onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Southend United

Fosse69

10 minutes ago, Mario said:

Dont deny he was a very good player he played around 430 games, was half the player his uncle was who never left club, he's in the same bracket as Glover Aspin and Cheadle, legend is spread about too easily for me.

Pope is the only player Iv'e seen who could be described as a legend.

Captain, Goals kept us in the football league and Vale through and through.

How old are you?  You've obviously never seen Sproson play.  Twice PFA team of the year.  Just to be clear, that's the team selected by fellow players, not just some random pundit.

Advert

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

How old are you?  You've obviously never seen Sproson play.  Twice PFA team of the year.  Just to be clear, that's the team selected by fellow players, not just some random pundit.

Old enough thank you, you obviously never watched Tommy Cheadle Harry Poole ,legend thrown about too easily, one of those modern celebrity thingys.

6 minutes ago, Mario said:

Old enough thank you, you obviously never watched Tommy Cheadle Harry Poole ,legend thrown about too easily, one of those modern celebrity thingys.

You don't know who I've watched.  You're saying Pope is a legend but Phil Sproson not.  I stand by what I said, you've never seen Sproson play.

10 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

You don't know who I've watched.  You're saying Pope is a legend but Phil Sproson not.  I stand by what I said, you've never seen Sproson play.

Well I'm sorry to dissapoint you but Ive been going to the Vale since 1971 and I am entitled to my opinion.

Sproson audibly sighed when Taylor was taken off, I don't want agents of players passing comments that are so biased towards their own.
Agree as well about Blakeman and Smith, Denis is ok but Angela what a suppercillious lady she is, typical woman .....never wrong and knows it all. 
On the Sproson theme, hope the club and the new manager look further afield for new recruits than Sproson.

I’m pretty sure there is a sexist comment in this post 🤷‍♀️

5 minutes ago, Caroline Oakes said:

I’m pretty sure there is a sexist comment in this post 🤷‍♀️

There is and has been rectified earlier in the thread with jacko. Although on reflection Ive never known a lady admit she was wrong and if I ever get on who wants to be a millionare I'm having my missus as phone a friend because if I ever tell her anything she says I know...........🤣

49 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

And you don’t know who he’s watched. Works both ways

1 hour ago, Mario said:

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Dont deny he was a very good player he played around 430 games, was half the player his uncle was who never left club, he's in the same bracket as Glover Aspin and Cheadle, legend is spread about too easily for me.

For me the whole of the 1954 sqaud are my legends of the vale nobody will emulate what they did you can all have your favorite players like i do but as a team they were our untouchables end of.

11 hours ago, Mario said:

Completely agree with you re. Pope.

Find it a bit strange, however, that Pope is the only player you regard as a Vale legend since 1971, therefore obviously excluding all of the Rudge reign and great times throughout the 80s and 90s.

Incidentally, you remarked to another poster that they "obviously never watched Tommy Cheadle Harry Poole" - yet state that you started in 1971........how have you managed to see those players then?! 🤔 🥴

42 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I would say Pope is the only legend this side of the millennium (apart from Naylor for example who rolled over from the 90s).

Legends  are based upon the contribution they made  to that period, only Pope this century, with  Cheadle for the 1954 season,  Sproson  for many seasons,  as other examples without going into the Rudge years.  Comparisons between periods are difficult because of different playing conditions also.

I'm sure Pope would have been expecting to play a sub role, considering we bought in a good mix of strikers capable of playing decent L2 football. He's only had to play so much because Rodney has been the only one fit / good enough most the time. That's not on him, and most in this league would like to have a player like Pope available on their  bench, even at his age. I assume that he'll play the rest of his career at Vale and then move into a coaching role, which I welcome. You really can't put a price on having a player / staff that are also fans, because they care much more than money could ever make them. 

Archived