good today. Burns is the issue, he should be dropped and then either Crawley (if fit) and bairstow come in. 

On a side note. Ben foakes is class and should play every game 

Agree with Burns and felt that way since Sri Lanka. He just hasn't made any sort of score for a while. Sibley can at least point to his 80-odd in India and 50 in Sri Lanka. Burns seems to be a great county pro but sadly not good enough at this level.

I like the look of Lawrence, I hope they stick with him.

As for Foakes. For some time, I felt he was the best WK in the country and I'm glad he's getting a chance.

59 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Have a look at Graham Gooch's figures at the same stage of his career.

Gooch made a pair in his first test match then must have thought what he is doing wrong and later changed his stance at the wicket and started to lift his bat  that completely changed him as a run getter all around the wicket Sibley ought to take a leaf out of his book.

Archived