onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Southend United

Fosse69

4 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

Very happy tonight, great all round performance by the lads. Gibbo made a huge difference for me. Few contenders for mom, obviously Rodney for one, but I thought Guthrie was mustard today, great hold up play and chased everything, just needed a goal to top off a great performance. There will be tougher opponents for us, but well happy with that display.

Baffles me the criticism of Guthrie levelled by Bradford fans.

Last thing he is is lazy and bad in the air. Grafts in the channels and wins 90% of his headers. A proper focal point, one we've been crying out for for a while (one who is mobile but can also be used as a target man).

A goal or two is inevitable. 

Advert

Southend and Grimsby are a combined -52 goals between them. When you think that third from bottom Barrow are just -3 goals it will be a miracle if EITHER of these two stay up......

They were both abysmal and when you look at Grimsby they’ve had a kind January playing teams all down the bottom and got a solitary point against Southend.

I was convinced Tuesday we’d go down but based on those two we probably don’t need to do much more to have enough points! Hard to see either getting say 40 points...

Interesting looking at the table tonight. Only three clubs have scored more than us (and here was I saying all season we had no goals in the side 😲) but only three, including Southend and Grimsby) have conceded more. So that's it for our new manager - shore it up at the back!

https://www.skysports.com/football/morecambe-vs-tranmere/table/430577

As Vale fans we all have different opinions on players etc but we are not former players.

Sproson is both fan and former player and I thought his views were spot on.

He pointed out that keeping a clean sheet is what was important when 4 up and that's why he was furious about Rodney's misplaced pass that led to their goal.

As Sproson said they were wide open and all Rodney had to do was lift it anywhere in their half and Guthrie was in. But he tried to play a slide rule pass that wasn't needed.

Sproey was incredibly frustrated, and yes Conlon or other players should have bollxd him .. that is how he will learn.

Sproson was also right to point out that we are a different team with Gibbons and Montano as attacking full backs but Mills and Fitzpatrick are not that type of player. They are defensive full backs.

One thing both Bowers and Sproson seem to have missed Southend played the last ten minutes with only 10 men?

They were breaking down their left when their lad pulled a hamstring and walked off. They had already made their 5 subs.

Still, a wonderful result for us all.

Whoever comes in will be inheriting a far better team than Askey did.

Anyone else been looking at the possibility of still making the play-offs?

Fat lady hadn't even cleared her throat yet !!!

12 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Anyone else been looking at the possibility of still making the play-offs?

Fat lady hadn't even cleared her throat yet !!!

Small matter of winning 3 more games than the teams above us, fairly tall order but a change from  gazing at the  safety margin to the drop zone

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Baffles me the criticism of Guthrie levelled by Bradford fans.

Last thing he is is lazy and bad in the air. Grafts in the channels and wins 90% of his headers. A proper focal point, one we've been crying out for for a while (one who is mobile but can also be used as a target man).

A goal or two is inevitable. 

Like him I do. First minute he contributed towards Rodney’s goal.Just needs stick one in the onion bag to give him a bit of confidence. So unlucky with the chance he hit on the turn. Best save their keeper made all game. Gives us pace and power and seems to have a good leap on him. Keep him and Rodney fit and we won’t be scrapping around the bottom, I guarantee you that.  

Wonder if the new gaffer has spoken to Pugh about the current players would seem daft if he turns up cold on monday and has to start finding his parking spot, office, coffee machine footballs etc it'll be lunch time before he can ship anyone out.

Cullen not on the bench, with no other forwards on the bench and with Rodney recently back from injury, would suggest he's going.

'Competition for places', Pugh said, but Cullen is 1 of 3 fit strikers and didn't make the 18.

McKirdy, Whitehead, Robinson, Legge, and Cullen - there's a fair bit of wages not even making the bench today.

6 hours ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

When Jake Taylor gives the ball away neither commentator even mentions it...

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

Good, that. Players looked bothered and having proper full backs was a welcome treat after the Chuckle Brothers of recent months.

Rodney seems to be able to score from anywhere, which is nice. When was the last time we had a double figures forward not named Tom Pope? Leitch-Smith?

Bradford fans were chatting sh!te regarding Guthrie; wins every header and is a willing runner. Presses well. Lacks confidence in the area but not a bad little pick up.

Can't get carried away - we've won 4 times since the start of November, and 3 of those have been against teams currently in the bottom 2 (and the other is 18th). The new man still has a big job to finish top half.

However, was nice to enjoy a Port Vale game. Hope Monty isn't injured again.

A side note; I am sick and tired of Sproson on commentary. Bloke spent 15 minutes banging on about Rodney's pass which lead to their wonder goal. Kept going, on and on. Shut up man. Was reluctant to even commend his first half (was exceptional, it has to be said) Wouldn't have mentioned the pass if it was Taylor or Crookes, I am sure. Sick of his clearly partisan takes.

Flitman General in Monday morning, and let's sort this season out.

6 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

Commentators seem to be hammering Rodney for the miss pass and leading to their goal.  Ferguson ran into our half, so where were the midfield and defenders to close him down?  Just wondering.

Well done Pugh and Co and all the players for todays 3 points.  Great to hear the game and see us winning.  

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

Was stupid from Sproson. Came across really weird. Can't stand him on commentary. Rodney was outstanding, again, and most of the commentary was devoted to analysing a misplaced through ball, and then annoyance at players not abusing Rodney for it. Strange man.

6 hours ago, 1 said:

Having someone on commentary who is the agent for some of the players makes the points completely biased and stupid

6 hours ago, jeffers said:

Did notice when Crookes scuffed a clearance straight to a Southend player......no comment. 

6 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

Just thought that Sproson comes across like a football dad who only wants to support his own kid during a game

6 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

Agree with you but Sproson only seemed to slam him.  What about the defenders and midfield for not putting a tackle in.  Nothing about them not putting a tackle in.  Sounded like a cracking shot by Ferguson tho.

It has been commented a lot about Vale being a quiet team and not many leaders on the pitch when needed.  This is the sort of incident that highlights this.  Rodney should be told that was wrong what he did.

But the commentators seemed to go over the top with their criticism of Rodney and not other players who should have tackled Ferguson.  

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

Ridiculous hammering of Rodders by RS for a defendable mistake around the half way line. He made a mistake, so? All players do. He'd already scored two and was instrumental in putting us in control.

Remind me how well we have done without him in the last couple of games? What is a tongue lashing going to achieve? He knows he's made a mistake.

5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Radio Stoke shouldn't have him on the commentary.

He has a conflict of interest. It's embarrassing sometimes how biased he is towards his own players.

@Phil B

Phil, these comments come every week from a wide range of people. Sproson annoys the fans week in week out. Someone on RS needs to man up and admit on air why you let an incredibly biased, transparent football agent commentate on a team featuring several players who pay him an annual percentage for representation. His bias is painfully clear. 

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Small matter of winning 3 more games than the teams above us, fairly tall order but a change from  gazing at the  safety margin to the drop zone

I think a couple of seasons ago i think it was newport they were 14th in march and went on a mad run through april and managed to get into the play offs if we keep the side that played today fit youd never know but thats a big if with our players seem to be made of glass. 

the quality of teams this year is not great ive not been really impressed with any team vale have played agaisnt this season they have all been beatable teams. 

Hopefully we will get a the 'new manager bounce' and will start picking up results more consistently. 

its a long shot and i deffo dont think we will i think were bound to pick up injurys. 

but imagine the scenes if today was turning point of our season and we went on a mad run. 
there is normally one team that makes a surge after christmas could it be us?

Archived