4 hours ago, robf said:

I've just been trying to find out who does Salford commentary and I think it may well not be the BBC. I may be wrong on that but if not, that may cause an interesting issue for Tuesday. I can't imagine Radio Stoke will take away commentary from a non-BBC source.

However, it got me thinking. When England played cricket in New Zealand recently, the TMS team couldn't travel and so they did commentary by watching a TV stream. It's the sort of thing TalkSport have also done in the past.

Why, if radio crew can't travel due to restrictions, can't Radio Stoke simply commentate while watching a live stream?

They wouldn't have to travel, Vale fans would get familiar rather than opposition commentators and that issue of "we don't see the replays" which is often mentioned in the current commentaries would also be a thing of the past.

Is there some reason why not? I'm sure that as media partners, Radio Stoke probably get free streams anyhow but even if not, shelling out a tenner a game isn't much is it?

Advert:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A clip of Bowers just got tweeted by the Accidental Partridge twitter account.    

One person who I really can't stand is that Stokie woman they have in the studio. Mrs Mogadon. Just such a boring flat delivery to everything she says.

Blimey, does no-one on here ever make mistakes? We all have the advantage of the stream and replays. Those guys don't (dunno why but them's the rules) and were stuck in a corner of the LS miles away f

Just now, Vale at home said:

I do agree . Come on the vale .Good Luck for tomorrow night. Game . . 3 points would be Brilliant. But I would take 0-0 now . 

1 hour ago, Eddie Ford said:

Just remember this, Birchall is not on any of the lists in Vales best 11 thread

I don't understand the logic. David Beckham is probably one of the country's finest in recent years but I wouldn't listen to him if he was match summariser. If you'd got to be a great footballer to have a valid opinion on the game then I may as well close the forum to all of you now 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Advert:

14 hours ago, Eddie Ford said:

Beckham is a great player, Birchall is or was not a good player 

But my point was that being a great player is not relevant for a match summariser. 

It's a similar logic that a great player doesn't necessarily make a good manager.

Alex Ferguson wasn't as good a player as Beckham. Who's the better manager?

Birchall isn't as good as a player as Beckham? Who's a better match summariser? 

Being able to describe something live on air and engage the listener is a totally different skillset from your ability to kick a football.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, connor hackett said:

Don't think anyone would care about the commentary if we were winning games. I quite like listening to Phil tbh, everybody's different i suppose. I can't listen to Angela Smith though, she does just grate on the ear drums.

Probably because she is talking about Sjoke , Connor.  Love listening to callers like Bryn, crying because they are so crap  and Jimmy who loves a good rant against his club. Always worth a listen.

• Like 2

Advert:

Birchall played nearly 160 games for us, the majority at a higher level than we now find ourselves. He played in a World Cup finals and also in the MLS alongside people like Beckham. He didn't pull up any tress for us but if you think that's the career of someone who wasn't a good player, then you might be in trouble. He wouldn't be in my top XI -  neither would Pope, Ainsworth, Gardner, Van Der Laan...... -  and the fact that no-one has included him has zip to do with his abilities or otherwise as a commentator.

Roy Keane's his own parody account isn't he?

Just give him a mic and expect the inevitable rant...

• Like 2

Advert:

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You'll be getting called out on his Twitter account like I have been. 

To be fair to Phil, I don’t think he has called you out because you criticised him. More because he has made effort after effort to speak to you and get your honest feedback and talk about what you don’t like.

An offer you have continually swerved.

• Confused 1