onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Southend United

Fosse69

Advert

1 minute ago, jeffers said:

Did notice when Crookes scuffed a clearance straight to a Southend player......no comment. 

Crookes got a goal and didn't play poorly but he's still not an EFL standard centre half. Heading lacks direction and power. Not convinced with him at all.

Sproson won't mention that though, and that's why he shouldn't be commentating.

Huge win with a good 1st performance professionally seen out 2nd half. 

Only disappointment goal conceded but to single out Rodney for it is wrong. Yes he made the wrong decision and gave the ball away but Mills has shown the player inside standing too far away from him(we have seen this form Mills all season) and Joyce has not closed the space down when he came inside. Its basic defending where we have given to much space to shoot. 

Overall good display lots we should be positive about.

Rodney was unplayable 1st half.

Guthrie was excellent target man.

Taylor look more like himself.

Crookes looked composed at CB and could pass the ball out from the back

More minutes for Gibbo & Manny

Just hope injuries to Brisley and in particular Monty is not serious.

Just now, 1 said:

It’s night and day when the players are fit compared to the stand ins. It is the difference between winning and losing virtually every game which is so frustrating.

Completely correct.  We've been very unlucky to lose so many of our first choice players and the back ups are just that, players who should be playing infrequenly.  This, and key players losing form, is the biggest reason Askey lost his job.

14 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Him, Conlon and an inform and confident Taylor in midfield would be top notch (sorry Joyce) in playing with a three.To think we've had to endure Joyce, Burgess and Whitehead at times.

I ll agree with you on Whitehead but Joyce is decent and Burgess can be used as cover and is still the right age to improve...

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Not this afternoon. But on the whole he's been found somewhat wanting. Certainly isn't someone to count on for next season.

People would do to remeber he was brought in as back up, not as first choice.  Injury to Gibbo forced us to play him.  Same with Fitz.

1 minute ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I ll agree with you on Whitehead but Joyce is decent and Burgess can be used as cover and is still the right age to improve...

Joyce I don't have a problem with. He offers experience and a steady head. Burgess has been toss though this season after a promising debut campaign. Still alright as backup to Conlon/Taylor though.

James Gibbons posted a picture on twitter a while back, in which people were asked to post a memory of 2020 when they were 'completely happy, nothing else mattered in that moment'.

He posted this. Not even his goal. Love everything about him. What a 45 from him. Not even sure what my point is. Just like James Gibbons. Up the Vale.

image.png.aaeb3d888be3a2b24e8be6fa350a759c.png

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

People would do to remeber he was brought in as back up, not as first choice.  Injury to Gibbo forced us to play him.  Same with Fitz.

True. I just like a full-back to have a bit of pace as they're often up against quick wide players. Mills is painfully slow.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Crookes got a goal and didn't play poorly but he's still not an EFL standard centre half. Heading lacks direction and power. Not convinced with him at all.

Crookes has to improve I agree but I thought taking young players from bigger clubs and improving them was what we wanted to do... we cant say that and then write young players off all the time. 
I don’t think he s as bad as people make out when he’s played as a left sided centre half... always good to have a natural left footer on   1 side of a back 2 or 3. 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Again, Crookes should be judged for what he is, a back up CB.  Likely he'll be playing now though unless Brisley is OK, Legge is recalled or we sign another player in that position before the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Again, Crookes should be judged for what he is, a back up CB.  Likely he'll be playing now though unless Brisley is OK, Legge is recalled or we sign another player in that position before the deadline.

Backups should be at least league standard, if you want to achieve anything. I don't think any of Crookes, Fitzpatrick, or Mills are, unfortunately. Hopefully we don't have to start them much again.

Archived