onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Radio Stoke Commentary

PVFC_4_EVA

They are alright, they do seem to have some player favourites and some who can do no right, but I guess that is the same with fans. Just human nature. Sproson is in a tricky situation because of a potential conflict of interests but he is otherwise pretty good on the overall state of the game.

Yates certainly says it as he sees it. I guess also they have a tricky job now commentating for both a viewing and listening audience. So if you are watching it sometimes seems like they talk to much. But if you also have an audience just listening I guess you have to keep talking. Hence some of the whittering I suppose. I do agree with the above comment about why don't they have ifollow so they can watch the replays and correct themselves if they have got it wrong? Usually they are corrected by people who are watching on ifollow.

Did I imagine it or was Griff the side-kick once? And he was good. Surprisingly quietly spoken. I suppose he can't now with being on the coaching staff.

Advert

19 hours ago, Pops said:

Sorry, but I have left Radio Stoke for good. My time was up and I was fed up being used. 

Sorry to hear that Ray. On a personal note, you were a class striker and the best nous to identify a player that we've ever had at the Vale.

Keep well ☺️

I like 'em all, they all have their good points and not so good points. 

Remember listening to a Bristol Rovers feed a few years ago when there was a problem with the Radio Stoke feed, it was hilarious as it seemed like they'd dragged two farmers out of a field.

Recently we've had to listen to the opposition commentary because of Covid, it's interesting getting their take on Vale players and the club. 

Reading through this topic illustrates the truth of that old adage, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.  In other words we're all a bunch of awkward tossers.

Personally I don't have an issue with any of the commentators, or pundits, if they get tiring just switch 'em off.

My only minor gripe is that I'd like to see more pundits used rather than the same old regulars, but logistics, and COVID currently, may make this difficult.  I always think Van der Laan talks sense and comes across well whenever he's on..

On 01/02/2021 at 18:30, ELDERBEZZA said:

Before we criticise take a listen to some of the dross around the country 🤔Some Ive listened to make John Abberley sound like Motty😅😅

When we played FGR Radio Gloucester went rabbiting on for about 20+ minutes without actually saying what the score was . Pretty <ovf censored> for a live game.

Talking of which Phil Bowers comes out with some right dross. He was getting wound up about the ref not booking the lad who felled Dave and the ref was standing there with a yellow card in his hand. 

I tend to follow the home team on ifollow so as to find out the current news for Vale and to see what the opposition think of us on our travels. It's a bit mixed as some of the commentary is quite knowledgeable and at the other end of the spectrum it seems like they have placed the microphone in front of some old chap who has unscrewed his flask and is talking to his mate. Heaven knows what they thought of the Radio Stoke guy who was really riled that he didn't spot Crookes knocking it over the line if they do likewise.

I am ok with commentary by all those who appear on ifollow. An issue is they have a poor view and sometimes are fundamentally wrong in their call about events. They don't have the advantage of replays either. But someone soon contacts them and points out their mistake. 

I think in light of Covid the Beeb may well think do we need 92 lots of commentators.

Is there an actual necessity for 2 or 3 people to travel from say Plymouth to Fleetwood when commentators are already in the Fleetwood area , and i mean in normal times not now there are restrictions in place.

9 hours ago, Warren said:

An issue is they have a poor view 

I think that's a good point. Vale must have one of the worst commentary positions in the League. It's relatively low down, can be obscured by fans (when they are in the ground) and in a corner. 

I know there's the cost of moving the ISDN lines and so on to take onboard  but surely the logical position for the media would be up in the Gods next to where the TV camera is. Anyone who's done match sponsorship will know what a great view the Presidents seating gives for a game, it's high up and on the half-way line. 

If money was no object then putting them above the Presidents seating would be an obvious move. Who on earth OK'ed the original decision to put the media where they are now though?

14 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Reading through this topic illustrates the truth of that old adage, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.  In other words we're all a bunch of awkward tossers.

Personally I don't have an issue with any of the commentators, or pundits, if they get tiring just switch 'em off.

My only minor gripe is that I'd like to see more pundits used rather than the same old regulars, but logistics, and COVID currently, may make this difficult.  I always think Van der Laan talks sense and comes across well whenever he's on..

i think abraham lincoln said that, its been my dream if i could be in yours. bob dylan said that.😇

Guest Vale at home
On 02/02/2021 at 09:56, robf said:

Blimey, does no-one on here ever make mistakes? We all have the advantage of the stream and replays. Those guys don't (dunno why but them's the rules) and were stuck in a corner of the LS miles away from a goalmouth scramble at the Hamil End and with a load of players obscuring the view between them and the Vale player who poked the ball in. They have to give an instant judgement call on who they think scored. They then acknowledged their mistake and corrected it. 

I do agree . 

Archived