onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

I think sticking 2 DM in front of the back 4 brings with it it’s own problems.

Better to get the defence ‘knowing what they’re doing’ than resorting to that.

Not for me thanks. 

The new lad at CB is unproven. Would you put him in? I’m not sure? This defence needs experience. He could, however, be the answer to our problems but it would be a big risk.

This is really unfair I know. And I do like Smith in the right back four. But an independent observer would say he is highly experienced at getting relegated and being near the bottom of League 2. 

So if we keep doing the same thing, we will get the same result. At the moment I can't see how we can get a result against Newport on Vale Park's pitch. Ignore the rugby strewn mud heap at Rodney Parade where we nearly got away with it. On our pitch we won't and the central defence and full backs and holding midfield need to be rock solid and error free. I think there is a week to work on the back four and our new acquisition should get a game.

Advert

8 minutes ago, Warren said:

Credit good coaching with Monthe. He has been massively improved from an immobile giant lump. Actually credit himself, because he has put the work in.

I was impressed with Tranmere when they won 'easily' at Vale. I predicted a top 3 position for them then. keith Hill is a superb manager at League 1/ 2. You get out what you put in in the majority of things in life.

3 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

I thought Tranmere were a decent side. They’ve got some good players at League 2 and even some at League 1. 

Can see them going straight back up.

Well they are in range. I think it is what goes unnoticed that sometimes counts. They've got physicality. We haven't. I can't believe Morecambe are where they are; that is down to organised physicality. 

11 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

Let’s be honest, we all got carried away by a brilliant run of form from January to March 2020. That run propelled us into play off contenders and we all thought that we were on to something good. This momentum was boosted by the Man City game and the sense of their being a ‘new era’. 

During the first half of 2020 there was a massive feel good factor around the club. We had finished the season (albeit prematurely) in a positive manner and we had new owners to lead us to apparent glory. On the top of that we retained the majority of the squad that had finished the premature season in good form, on the cusp of the play offs.

There was no guarantee of us making the play offs by the way, we still had about 2 months of the season to play. We may have finished last season 10th and fell way short of the play offs. This may have led to a bigger squad rebuild.

We were solid, not spectacular last season. We were 10th for ages until our unexpected run of form. We didn’t lose many games but it felt like we missed that added quality. We have now lost any signs of being solid and we are still missing that added quality.

Looking back it seems that we have stagnated. We wrongly thought that last seasons squad would be good enough and we were blinkered by the premature end of the 2020 season. We never added quality, we took a chance on potential and squad players. That’s the difference. 

If we’d have signed just 3 quality, proven players then I believe we would be challenging for promotion. A quality centre half, centre midfielder and striker is what we needed. Instead we chose to rely on Legge, Joyce and Pope. Whilst also signing the likes of Whitehead and Robinson.

Tranmere have Vaughan, Spearing and Monthe. 

This is spot on. Last year was the exception to the rule. This is the second season that the majority of this squad has delivered absolute dross. We finished well last season but I think that blinkered the view from the fact we were still very much a team in transition. The bulk of the squad is still the relegation material that Aspin assembled. This season should have seen replacements for brown, legg, Joyce and pope, with the aforementioned slowly becoming bit parts. But we signed none and are now massively at sea. We signed a load of nomads that no one wanted in mills, Fitzpatrick, whitehead and mckirdy. Add to that Robinson who just doesn’t fit at vale for whatever reason. It’s no surprise that we are back where we are with this squad of players, they have proved it on 2 seperate occasions now. 

Whoever comes in now has a massive task or rebuilding a full squad. I make it 14 players at least to get rid of. 

(Mills,Fitzpatrick,legge,visser,Joyce,oyleke,whitehead,burgess,crookes,Cullen,mckirdy,Robinson,Guthrie)

Then add to that the fact we may not hold on to conlon, Worrall, gibbons. We could be in a right my mess. Signing that volume of players at one time never works. Askey really did make a mess of the summer recruitment and it’s not going to be an overnight fix. 

On the subject of Hurst I’d much rather that we give him experience and develop him rather than us giving another clubs player some loan experience. Let’s look after our own for once and bring them on ourselves. 

Personally I thought he put more crosses in than devante when he came on and had a lot more desire than a few on that pitch yesterday

17 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

"Prefer" or having to cut our cloth with no income coming in?  Anyway, at the very outset the new owners stated quite clearly that the plan was to run the club sustainably, but people seem very keen to bypass that fact.  Do fans honestly think we can throw cash around like it's anormal season?

How do Tranmere afford Vaughn? I'm sure Keith Hill isn't cheap but probably not costing the earth. I'll take into account we have the previous owner to pay off but we seem to be a club of old boys, hangers on and some very very average journeymen footballers. Trim the dead wood and pay for a decent striker and manager.

On the subject of desire - Where has the desire to defend everything gone?

For all 3 of their goals and their countless attack, how slow were we to get out and close and man down and out marking was utterly rubbish....

It’s no wonder we keep conceding when you have a team of players that think it’s ok to jog out to close a player down, think it’s ok to stand back and let them run at you... or think it’s ok to try and defend a ball from 3 yards off your man!

It’s shambolic!!!! But desire starts from all parts of the pitch, from the 1st 10 mins I thought the front 3 + Conlon closed down really well... but the rest of the team and thereafter we god damn pedestrian.....

What I’d give for 10 Tom Conlon’s!

16 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

That was my original point ... we ll never do any good with our sick list and maybe I was wrong to drag gibbo into it he s a player I really like but he does miss games through injury... including today !
We can carry an injury prone player, I remember Foyley explaining to me he knew Lee Mathews was injury prone but he was worth a risk at very little cost to the Vale... we can all remember Michael Walsh I m sure... but we ve never had such a list of players we can’t get out on the pitch Manny, Monty, Amoo, Cullen and then compound that with Legge suspensions, Conlons injury, Gibbo s injury, and it’s no wonder we ve struggled.  I can only remember one player missing semi regularly under Adams ( Vincent) ... have to get shut of any players we can’t get out in the pitch I m afraid we have too many of them.

While I m on a rant we re also too lightweight as I said at the start of the season... then take Pope and Legge out and we re bantam weight.

so frustrating because it wouldn’t take much to turn this team around. 

thank goodness for the cricket in the morning even the rugby let me down 😂

Problem is we cant afford to buy/sign the real Mcoy so we are in the dented tin aisle buying ones with no label on hoping for a tin of Caviar. Seem to be getting alot of Dog meat.

39 minutes ago, dantheman said:

This is spot on. Last year was the exception to the rule. This is the second season that the majority of this squad has delivered absolute dross. We finished well last season but I think that blinkered the view from the fact we were still very much a team in transition. The bulk of the squad is still the relegation material that Aspin assembled. This season should have seen replacements for brown, legg, Joyce and pope, with the aforementioned slowly becoming bit parts. But we signed none and are now massively at sea. We signed a load of nomads that no one wanted in mills, Fitzpatrick, whitehead and mckirdy. Add to that Robinson who just doesn’t fit at vale for whatever reason. It’s no surprise that we are back where we are with this squad of players, they have proved it on 2 seperate occasions now. 

Whoever comes in now has a massive task or rebuilding a full squad. I make it 14 players at least to get rid of. 

(Mills,Fitzpatrick,legge,visser,Joyce,oyleke,whitehead,burgess,crookes,Cullen,mckirdy,Robinson,Guthrie)

Then add to that the fact we may not hold on to conlon, Worrall, gibbons. We could be in a right my mess. Signing that volume of players at one time never works. Askey really did make a mess of the summer recruitment and it’s not going to be an overnight fix. 

Add Pope and Brown to that list. Unless he's prepared to be keeper coach /understudy 

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

I thought Tranmere were a decent side. They’ve got some good players at League 2 and even some at League 1. 

Can see them going straight back up.

Quality is worth its weight in gold at this level and ex-PL players like Vaughan and Spearing make a big difference at Tranmere.I see they've also signed David Nugent as well.Cambridge have also benefited from the signing of Irish international Wes Hoolahan.

Archived