onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Southend United

Fosse69

Essential game to win, to lose is unthinkable. Board both goals up and settle for a 0-0. What can be changed? Stopping simple goals surely. Will the physical presence of Pugh instead of a Zoom image make any difference?  A longer presence of Gibbons and Manny on the pitch  may improve things, a new centre back would, or a defensive set-up even.

Advert

Because of the upcoming fixtures I feel it's a must win game.

Defeat and I truly believe we are in absolutely massive trouble.

Feels a massive game yet it's only January. I know these have lost a couple recently but they've really improved as they were all but down.

Who knows but I'll actually take a draw to keep the points difference the same. 

1-1

Absolute must win, but surely we have the advantage - at home, vs bottom of the league Southend, Pugh (and hopefully others) being back. A resounding win would push up back up and lift confidence.

When does the window close? If Legge leaves and we might manage to bring in another centre half.

Well, where do we go from here?

I’d like an experienced manager (Micky) in situ by the weekend but don’t think that’s going to happen. We’ll wait, and hope Pugh’s return from self-isolation will spur us on.

We have to try something different, and surely we have to shake up the defence. I was amazed the same 5 started last night.

Scott

Gibbo Legge New CB Crookes Monty

Oyeleke Conlon Worrall

Amoo Guthrie

Subs: Brown, Smith/Brisley, Fitz, Joyce, Taylor, Burgess, Hurst.

Amoo is only there as it sounds as though Guthrie is the only fit striker; we need Rodney back. I don’t want to see Guthrie up top on his own.

If Legge’s on his way and a new man is coming in, it’s a case of “least worst” with Smith and Brisley. I’m not sure, possibly Smith??

I think Mills and Fitz are very poor, Joyce has been shocking last few games, and Taylor hasn’t been at the races since we signed him permanently.

Because nothing seems to be working is there a case for giving the Taylor Burgess partnership a go like last season. I know Taylor was anonymous but we know he can score and that's priceless in a midfielder. 

He's the only bits and pieces midfield player for goals. Conlon is set piece or penalties he doesn't get enough run of the mill goals. 

Scott 

Gibbo Brisley Crookes Montano 

Taylor Conlon Burgess Worrall 

Rodney Guthrie

We are surely not being given the full extent of Rodney's injury as he's now missed two but if fit he's straight in the team. He's top scorer so has to play. 

If we play the way we did at Scunny, then well done Vale - the ever giving players you are allow Southend to beat us and close the relegation gap between us and them.  Southend probably win at a walking pace as well.

Just hope some of the key players are available for selection very soon and get back into the first team so we start to producing results.  Fans would not mind if they look as if they tried and did not just go through the "motions of being a footballer".

I feel so sorry for Carol and Kevin.  They bought the club and then covid happened which has not helped everyone.  They topped up the furlough wage to full amount for each player.  How do you pay them back - you play as if your new to football.  Then blame this on not having any confidence each time - but we tried and were just unlucky.  

Carol and Co, can you please look through the CV's and bring in a no-nonsense experienced manager to sort this rabble out.  This includes the players and the coaches, as I don't think it is just the players causing problems.  Port Vale keep trying the same experiment which previously failed again and again.  Get an up and coming manager with connections to Vale or a manager with little experience as they are the cheap option.

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

A longer presence of Gibbons and Manny on the pitch  may improve things, a new centre back would, or a defensive set-up even.

You've probably hit the nail on the head. Monty too coming back in will help us.

We do have big problems in defence but it's easy to overlook our lack of bite and physicality in midfield. And a player like Oyeleke would help us hugely. We can't play a lightweight and powder puff midfield four like we did last night again. Someone needs to put themselves about a bit and stop opponents running 20-30 yards with the ball unchallenged.

Whether the new young keeper is up to it is another matter. Maybe not. Who knows? Brown has been a star for us but looks as if he needs a rest from the firing line. It's a shame Visser is injured. I would expect us to keep Brown in and bank on his experience pulling through. It can't help when 2-3 of the lads in front of him are like rabbits in headlights.

Just now, valefan16 said:

The Scunny commentary team felt Joyce was a huge miss first half and instrumental to us getting on top in the second.

I dont base my opinion of how a player plays from what a local radio commentator says 1 how many times have they seen joyce play for them to know hes a miss. 

2) he gave the ball away 2/3 times he got it by playing <ovf censored> hopeful balls over the top over hit and nowhere near anyone. I can see why the scunthorpe commentators liked him because they got the ball back shortly after him gettinf it

Archived