onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Probably better as an attacking fullback , probably have him as a squad player but certainly not good enough yet if we are thinking of promotion
I was saying yesterday I'd put him at right back. He's quick he can tackle, pass a ball, he's got loads of energy and surely cant do any worse than Mills who is constantly out of position.

The trouble is not up the pitch its at the back they are not capable of defending properly the back four yesterday were shocking add to that joyce the defending midfielder is no help at all. This has been going on all season it needs sorting out  next year or it will be the same again we need at least 4 new defenders plus gibbons who can defend properly it would help if they see the danger before it happens and stop making the same mistakes week in week out. The other problem we have got starts with  Joyce his legs have gone to slow on the ball and gives the ball away far to often people moaned about Anthony Griffiths but he new his limitations but god opponents in midfield new they were in for a tough match when up against him he had that steel in himself Joyce is weak in the tackle and just adds to one of the worst defences i have ever seen at the vale.

There appears to be a number of problems at Vale at the moment.

The biggest IMO is the defence. Watching the game back, we don’t defend ‘as a unit’. They are 4 individuals, each trying to do their own thing. There seems to be no one leading them. 

An example that stood out for me was the in the second half, where Brown made a save, diving to his left, I think from a Vaughan chance. As the ball was about to be delivered, Smith moves out and tries to take the rest of the defence with him. Obviously, to try to catch them off side. No one follows him or his instruction. And ‘Vaughan’ (I think) is left unmarked.

Quite literally ‘school boy’ defending.

The problems in defence seem obvious BUT what are the coaching staff doing about it?

I appreciate that there are many individual battles that our defenders need to be much better with but having the basic idea of defending as a unit, knowing your job, being lead by someone in that back 4 will certainly help.

If it’s the case that if we play Legge, it triggers a clause in his contract that he gets another year, this becomes a ‘bit’ of a dilemma.

As a fan, I feel that, ‘Vale’ are just trying to see the season out. It’s almost like ‘Don’t play Legge because we don’t want to trigger this clause’ which I understand as he’s knocking on a bit. But in the meantime, we have a defence which appears to be ‘all over the gaff’ and we’ve not brought in a proven CB in the transfer window. May be we didn’t have the funds?

My main concern is that, by having an attitude of ‘let’s just see the season out’, this can create a culture within the players of ‘Oh, it doesn’t really matter how we play or how much effort I put in because we’re just seeing the season out’. This will quickly turn into (if it hasn’t already turned in to) a relegation battle and trying to turn this attitude around is/will be very difficult.

We need a winning, ambitious culture in the dressing room NOT we’ll just see the season out. Regardless whether or not the play offs or promotion is realistic.

I looked at the team sheet and I could only see one outcome with the back four chosen. The back four was not big enough to cope with Tranmere. The centre halves don't have the distribution skills to keep possession. Going to be a give to Joyce time and again situation. Montano at left back is a really bad idea on Tranmere's pitch. Its about distribution up the line by accurate passing and not dribbling. Not suited at all. 

So I didn't pay my £10 to watch this. I guess if crowds were allowed in I would have actually walked there, but on tv there is a choice. 

The impression I have got from all this is the season has been written off and we are building for next season. Trying players out and hoping to just stay out of trouble. 

18 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

If it’s the case that if we play Legge, it triggers a clause in his contract that he gets another year, this becomes a ‘bit’ of a dilemma.

As a fan, I feel that, ‘Vale’ are just trying to see the season out. It’s almost like ‘Don’t play Legge because we don’t want to trigger this clause’ which I understand as he’s knocking on a bit. But in the meantime, we have a defence which appears to be ‘all over the gaff’ and we’ve not brought in a proven CB in the transfer window. May be we didn’t have the funds?

My main concern is that, by having an attitude of ‘let’s just see the season out’, this can create a culture within the players of ‘Oh, it doesn’t really matter how we play or how much effort I put in because we’re just seeing the season out’. This will quickly turn into (if it hasn’t already turned in to) a relegation battle and trying to turn this attitude around is/will be very difficult.

We need a winning, ambitious culture in the dressing room NOT we’ll just see the season out. Regardless whether or not the play offs or promotion is realistic.

Why are we always in this position with Legge?

Been down this road before haven't we, when he wasn't getting played for this reason?

Must be his rabbit out of the hat in every negotiation he has.

"Yeah, looks good, I'll sign. Just one thing though, haha, you know what I'm going to say don't you? You do don't you, ha! Stop it now! Stop looking at me like that! Yeah, I need another year if I play 20 games, obvs."

42 minutes ago, Walter said:

Thought we took him on loan. Ok just release him. Waste of time.

I think thats really harsh. Crap yesterday yes just like 1 - 11 He was extremely isolated and had no service whatsoever. Hasn't looked much of a goal threat in the games played to date but has a good workrate and general play has been good. He needs a strike partner and support.

49 minutes ago, Walter said:
1 hour ago, Jacob_123 said:

That is harsh considering he isn’t even on loan

Thought we took him on loan. Ok just release him. Waste of time.

But how many more times will we make useless signings? Who is responsible? You can put Klopp in charge but if the signings do not improve on the dross we have already we will never go anywhere. 

26 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

I agree totally. We do look like we are trying to see the season out. Its pathetic watching your team like that with 3 months still to play.

Trouble with Legge is the defence has looked equally shocking making the same mistakes when he has played. If he does play then we are committed to another season for a player who is not upto L2 standard these days even though he is better option than Crookes.

We are going to play a good side next weekend. We have played more games and teams at the bottom could catch up a bit midweek. We are only just staying out of trouble. We need to improve the defence and actually learn how to defend. It is not about standing round in shape, its about organised movement, challenging at the right time and having enough physicality to not get out muscled in front of our goal. Then its about being able to play out from the back well enough to get up the pitch still in possession. 

I don't know Port Vale's financial position but can guess terrible. I don't want to criticise the owners etc. But Legge obviously had to play yesterday from a player perspective. He's big, experienced, can pass etc. I know he has been error prone recently and some of that is likely age, but he is clearly our best centre half. 

Archived