onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I thought Spearing was just nasty and should have been sent off for that tackle on Smith. (?)

In the old days that was a perfectly acceptable challenge and he does get the ball, but now apparently he would be deemed to be out of control and should have least had a card.

Tranmere official are celebrating the tackle on twitter with the heading BOOM.

I also wish we had an enforcer someone who breaks play up and goes round growling at the opposition, I do feel we are just too nice.

In the old days that was a perfectly acceptable challenge and he does get the ball, but now apparently he would be deemed to be out of control and should have least had a card.
I also wish we had an enforcer someone who breaks play up and goes round growling at the opposition, I do feel we are just too nice.

It’s probably a red card these days, he misses that by a fraction and Hurst is left with a broken leg.

Goes back to what I said yesterday about us not being streetwise though, Hurst should roll about a bit and the others run up to the player and referee... try to influence the situation but nothing. Can bet had Joyce done that the Tranmere player rolls about and they crowd the referee!

The rules are soft but by the letter of the rule...

Tranmere Twitter is weird, creaming over two incidents (the Clarke one the other) both of which is reality were fouls.

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

Spearing should have been booked 'cause he followed through with all his weight on Hurst and caught him, perhaps if Hurst had rolled over as if he was dying Spearing may have seen red.

What was interesting for me was that pre-game  iFollow played the Tranmere commentary from the game at Vale Park. When Joyce was shown the red card the voices of both Tranmere commentators seemed incredulous and in shock at Joyce been sent off. IMHO Joyce's card should have been yellow not red, it wasn't as bad a challenge as Spearings'.

Vale were beaten by a better, in form team yesterday.

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

It’s probably a red card these days, he misses that by a fraction and Hurst is left with a broken leg.

Goes back to what I said yesterday about us not being streetwise though, Hurst should roll about a bit and the others run up to the player and referee... try to influence the situation but nothing. Can bet had Joyce done that the Tranmere player rolls about and they crowd the referee!

The rules are soft but by the letter of the rule...

Tranmere Twitter is weird, creaming over two incidents (the Clarke one the other) both of which is reality were fouls.

In old money he got the ball and it was an old fashioned hard tackle.

In the modern game it was reckless, used excessive force, whether or not he got the ball is less relevant, and it was probably more out of luck than judgement that Hurst didn't get hurt.

Given the margins involved between it being a good tackle and a terrible one, it was a daft challenge to make and a daft area of the pitch in which to make it.

Yes the defenders have been making individual mistakes, but the team defends as a unit with everyone having to play some part in how we set up, and get back into shape when we don’t have the ball and how we close down and put in the work to stop the opposition. It’s not purely just the fault of Brown and the 4 defenders and swapping Brisley and Gibbo for Crookes and Mills isn’t the magic wand. There’s something wrong with how we set up and what we are doing as a team when we don’t have the ball that just isn’t working for us. 

When we had our decent run at the end of last season felt the players performed as a team with team spirit. Good little partnerships like  Gibbo and Worrall who knew what each other was doing. Individually not world beaters but together punching above our weight.

Thats gone, no team spirit , no partnerships , no quality.  Going nowhere.

Just now, The man in the pub said:

When we had our decent run at the end of last season felt the players performed as a team with team spirit. Good little partnerships like  Gibbo and Worrall who knew what each other was doing. Individually not world beaters but together punching above our weight.

Spot on. I’ve been saying all season that our relationships between full backs and wingers has been non existent, both going forwards and backwards. Go back to that first half last week v Southend and with Monty and Gibbo in the side we saw little triangles of play between Worrall / Gibbo / Taylor and Monty / Rodney/ Conlon on the opposite side. That was something that we have hardly seen all season and it was a hallmark of our good play last season. 

The partnership of Burgess and Taylor worked well season and do I’d suggest we put that back together. I don’t have I follow so I rely on comments of those that do on OVF. All through the game I heard horrific comments about the defence, so why wasn’t Olagunju brought in.?

Problem is you take Conlon out who’s been outstanding overall in recent weeks.

Could play him in Joyce position but that’s old Conlon, the idea behind his huge improvement was the encouragement Askey put on him to get forward.

7 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

I was very critical of Crookes yesterday, and whilst I feel he was poor for their first 2 goals, I think this was perhaps unfair. He is a centre half who has played 10-15 professional games in his preferred position.

When you look at Crewe and see the way they do things with developing their younger players we don't have their patience. Its often a 4 or 5 year cycle.

Crewe tend to have a good year then lose most of their team due to a few sales and contracts expiring.

The following season they bring in a load of young players and are awful and being relegated from league 1, often then getting rid of the manager.

They have another year or 2 where they are poor and just about survive in league 2, usually being saved by a better second half to the season. They stick with the manager.

They then improve as the youth players they have persisted with develop learn from the sort of mistakes Crookes made yesterday and gain confidence.

The following year they do well often going back up to league 1. After a reasonable season some of their players get sold others leave as their contracts expire and the whole process starts again.

Obviously its not that simple, a few of the youngsters don't cut it and get replaced each season and they make some signings. What they do tend to do is stick with the youngsters for a few years whilst they make mistakes and look at the long term rather than just writing young players of because they do badly and make silly mistakes. They give them a chance to learn from them.

If we are going to look at developing young players we do have to give them a chance to develop and learn from their mistakes. I don't know if Crookes will make it but we won't find out if we bomb him out of the team. Luke Prosser has forged a decent lower league career from a similar position to that which Crookes is currently in.

They also sell a lot of youngsters that aren't old enough for first team football. For example George Nunn who Chelsea paid £300k for a few years ago. When was the last time we did that? 

They also sell a lot of youngsters that aren't old enough for first team football. For example George Nunn who Chelsea paid £300k for a few years ago. When was the last time we did that? 

We sold four of them a couple of years back to Man City, Wolves and Stoke I seem to recall. Good fees apparently.

Guest Vale at home
36 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Please vale . Get it together. Soon . Be for its to Late .. being a vale fan at the moment.it’s very very Disappointing. And upsetting. Vale it’s,,  vale will be Better . always next Game , next week . Or next season . For us vale fans . 

I can't believe how easy opposition players beat a Vale defender in a 1:1 situation particularly around and in the box, I can't believe how easy opposition players can deliver crosses into Vale's box, Vale players just seem to sit too far off the attackers and allow time and space for them to measure a cross. Add to this the inability to cope with the long punt/through ball although Spearing's ball yesterday was impressive. 

All were on glaring display yesterday and have been for some time.

Archived