onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Thank you Danny Pugh

Iron Curtain

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

At least know you finally acknowledge that I did indeed make it up. Had you actually not conveniently skipped over the post I made soon after saying so, you could have saved yourself a fair bit of time, and my time also, and the need for a bit of profile stalking today.

Oh, no sorry, maybe I have confused you with my poor attempt at humour. My bad... it was too soon.

For absolute clarity... I don’t think you made it up. I think you tried to look all “in the know” and only say you made it up soon after because you got called out and now you are embarrassed by it.

But please ... don’t let me stop you, tell us how you are DEFINITELY in the know this time and how you know Flitcroft was at VP. Did he have a nice time?

Advert

32 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Seeing as the window is shut, we've been okay when Pugh has been around, baring a miracle run we are not going up, and baring a nightmare run we are not going down, I see no reason not to stick with Pugh until the end of the season. And see how it goes.

Addressed this in another thread, but - this kicks the issues down the road. A new manager will benefit from being integrated into the club (tactics, culture, recruitment) before the summer and the squad rebuilding that'll have to occur.

The good managers are going to cost the same in June, we're just throwing away 5 months of prep time to see if Pugh is any good.

We can start planning for next season before this one is finished. In fact, I'd say that was the best course of action if we want to make a better fist out of reaching the top 7, and not a 'see how things go' mantra and then trying to assemble a promotion-winning squad in a rush if a new man needs to be brought in.

In my view, we either commit to Pugh for next season or get a new man in now. None of this halfway house stuff. Make a decision and wholeheartedly get behind it. The club needs a sense of direction, not a gentle meander to the summer with fingers crossed.

We need an experienced manager and my view remains the same. Beating Southend, one of the worst teams at Vale Park and Grimsby, is not a sign of progress. 

Even so, that decision does not need to be rushed and we don’t need to accept ransom demands thinking we are desperate. 

The only thing that's peed me off over this, is it just comes across so lazy from Carol.
And no it isn't having a go at her, as no one can deny her love for the Club.
However it came across as though she only started looking for an external appointment after fans kicked off and now it's looks like she is only after an out of work manager.
IF that shortlist that was leaked yesterday is correct, then to not have Adams on it, is bizarre.
Personally I wouldn't be against Pugh, however it would be quite a back track from the Experianced, Succesful Manager she said she was after.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Addressed this in another thread, but - this kicks the issues down the road. A new manager will benefit from being integrated into the club (tactics, culture, recruitment) before the summer and the squad rebuilding that'll have to occur.

The good managers are going to cost the same in June, we're just throwing away 5 months of prep time to see if Pugh is any good.

We can start planning for next season before this one is finished. In fact, I'd say that was the best course of action if we want to make a better fist out of reaching the top 7, and not a 'see how things go' mantra and then trying to assemble a promotion-winning squad in a rush if a new man needs to be brought in.

In my view, we either commit to Pugh for next season or get a new man in now. None of this halfway house stuff.  Make a decision.

The one thing on that though is it’s a bit like buying a house... what you buy depends on when you are looking.

Unless we go and approach another teams manager we are going to take someone who is out of work.

I don’t know the right answer, but if the pool of available managers isn’t what we want right now, there MAY be benefit to seeing if that changes at the end of the season. That could backfire of course and the available managers could be worse than what’s available now. Tough call! 

3 minutes ago, butt lane vale fan said:

The only thing that's peed me off over this, is it just comes across so lazy from Carol.
And no it isn't having a go at her, as no one can deny her love for the Club.
However it came across as though she only started looking for an external appointment after fans kicked off and now it's looks like she is only after an out of work manager.
IF that shortlist that was leaked yesterday is correct, then to not have Adams on it, is bizarre.
Personally I wouldn't be against Pugh, however it would be quite a back track from the Experianced, Succesful Manager she said she was after.

The debate on whether Adams would be interested has been done to death... but it’s not a foregone conclusion he would be interested. 

Maybe we approached and he said no? Maybe he didn’t apply?

Interesting comments from Boom Boom on the Ale & the Vale podcast about when Gannon left and the Vale still only managed to win 2 out of 10 when the hope wa they could try and reinvigorate their season at the higher end of the league.

He goes on about how momentum plays such a large part in football and players find it hard to get out of the losing headspace.

Without sounding like I'm praising Pugh which for some reason seems to trigger some fans, its worth reiterating the thanks for taking on the job and getting results when they were so hard to get before hand.

17 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Interesting comments from Boom Boom on the Ale & the Vale podcast about when Gannon left and the Vale still only managed to win 2 out of 10 when the hope wa they could try and reinvigorate their season at the higher end of the league.

He goes on about how momentum plays such a large part in football and players find it hard to get out of the losing headspace.

Without sounding like I'm praising Pugh which for some reason seems to trigger some fans, its worth reiterating the thanks for taking on the job and getting results when they were so hard to get before hand.

There is actually a huge scientific study, that show sacking the manager doesn't help, at least if points are the problem. The team MAY experience a small surge in points immediately, but after a short 'honeymoon' period, the total points goes back to where they where. In fact, the studies showed, that teams that DIDN'T sack their manager, ended with in average 2.89 MORE point, than teams that sacked their manager. And those 2.89 point, could well and truly be the difference between relegation and staying up

Archived