onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Really don’t understand the criticism of Hurst, I think people are being really unfair on him. At the start of the season, I don’t think anyone thought he’d even be in our match day squad, and I include in that fans, management and probably Hurst himself. 

He’s gone straight from the national league north to league 2, playing in a sh*te team, thrown in at the deep end. He’s a young lad making his way in the game, not even played 15 league games yet, and he’s already being written off by some fans. 

He’s probably on a pittance so doesn’t exactly take up any budget, and he’s under 22 so isn’t counted in squad number. Been far better than some of the jokers out there recently. Gives 100% when he’s on. And he’s shown some good glimpses. Give the lad a chance for Christ’s sake.

Let’s be honest, we all got carried away by a brilliant run of form from January to March 2020. That run propelled us into play off contenders and we all thought that we were on to something good. This momentum was boosted by the Man City game and the sense of their being a ‘new era’. 

During the first half of 2020 there was a massive feel good factor around the club. We had finished the season (albeit prematurely) in a positive manner and we had new owners to lead us to apparent glory. On the top of that we retained the majority of the squad that had finished the premature season in good form, on the cusp of the play offs.

There was no guarantee of us making the play offs by the way, we still had about 2 months of the season to play. We may have finished last season 10th and fell way short of the play offs. This may have led to a bigger squad rebuild.

We were solid, not spectacular last season. We were 10th for ages until our unexpected run of form. We didn’t lose many games but it felt like we missed that added quality. We have now lost any signs of being solid and we are still missing that added quality.

Looking back it seems that we have stagnated. We wrongly thought that last seasons squad would be good enough and we were blinkered by the premature end of the 2020 season. We never added quality, we took a chance on potential and squad players. That’s the difference. 

If we’d have signed just 3 quality, proven players then I believe we would be challenging for promotion. A quality centre half, centre midfielder and striker is what we needed. Instead we chose to rely on Legge, Joyce and Pope. Whilst also signing the likes of Whitehead and Robinson.

Tranmere have Vaughan, Spearing and Monthe. 

Someone put on the opposition put six balls in out box today and all of them were pretty presentable chances .

If Pugh and Sinclair were that bothered about the result and it was result of leaving inept players on the pitch then surely after the first corner where the tranmere player hit the bar after we couldn't get it away surely surely he would have brought Legge and the lad from Huddersfield  on straight away but no wait till we conceded 3 horrific goals again with every cross Smith and Crookes no where be seen but Vaughan was was he not getting on the end of everything as our defenders were not doing there jobs as usual ,its very rarely they do but let's keep picking Smith cause he is the local boy made good yeah real good as he continually gives other teams presentable scoring chances as he is very rarely tight to his man ,ok a bit unfair once the game is lost he gets tight to his man ,but it's too late then the damage is already done as for Crookes I honestly want the lad do well but today he was static ,poor and not of the standard we need the Vale players be .

Mills defensively is all over the place but he is the easy target and everyone points the finger at him when we lose yet I'm sure it wasnt him who managed let his player run away from him for the first goal and yes for the second goal he gave it away the ball that is but no one put a challenge in at any point afterwards to concede yet another dreadful goal. 

The third goal was once again very weak willed tackling going on and let's face it Tranmere did very little create any openings in the game yet Mills Smith Crookes and Montano still nearly gave them 6 goals .

SO 7 goals conceded against a very average team who's defense did what ours should have being doing won everything ,had guts and will to win everything we did not show  

19 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Really don’t understand the criticism of Hurst, I think people are being really unfair on him. At the start of the season, I don’t think anyone thought he’d even be in our match day squad, and I include in that fans, management and probably Hurst himself. 

He’s gone straight from the national league north to league 2, playing in a sh*te team, thrown in at the deep end. He’s a young lad making his way in the game, not even played 15 league games yet, and he’s already being written off by some fans. 

He’s probably on a pittance so doesn’t exactly take up any budget, and he’s under 22 so isn’t counted in squad number. Been far better than some of the jokers out there recently. Gives 100% when he’s on. And he’s shown some good glimpses. Give the lad a chance for Christ’s sake.

They were my comments on Hurst.

Decent squad player, deserves a chance, cross with both feet.

I added that i would like to see more of a goal threat from him. It may come, hope so but sometimes you see a player is short of something and j feel this could be his problem. Hope i am wrong but my thoughts on him.

Certainly deserves his chance compared to the wide players we have had recently.

16 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Well said. Like I've said before - he's an easy target...but shouldn't be. Playing in a side with so little confidence, and a midfield that doesn't really get forward quickly enough to support the forwards, he's going to be restricted to firing crosses in that we're not going to benefit from because other teams know how to defend! Leave him alone - pick on the few seasoned pros who are not doing anything!

38 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Smith and Crookes no where be seen but Vaughan was was he not getting on the end of everything as our defenders were not doing there jobs as usual ,its very rarely they do but let's keep picking Smith cause he is the local boy made good yeah real good as he continually gives other teams presentable scoring chances as he is very rarely tight to his man ,ok a bit unfair once the game is lost he gets tight to his man ,but it's too late then the damage is already done as for Crookes I honestly want the lad do well but today he was static ,poor and not of the standard we need the Vale players be .

Give it a rest. Smith was alright. He was the least of our problems. Give it a rest. You hate him because... you do. For years and years, because you think he is a Stoke fan. Did you know Gibbo is a Stoke fan? I can deal with your "imaginative" team selection. But your relentless Smith bashing is, just daft. 

36 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

I added that i would like to see more of a goal threat from him. It may come, hope so but sometimes you see a player is short of something and j feel this could be his problem. Hope i am wrong but my thoughts on him.

Certainly deserves his chance compared to the wide players we have had recently.

36 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Yeah I do see your point, its not you in particular, there’s been several comments aimed at him throughout the thread writing him off saying he’s not gonna be good enough. 

4 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Give it a rest. Smith was alright. He was the least of our problems. Give it a rest. You hate him because... you do. For years and years, because you think he is a Stoke fan. Did you know Gibbo is a Stoke fan? I can deal with your "imaginative" team selection. But your relentless Smith bashing is, just daft. 

Give it a rest I will give it a rest when I believe he is good enough play for Port Vale ,do not care if he is a stoke  fan certainly plays like he is one ,never liked him the day stoke got relegated from the premier league his body language and then his utterly tripe performance in a 5-0 defeat v Cambridge was all the proof I needed where his heart is ,in my opinion they ought <ovf censored> him off asap .

He was alright what game were you watching no he wasnt he was garbage, attitudes like yours and lot of others on here will put us in the national league open your eyes to what's going on ,the quicker he is omitted from the team the better ,years he as being in it the teams that is and years we have being dire with a lot of defeats .

He is part of the problem always has being in my opinion ,Gibbons his a different kind altogether he doesn't make half the errors Smith does .

Will you still be loving him when he takes us to the national league ,legge is twenty of him it's no wonder Legge has someone round the throat when players can  not do there jobs properly and he is one they all pointing at when it's anything but Legge its the other one the one who you deluded lot think is great ,he isnt watch the games 

2 hours ago, Powerline said:

Today Hurst was far more effective vs Khan than  Rodney.

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Today Hurst was far more effective vs Khan than  Rodney.

Hurst is light weight and achieves nothing.  Looks good in flashes, does nowt. That pathetic back heel totally telegraphed when he could have put in it the box. And the lame dive to try to get a pen? He would not get near a first team place in the conference.  Mind you, that is better than a lot of the dross we have.

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

I’d take 11 players with the attitude of someone like Gibbo. Stoke fan or not, it makes no difference who they support as long as they give their all for the shirt. You’re right though both those players aren’t liked by VFIA because they’re Stoke fans, he’s openly said it in the past. 

Defenders are just pushing him on his left foot and he has to cut back on his right. He is not a winger he just runs up and down a lot. He's not good enough yet and I don't think he will be worth taking up a squad place next season.

Probably better as an attacking fullback , probably have him as a squad player but certainly not good enough yet if we are thinking of promotion

Hurst is not a winger and next year he will take up a squad place.

Archived