onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - India v England series

robf

As many of you know I also love watching cricket and I'm looking forward to this series. 

The added bonus is that it's finally on free to air terrestrial TV (Channel 4 from 4am tomorrow if you missed it) so I'm sure there's going to be far more interest what with lockdown and the fact you don't have to shell out to Sky to watch it.

For me, it's a tough series for England especially as a scratch India side triumphed in Australia. I worry about both the openers and the spinners's threat (with the honourable exception of Leach). There's now a problem at three with Crawley injured too. 

Here's my eleven for what it's worth. I wouldn't rest one of the veterans, I'd play 'em both. Both took cheap wickets in spin-friendly Sri Lanka. Root is the third spinner and stays at his best position - four. The openers sadly pick themselves. Stokes fills in as three in absence of Crawley though it could equally be Pope there and Stokes at five.

Burns, Sibley, Stokes, Root, Pope, Buttler, Ali, Archer, Leach, Broad, Anderson

Advert

37 minutes ago, robf said:

As many of you know I also love watching cricket and I'm looking forward to this series. 

The added bonus is that it's finally on free to air terrestrial TV (Channel 4 from 4am tomorrow if you missed it) so I'm sure there's going to be far more interest what with lockdown and the fact you don't have to shell out to Sky to watch it.

For me, it's a tough series for England especially as a scratch India side triumphed in Australia. I worry about both the openers and the spinners's threat (with the honourable exception of Leach). There's now a problem at three with Crawley injured too. 

Here's my eleven for what it's worth. I wouldn't rest one of the veterans, I'd play 'em both. Both took cheap wickets in spin-friendly Sri Lanka. Root is the third spinner and stays at his best position - four. The openers sadly pick themselves. Stokes fills in as three in absence of Crawley though it could equally be Pope there and Stokes at five.

Burns, Sibley, Stokes, Root, Pope, Buttler, Ali, Archer, Leach, Broad, Anderson

Couldn't agree more Rob, this series is going to be ultra tough for England. I didn't realise that Crawley was injured, but your line-up looks a bit light in the top order batting. Personally I think it's a mistake that they didn't take Jonny Bairstow with his proven ability against spin. However we are where we are, so I doubt that both Anderson & Broad will play (unless Archer doesn't) and we could slot in an extra batter. Lawrence showed in Sri Lanka that he has potential, but it's a bit early in his Test career to say whether he's yet up to any position higher than 5 or 6.  Whatever the final line-up it's going to be an intriguing and (I hope) exciting series-enjoy!

Shame Crawley is out for the first two games although I think he may have struggled given what happened in Sri Lanka. 
I think it will be: 

Burns. Sibley. Lawrence. Root. Stokes. Pope. Buttler. Ali. Archer. Leach. Anderson / broad (think they will rotate these two out there) 

Early for Lawrence but he is a number 3 by trade. I’ve got for an extra batsman as I think we could need it. Root can bowl some decent spin if needed, could even swap ali for Bess although I’m not convinced he’s good enough yet 

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Shame Crawley is out for the first two games although I think he may have struggled given what happened in Sri Lanka. 
I think it will be: 

Burns. Sibley. Lawrence. Root. Stokes. Pope. Buttler. Ali. Archer. Leach. Anderson / broad (think they will rotate these two out there) 

Early for Lawrence but he is a number 3 by trade. I’ve got for an extra batsman as I think we could need it. Root can bowl some decent spin if needed, could even swap ali for Bess although I’m not convinced he’s good enough yet 

@valiant_593 Fair points there. Lawrence is a decent call at three and there's a decent mix of bowlers. One express pace. One veteran. Stokes as the third seamer then two spinners (one left/one right) and Root as a third. 

I will make sure I'm up at 4am everyday to watch this. Im expecting England to lose the series just hope they don't get thrashed. Pope has been called into the squad but I wouldnt play him just yet. Crawley missing 2 tests isn't a massive problem with burns back in the squad just hope buns makes more runs than Crawley did in Sri Lanka as he struggled there.

Credit to the India bowlers too-Bumrah stuck at it until the end and sad as it was to see Sibley not get to a well-deserved ton, probably deserved that wicket. Great platform on which to start day two, let's hope that we don't now throw away such a good start to the series.  Also credit to Kohli who was the first to congratulate Joe Root's hundred and was even seen to be helping Joe out when he got a touch of cramp near the day's end--although as the commentator joked--hope he's not twisting Joe's ankle!  Seriously, it was good to see the match being played in such a good sporting way--makes a difference from the Aussie antics against India!!

Well I was up at 4am - though I did go out for an hour or so in the snow after the first session, else the dogs would have ripped me apart

And yes I second the viewpoint that the artificial crowd noise is just, well, pants

At least when the BBC put football games on [with even more irritating crowd noises] you can go onto the red button option and listen 'au naturale'

Even worse though is those hotels who insist in piping in brain-rot music even at 5am while having your breakfast, oh and TV screens on everywhere with no sound

BBC Alba play Scottish Championship matches live on Friday nights [Ayr vs Hearts] tonight and aside from the delight of proper 'old fashioned' stadia [falling down toilets with terrracing] there's no added crowd noise and you get to hear the delightful uncensored 'advice' from the dug-outs

Who is that makes all the noise at current Vale matches? It sounds like female voices, so I'm guessing its Carol and some mates of hers?

Points-with-Bone

Excellent day for us. A shame to lose sibley so late on though. 

I think we need to get as close to 500 as possible and we certainly have the batters to get there. Sibley was brilliant love having him in the side, we could have easily crumbled when Lawrence went out cheaply. Joe root was / is an unbelievable innings. Looked a little off it first 30 or so balls but then made it look ridiculously easy. Not impressed by the shot from burns. Your an opener, no need to play that shot after playing so well and making ashwin change his tactics! 

Excellent day in what will be a very close game and series. Root is just class

15 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Archer might be in with a shout on this wicket.

That's my thoughts too. I think the commentators are right that England just need to bat - into day three if needs be and by then the pitch may be doing something due to the wear and tear. I'm not sure England's spinners will do any better than India's but Anderson is clearly a genius and Archer the x-factor so you can hope. But it may still be a draw.

Archived