1 hour ago, Moz said:

Give it a rest, pal. We've heard the disgraceful standard of other radio stations, like Orient, Cheltenham and Tranmere. Yes Phil is quirky, but he does a decent job. And people in the media aren't all fair game. Who takes a pop at you on social media for how you do your job? Bowers isn't exactly getting the full Gary Neville package at Radio Stoke. 

His wrestling references are so brief, they make no difference to the overall experience. They might stick in your craw, but give the guy a break.

Orient ? 

Totally unbiased decent away commentary

• Like 2

Advert:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A clip of Bowers just got tweeted by the Accidental Partridge twitter account.    

One person who I really can't stand is that Stokie woman they have in the studio. Mrs Mogadon. Just such a boring flat delivery to everything she says.

Blimey, does no-one on here ever make mistakes? We all have the advantage of the stream and replays. Those guys don't (dunno why but them's the rules) and were stuck in a corner of the LS miles away f

Just now, Moz said:

Wow

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Orient ? 

Totally unbiased decent away commentary

Orient was horrendous. That said, I didn't go mental about it at the time, because I realised that those commentators don't earn much and do their best.

• Like 1

Just now, Moz said:

Orient was horrendous. That said, I didn't go mental about it at the time, because I realised that those commentators don't earn much and do their best.

All about opinions Phil 

It was interesting tonight that neither of them knew the rule about the ball hitting the ref. I'm usually not that critical of them but not knowing that tonight after god knows how many occurances of it was pretty bad.

• Like 2

Advert:

Just now, darren1810 said:

All about opinions Phil 

No. I'm tired of the idea that Bowers should take the criticism he does "because he's in the media." He does ok and probably earns less than most people on here. Give him a break.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

My main issue with Phil is that sometimes the action is secondary for him.  Do you remember Spot the Ball - well I sometimes feel folk just listening on the radio should have a competition like that - where is the ball?!  It's obvious when watching the game on ifollow with the RS commentary that the commentators seem to ignore a fair bit of the action to indulge in personal chats.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

It was interesting tonight that neither of them knew the rule about the ball hitting the ref. I'm usually not that critical of them but not knowing that tonight after god knows how many occurances of it was pretty bad.

To be honest Bowers qualified that by saying the ref had let one go earlier in the game, which he had, so the comment was as much to do with the ref being inconsistent as much as anything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

To be honest Bowers qualified that by saying the ref had let one go earlier in the game, which he had, so the comment was as much to do with the ref being inconsistent as much as anything else.

The earlier incident,  it didn't hit the ref though,  he slightly obstructed a Newport player.  Does that make a difference?

Thought they were good tonight. Yates was good. Easy to moan but they are doing their job. The ball is out of play a lot. Got to say something during dead time. 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

The problem for me on iplayer is that it's radio commentary and a constant jabber to fill in all dead air spaces. Then there's the black / white pre-determined slant with little regard for whar's actually happening on the pitch. (Turned it off for large stretches of the game.)

And how come Newport had an away commentary last night when we haven't had one for ages?

IMHO Before iFollow provided video Lee Blakeman painted a good picture of the game which was ratified to a large extent from watching the extended highlights.

Now iFollow provides video someone painting a picture of the game is not so important  but Bowers does a good job, he also provides a bit of humor and banter which I enjoy and has been most welcome this last 3 months.

• Like 1

There was nowt wrong with the coverage last night, winning helps but Yates is streets ahead of Sproson who uses the gig as an advert for his stable of players  and Birchall who would have waxed lyrical about how Newport were the Welsh European and world club champions.

• Like 1

Advert:

19 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

The earlier incident,  it didn't hit the ref though,  he slightly obstructed a Newport player.  Does that make a difference?

No idea didn’t see the first incident myself.  The point is Bowers did, or rather he saw it that way, you obviously didn’t.  Not wishing to make any excuses, but they’re in the stand remember, watching from a different angle.  I’m guessing no video replays either.  Hey ho, it’s just a random bit of commentary anyway.

I think you also have to factor in that they are commentating for a radio and viewing audience. So if you are commentating for ifollow viewers you could say less because people can see what is going on. For the radio you can't just shut up and leave the airwaves crackling.

I generally have no problem with it, and find it hard to see what people get so wound up about. No doubt  Bowers and Yates care. If that makes them homers so what? It's Radio Stoke, not Cymru.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

And how come Newport had an away commentary last night when we haven't had one for ages?

Mr Blakeman said it’s a decision the club makes