onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

2 hours ago, robf said:

It wouldn't really have done that as they have 5/6 bowlers so even if the England innings had finished earlier they'd still only had to bowl 2/3 overs each to finish the day.

Anyhow, it seems like they did have plenty of time to finish India off. What a great win. Anderson is unbelievable. A great start to the return of cricket to free to air TV!

Excellent,that catch from Stokes to dismiss Bumrah wasn't too bad either.

Advert

Brilliant win. Anderson bowled fantastic. That one over was special - not sure about rahane, always seems to struggle! 

It will depend how the bowlers are for the next game maybe England will rest a couple. I still feel ali could be a better option especially as we now have a lead in the series. 

It's going to be an interesting team selection for the second Test...

Buttler is already going home and replaced by Foakes. I personally think that's a good move as Foakes is a better glovesman.

But then it's what you do with the rest of the team...

• Burns struggled despite the win and is probably lucky that Crawley is injured. I have watched a bit of standby player James Bracey and I wonder whether he may be a better long-term opener than Burns? In the meantime, there's not too much you can do to the batting line-up unless you bring Ali in higher up the order.
  • Will they rest the pace man Archer for Oli Stone? That's a bit of a gamble considering Stone's only played one Test and that was at home to Ireland. It's a huge step up to play India away.
  • Will they now rest Anderson and bring in Broad? Blimey, that would be a bold move.
  • I guess it would be very, very harsh to drop Bess for Ali after that performance but at least the presence of Ali should keep both the spinners on their toes. 

I would presume the normal decision would be to pick the same team considering what a good team win it was but with the rapid turnaround, the next Test is in 4 days, you've got to take player burn-out into account.

I think archer will play. Wood is joining the squad after the first two tests I think so I could see him being rested for one of those. Burns looks an issue up top but I expect him to play this full series and Crawley to replace Lawrence unless Lawrence does something special next game 

Watched live 'til lunch and it was amazing test cricket. Leach bowled well, Bess looked nervous 'til he got his wicket but Anderson bowled a superb over to get Gill and Rahane with reverse swing, it was just classic control from the Burnley Lara. Archer gave Ashwin a torrid time and at one point I thought he was going to go off with an injured hand.

Great to wake up and see England had won and India had not forced a draw by a dogged tail ender or two .

4 changes confirmed for the 2nd test. Foakes in for Buttler

Ali in for Bess

Broad in for Anderson 

then either woakes or stone in for archer. 

I do find it strange that we don’t seem to play broad and anderson together anymore. I hope it’s stone that comes in for archer, woakes struggles away from home and will struggle on them pitches, at least stone will give us a bit of pace 

It's odd to make so many changes after such an epic win but they seem to know what they are doing.

I'm a bit surprised to see Bess dropped for a player that has barely any match time. I know Ali on his game can torment India but that to me is a big gamble considering how important spin is in India.

Just seen some comments from Joe Root on Woakes - "We can have the same balance [in the] side in terms of straight like-for-like swaps with Stone and Broad coming in for Archer and Anderson, or Woakes could come into things as well which adds to the batting and obviously gives us a huge amount of control with the ball..."

"Adds to the batting"... Blimey Joe, you've already got Mooen Ali at eight how much deeper do England have to bat? 

At this rate the only player without a ton in the "tail" will be Jack Leach at 11 with a highest of 92. 

14 minutes ago, robf said:

Just seen some comments from Joe Root on Woakes - "We can have the same balance [in the] side in terms of straight like-for-like swaps with Stone and Broad coming in for Archer and Anderson, or Woakes could come into things as well which adds to the batting and obviously gives us a huge amount of control with the ball..."

"Adds to the batting"... Blimey Joe, you've already got Mooen Ali at eight how much deeper do England have to bat? 

At this rate the only player without a ton in the "tail" will be Jack Leach at 11 with a highest of 92. 

Agree. Moeen over Bess is an improvement and broad over anderson is in terms of batting so we shouldn’t need to strengthen further surely? Archer barely hits anything so bring stone in so we have a bit of pace when needed. It does seem we are playing it very safe by going with this longer batting line up. Might they be thinking with foakes coming in we may need another decent player? I think foakes is class and personally gets in the side every game but they may have that doubt given the amount of test cricket he’s played. I do have to say though I went with moeen at the start of the series and I do think he’s a better spinner than Bess. Bess is young but he bowls so many hit me deliveries.  Hopefully we can win the toss and use this long batting order! 

51 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

I presume channel 4 will continue to have the rights for this? 

Have to say it's refreshing having sport to watch that isn't on Sky or BT. 

Yep they've got the WHOLE series - so all Test matches plus the ODIs and T20s. As per the press release thats:

...live broadcast of the entire tour – four Tests, five Twenty20s and three one‑day internationals

Also, one of the Tests is a day-nighter so it starts at 9am UK time.

Happy days!

53 minutes ago, robf said:

Yep they've got the WHOLE series - so all Test matches plus the ODIs and T20s. As per the press release thats:

...live broadcast of the entire tour – four Tests, five Twenty20s and three one‑day internationals

Also, one of the Tests is a day-nighter so it starts at 9am UK time.

Happy days!

Great news.

Ali has been well out of form and has done nothing to deserve a place in this team. Bess is a developing player so I would have continued playing him and give him more experience than give Ali games when he is over 30 bang out of form and not played much cricket lately. 

At least we have a ready made excuse if we lose that we rested a few players and had a few out injured so we fielded a pretty much reserve team 

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

Ali has been well out of form and has done nothing to deserve a place in this team. Bess is a developing player so I would have continued playing him and give him more experience than give Ali games when he is over 30 bang out of form and not played much cricket lately. 

At least we have a ready made excuse if we lose that we rested a few players and had a few out injured so we fielded a pretty much reserve team 

Suppose the good thing with ali is his batting and he is generally very good against India. Imo Ali is a class cricketer, very underrated. But you are right in the red ball game he is very out of form, I do personally think he offers more than Bess (think there’s quite a few young county spinners better than Bess as well)

Archived