onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Southend United

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Completely agree with you re. Pope.

Find it a bit strange, however, that Pope is the only player you regard as a Vale legend since 1971, therefore obviously excluding all of the Rudge reign and great times throughout the 80s and 90s.

Incidentally, you remarked to another poster that they "obviously never watched Tommy Cheadle Harry Poole" - yet state that you started in 1971........how have you managed to see those players then?! 🤔 🥴

What Pope has done for Port Vale single handedly puts him above the 80's 90's group in my opinion, yes there were some exciting skillfull players but no one has had the influence on the pitch and the club as Pope.

I would put Robbie Earle above Phil Sproson in the same group.

Never saw Cheadle you didnt need to see him but folk law tells it, he was captain of a wonderful side and a wonderful group of people.

I have also made a mistake i should have said 1961 my apologies my memory is not as good as it should be with dates but good enough to remember that Phil Sproson was a very good player I was sure we had one promotion with Phil because he cashed in his insurance before the Bristol Rovers Play off game I could be wrong and I am sure you will put me right if I am !!  

Any way more importantly who do you want as the new manager ?

32 minutes ago, Mario said:

What Pope has done for Port Vale single handedly puts him above the 80's 90's group in my opinion, yes there were some exciting skillfull players but no one has had the influence on the pitch and the club as Pope.

Never saw Cheadle you didnt need to see him but folk law tells it, he was captain of a wonderful side and a wonderful group of people.

I have also made a mistake i should have said 1961 my apologies my memory is not as good as it should be with dates but good enough to remember that Phil Sproson was a very good player I was sure we had one promotion with Phil because he cashed in his insurance before the Bristol Rovers Play off game I could be wrong and I am sure you will put me right if I am !!  

I agree that Pope has probably been more influential and impactful as an individual than many other 'legends', as he's often been part of a 'not very good' team - i.e. his goals to keep us from relegation to non-league.

Sproson (Phil) was part of 2 promotions - 82/83 & 85/86.

As for manager, seeing as the Cowleys and Paul Cook were always pie-in-the-sky options, and Cotterill (who has been my preferred choice on a number of occasions) was snapped up by Shrewsbury recently, then of the two that it seems to be between, I'd prefer Flitcroft than McGreal.

16 hours ago, Mario said:

He's not a true Vale legend in my eyes, he was just a good centre half.

I think Phil Sproson was pretty unlucky. He's overshadowed by his uncle's achievements and got injured just when he was about to go into the second division. 

For the first 8/9 years I saw the Vale he was an absolute shoe-in at the back and with his aerial dominance he was a useful goalscorer from corners and set pieces. 

For me, there would have been no contest about his "legend" status if he hadn't have got injured in 1989. He was only 30 and would almost certainly have got past 500 appearances and possibly 600-odd. He would also have been able to prove himself at a higher level as well. 

p.s. Technical note here. What's the criteria for a promotion medal? Surely Sproson should have three - 82/83, 84/85 and 88/89 but only the first two are noted on his Wikipedia entry. He made 20 appearances in 88/89 which is surely enough to merit a promotion medal - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Sproson

1 hour ago, Mario said:

If you had seen Cheadle play you would never forget him,  due to the war he  did not make his league debut until he was 27.

We're slightly off on a tangent but I'd imagine if you are in the top ten strikers or top ten all time appearances (since c. 1876) then you're probably entitled to legend status. In addition you would have to look at players who have got us promoted, particularly to the Championship, and without doubt the players in the 53-54 team.

We've had a number of good and very good lads playing for us but only a few who would fulfil that criteria.

Phil Sproson I think played around 500 games for us, all told, and was involved in promotion campaigns and a few cup runs. He qualifies as a club legend for me. From memory, isn't he is the top 4-5 for appearances?

28 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

If you had seen Cheadle play you would never forget him,  due to the war he  did not make his league debut until he was 27.

met him once when I was at a friends he was a post man delivering had a chat a lovely bloke he would have stopped all day if we'd let him ! as he walked off he shouted " never a penalty " brilliant.

2 hours ago, robf said:

I think Phil Sproson was pretty unlucky. He's overshadowed by his uncle's achievements and got injured just when he was about to go into the second division. 

For the first 8/9 years I saw the Vale he was an absolute shoe-in at the back and with his aerial dominance he was a useful goalscorer from corners and set pieces. 

For me, there would have been no contest about his "legend" status if he hadn't have got injured in 1989. He was only 30 and would almost certainly have got past 500 appearances and possibly 600-odd. He would also have been able to prove himself at a higher level as well. 

p.s. Technical note here. What's the criteria for a promotion medal? Surely Sproson should have three - 82/83, 84/85 and 88/89 but only the first two are noted on his Wikipedia entry. He made 20 appearances in 88/89 which is surely enough to merit a promotion medal - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Sproson

I think they only give play-off medals put to players who take part in the play-offs and Phil had retired by then due to his injury.

Definitely a club legend though. I reckon if he was a striker banging in goals rather than a defender then nobody would dispute his legend status. 

16 hours ago, hamilboy said:

For me the whole of the 1954 sqaud are my legends of the vale nobody will emulate what they did you can all have your favorite players like i do but as a team they were our untouchables end of.

asoulutley agree, in the semi the penalty given to the baggies was 2 yards outside the box. there is a great photo of it in a potteries book but :drink:being an owd fart, i cant remember its name.

18 hours ago, Wrex said:

I think they only give play-off medals put to players who take part in the play-offs and Phil had retired by then due to his injury.

@WrexReally? I thought it was that rule that if you played more than ten games in a promotion campaign you qualify. Surely without the success during the season proper the club wouldn't be in the play-offs in the first place.

It seems very harsh that Phil Sproson and Bob Hazel (both more than 25 apps during the season) don't get a promotion credit but Ronnie Jepson (2 appearances) does simply because Jepson was an unused sub during the four play-off games.

Archived