onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

THE BLAME GAME

darren1810

We all have read the theories and rumours.

Askey, Sinclair, Mckirdy, Robinson, Pugh, Garlick. 

All and more mentioned in disparaging ways throughout the season.

I think last season in hindsight did us no favours just missing out and the national acclaim for our magnanimous vote to end the season early. 

The majority ( myself included) got giddy as we beat Crawley and Exeter. Immediately the cracks appeared ,3 successive games without a goal brought us down to earth. We then played ok against Salford and well against Cheltenham. Back in contention. 

Whatever has happened since Kings Lynn onwards is a complete mystery. Was obvious a few games in that all wasn't well. Regular red cards, inability to see a game out. Yet we had people continually saying ' we are only 2 points worse off than last season ' . Football doesn't work like that. 

Mckirdy and Robinson both proven scorers last season at this level , sent to Coventry. All rather mysterious why they were jettisoned. Yes neither pulled up trees and were garbage but they were singled out, why ? I can name a few others who need getting rid of .

Mitch Clark another, arguably one of the best young full backs seen at Vale in a good while, again dumped because we have Zak Mills in place keeping Gibbos shirt warm. Again a fudged explanation, the majority on here are united that Mills is truly horrific yet somebody deemed him a better fit than young Clark. Who and why ? 

Now we have Leon Legge and his cryptic tweets. A very good servant and ambassador. Obviously don't know the bloke but reading between the lines seems a good steady decent professional and person. His performances have been very poor but again he's not alone. So why has he been treated so terribly when Smith and Brisley combination is already leaky and comical. 

So we have 4 bad eggs ( faces don't fit ) or however you dress it up. Just what on earth is going on behind the scenes? 

Then we had the outrageous omission, oversight or whatever for Charlie Holland and Jinkin John last Saturday. Shame on you Port Vale.

We have ' Rugbygate ' again another laughable stick to poke at the club.

Sinclair now the fall guy for many, rightly or wrongly who knows. 

On the pitch we have sub standard squad fillers some of whom have been a fixture in the side. Hence we are sinking like a stone. 

We had a plethora of ' quality strikers ' all of us salivating at the riches on offer. 

Cullen has scored in one game , Pope has scored in 2 games, Robinson no point discussing as he's going. The saviour a young lad finding his way in the game Rodders. What a shambles.

I'm losing track of what I'm actually waffling on about really but basically what the hell is going on. What is behind all of the unrest and woeful performance. 

Things are clearly not right on and off the pitch at the moment.

Saturday is huge. We simply have to avoid defeat to keep a reasonable gap. Defeat is unthinkable given the fixtures on the horizon particularly away from home.

We need to feel pride in the shirt. It's just a recurring nightmare at the club. Last season is looking like a one off and in reality we are now a struggling side. 3 of our 4 years here have had us looking over our shoulders 

It's embarrassing and somebody needs to get a grip. 

The first baby steps are to appoint a manager.  

Rant over 

Advert

3 minutes ago, WV said:

How long before the pitchforks and offal are out for Carol? 

It goes with the territory,I’m afraid,WV.The buck always stops at the top.Carol is a great person who is trying to build a club from the ruins the two previous incumbents left.For the majority of people it’s what happens on the pitch that counts.We cannot keep changing managers though.The next appointment will be massive for the club and Carol.I hope she makes the right choice.

I don't want to blame anybody. I do want things putting right.

In order to understand this, it's important that the the club analyses what has gone wrong, particularly how things have gone very sour in a relatively short space of time.

What needs to be kept and what needs to be moved out of the picture?

Is there a problem with the org structure? What has upset the balance?

One rumour I keep hearing is that Carol is really fond of Frank Sinclair whereas literally everyone else at the club thinks he's a ****. Is some honest feedback required?

Leon was our captain and is entitled to discuss things with the training staff and management. He has been great for us. For him to be dropped like a stone he has obviously challenged them for that to happen.
A senior player is said to have reared up at the management. I think it must have been Leon.
Possibly for him being ridiculed in front of the guys and lost his cool.
For any player to rear up at the management, it is an issue with the management, not the player imo.
No player should be pushed so far they react like that, good, bad, captain or whatever.
Now we have lost a defender who we are going to need. Yeah slow af, but he has/had a role to play. A big character in the changing room for the younger guy's.
We have to ask ourselves wtf happened for him to be dropped like a stone.
He has a right to be disgruntled imo.

16 minutes ago, Santa said:

One rumour I keep hearing is that Carol is really fond of Frank Sinclair whereas literally everyone else at the club thinks he's a ****. Is some honest feedback required?

Maybe that's true but it seems too simplistic an explanation to me that but bad Frank came in and ruined a happy little club.

Wasn't Sinclair recommended to the club by Kevan? Why would Carol have the opposite opinion to everyone else? Why would the first team start playing crap and get the manager the sack because they/everyone dislikes a youth team coach?

3 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Maybe that's true but it seems too simplistic an explanation to me that but bad Frank came in and ruined a happy little club.

Wasn't Sinclair recommended to the club by Kevan? Why would Carol have the opposite opinion to everyone else? Why would the first team start playing crap and get the manager the sack because they/everyone dislikes a youth team coach?

I expect it has to be more complicated than that. But this is what needs getting to the bottom of.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a magnetic force field around Vale Park, despite different owners and different playing staff, different coaches and back room staff and different admin staff we seem to be dogged with the same problems, rumours and innuendos , mixed messages and all sorts, we never seem to shake off the problems and move on, there's always a crises ........Why ?  

9 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a magnetic force field around Vale Park, despite different owners and different playing staff, different coaches and back room staff and different admin staff we seem to be dogged with the same problems, rumours and innuendos , mixed messages and all sorts, we never seem to shake off the problems and move on, there's always a crises ........Why ?  

It's like a sitcom. Harold can never abandon Albert Steptoe. Ted can never leave Craggy Island. Peggy will never be a yellowcoat.

No matter what we do, we're trapped in a dysfunctional football club.

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

We all have read the theories and rumours.

Askey, Sinclair, Mckirdy, Robinson, Pugh, Garlick. 

All and more mentioned in disparaging ways throughout the season.

I think last season in hindsight did us no favours just missing out and the national acclaim for our magnanimous vote to end the season early. 

The majority ( myself included) got giddy as we beat Crawley and Exeter. Immediately the cracks appeared ,3 successive games without a goal brought us down to earth. We then played ok against Salford and well against Cheltenham. Back in contention. 

Whatever has happened since Kings Lynn onwards is a complete mystery. Was obvious a few games in that all wasn't well. Regular red cards, inability to see a game out. Yet we had people continually saying ' we are only 2 points worse off than last season ' . Football doesn't work like that. 

Mckirdy and Robinson both proven scorers last season at this level , sent to Coventry. All rather mysterious why they were jettisoned. Yes neither pulled up trees and were garbage but they were singled out, why ? I can name a few others who need getting rid of .

Mitch Clark another, arguably one of the best young full backs seen at Vale in a good while, again dumped because we have Zak Mills in place keeping Gibbos shirt warm. Again a fudged explanation, the majority on here are united that Mills is truly horrific yet somebody deemed him a better fit than young Clark. Who and why ? 

Now we have Leon Legge and his cryptic tweets. A very good servant and ambassador. Obviously don't know the bloke but reading between the lines seems a good steady decent professional and person. His performances have been very poor but again he's not alone. So why has he been treated so terribly when Smith and Brisley combination is already leaky and comical. 

So we have 4 bad eggs ( faces don't fit ) or however you dress it up. Just what on earth is going on behind the scenes? 

Then we had the outrageous omission, oversight or whatever for Charlie Holland and Jinkin John last Saturday. Shame on you Port Vale.

We have ' Rugbygate ' again another laughable stick to poke at the club.

Sinclair now the fall guy for many, rightly or wrongly who knows. 

On the pitch we have sub standard squad fillers some of whom have been a fixture in the side. Hence we are sinking like a stone. 

We had a plethora of ' quality strikers ' all of us salivating at the riches on offer. 

Cullen has scored in one game , Pope has scored in 2 games, Robinson no point discussing as he's going. The saviour a young lad finding his way in the game Rodders. What a shambles.

I'm losing track of what I'm actually waffling on about really but basically what the hell is going on. What is behind all of the unrest and woeful performance. 

Things are clearly not right on and off the pitch at the moment.

Saturday is huge. We simply have to avoid defeat to keep a reasonable gap. Defeat is unthinkable given the fixtures on the horizon particularly away from home.

We need to feel pride in the shirt. It's just a recurring nightmare at the club. Last season is looking like a one off and in reality we are now a struggling side. 3 of our 4 years here have had us looking over our shoulders 

It's embarrassing and somebody needs to get a grip. 

The first baby steps are to appoint a manager.  

Rant over 

You vocalise a lot of the frustrations shared by the majority of us. I wish I could offer you answers, but like you, I too am at a loss to explain the drop in form since the Kings Lynn FA cup game. As to what's going on (or not going on) behind the scenes, I guess we'll never properly know, but like a lot of posters, I am most surprised that the decision to sack Askey wasn't pre-empted by a plan for his replacement.  Whether the dumping of Frank Lampard is going to be good for Chelsea, remains to be seen, but it does appear obvious that Chelsea's ownership/management had anticipated this move and have a replacement waiting in the wings!

Now is not the time to play the blame game; its getting squeaky bum time. It really is time to make a decision on who the new manager is going to be: uncertainty is always disruptive in my experience. If its going to be DP (not my choice tbh), then say so, if we are looking to recruit a new manager (hopefully an experienced dynamic strong type of person), then say so and get it over the line quickly. I would hope that the people running the club had analysed all the applications and drawn up a shortlist for interview by now; at the very very least. Vale fans are not going to fobbed off any more with a second rate cheap appointment such as we've had ever since Saint Mickey left the club - Mickey is no longer the answer though; neither is Saint Brian or Saint John. Whatever.... just get it done; in time for Saturday is not too soon. My choices? We'll they'd cost, but I think that's what it will take to sort out this clubs trajectory. Danny Cowley (probably a pipe dream) fits the bill, or Paul Cook or Simon Grayson. I've a feeling Carol is waiting for Wycombe to do the dirty on Gareth Ainsworth given their precarious position in the Championship. They wouldn't would they? Well, it depends on just how much WW value their Championship status and if they did get relegated just what the probability is that GA would bring them back? Lets not forget WW were 8th when last season's L1 campaign was curtailed but scraped into the playoffs via the PPG rule. At this point WW had already started to drop off the pace and looked likely to fall further. This is the call the board at WW have to make. Personally I think they would be complete t***s to jettison him, buy hey, Frank Lampard? Or maybe they've their eye on someone else already with a club and are waiting until the end of the season to save parting with even more cash in the form of compensation? One thing is for sure: no 'names' on any shortlist would be interested in dropping into the National League and so 'cometh the hour'!

One thing that does really concern me at the moment is the apparent lack of transparency at the club: the silence coming out of VP is deafening and seems reminiscent of the bad old days that we thought we'd left behind.

I think one think that may have been overlooked in our recent problems is the psychological effect of behind the schemes disruptions i.e. Theo Robinson, Harry McK, and now Leon has on the rest of the playing staff. Fact: Leon was immense early season which he followed up with a couple of avoidable sendings off (should have known better) followed by a dip in form/confidence. That said, Leon has been great for us and deserves respect for that and certainly doesn't deserved to be frozen out. No doubt there are cliques at VP just like everywhere else and his treatment, and that of others, just might have disgruntled other players.

Just one more point on Leon; I thought Sinclair's comments on Leon after the game Saturday were despicable, unprofessional, and snidy and showed he should not be let near the first team again - it appeared from the outside that he wants Leon out - I think this was an attempt to undemine the respect most of us have for Leon and ensure he's shown the door. I've no axe to grind with Frank, in fact I've always thought his knowledge would be good for the Vale, but this was reprehensible.

My inane ramblings, my opinions! Yes, am very worried that we could be the next Chesterfield

The reason for all the unrest, anger and confusion is that no one from the club comes out to address these issues.

Then fans start making up unsubstantiated rumours in their place.

Why haven't we heard from Carol?

Why haven't we heard our CEO Colin Garlick?

Even an update on the managerial search would be a start! 

It's BLATENTLY obvious we're not getting a real manager in and it will be Danny Pugh until the end of the season.

Heading into non-league at this rate.

Archived