Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

9 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Oh yeh.  We can't afford a new manager so we are giving it to Pugh....  cue all the "why sack Askey if we can't afford" outrage...

I would imagine Carol is a bit shell shocked right now.  I suspect she has never experienced such skulduggery before and probably isn't too sure what to do for the best.

The reality is, she paid 5 times the worth of the club for the good of the local community and the fans.  She now needs the fans to support her, not bitch and whinge at every turn.

These are very tough times for her, she doesn't need entitled folk demanding to know what's what.

Its called Leadership.  Make a decision with conviction explain why you and see it though so everyone knows where they stand.

Advert:

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was absolutely no need to call carol a bitch. That's shameful on your part

I feel desperately desperately sorry for Carol 

Don’t see why we sacked Askey to not appoint anyone. I honestly think we’d have done better with him still in charge.

Posted Images

0 confidence means 0 results. I don't think we will be relegated.
The boys are desperate for a result which makes the play desperate and shambolic.
The long ball over the top from an attacking position to conceding a gaol in 20 seconds has cost us so many times.
Why do our defence allow that to happen time and time again? Because they have pushed up in desperation to try and get a goal.
The second half was better. They tried to be more composed and patient and create. The defence sat back a bit. It was easier for them to deal with because of the change of formation by the irons. We still almost got caught out on the odd occasion.
The defense sitting too high is the major issue for conceding goals and isnt playing to a defences strengths, especially if the mid field a pushed right up as well.
Its concerning that this hasn't been addressed and that the team are like lambs to the slaughter game after game.
Address this basic, ridiculous, error and we stand a chance. How many goals have we gifted because of this? And yet it still happens, game after game.
Our attacking threat is endless poor crosses in to the box. We are extremely easy to read and play against, devoid of anything other than extreme basics, and we don't even do that right. The management team is massively at fault.
The confidence is a massive issue. Non of the players will want to be in the situation they are in, but being pressed hard causes them to panic. I don't want to see one more goal conceded by us pushing to far up. The defence has to sit back a bit, the central midfield hold their ground.
Saturday is a massive game now. Why are the vast majority of basic games we play always massive?
Come on boys, it's basics. Stop trying so hard and trying to be Barcelona. Calm down and be composed. Read the game.
UTV

• Like 3

Advert:

First half crap.Second half better.I thought  Arlo did ok with some decent knock ons ,closing people down and was a willing runner.I don’t  think he’ll  score loads though unless he takes a step ladder on with him.Keeping the ball on the ground may help aswell.

Legges tweets are the age old trick of drawing attention to himself and also putting the managers in even more of a bad light too. He should realise it will fuel negativity and tbh I think that’s why he’s done it. 

1 hour ago, 1 said:

I would not rule out Pope being manager, Pugh assistant manager next season.

Pugh may just be treading water until then. 

Yates as his assistant?Go and have a lie down ,1.😉

1 hour ago, Andyregs said:

When Adam’s first came to manage us, he said his first job was to stop us losing, and he went 5 at the back. And as we grew in confidence, he went to 4-4-2. Maybe there is something in that. 

4-5-1 would be my option to stop conceding.We are so easy to walk through at the moment.Make other teams work for goals.A few 0-0s wouldn’t be so bad.Concede now and you can see the will to live draining out of the players.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

The reality is, she paid 5 times the worth of the club for the good of the local community and the fans.  She now needs the fans to support her, not bitch and whinge at every turn.

These are very tough times for her, she doesn't need entitled folk demanding to know what's what.

Nonsense. There is nothing going on at the moment “for the good of local community and fans” when the club is getting stuffed week in week out. 

Carol and Kevin bought the club at the amount agreed with Smurfwaite. If I was a businessman I would have waited until the club was in admin again and snapped it up cheap, even if Smurfwaite had sent us down via a points deduction.

People who pay over the odds for things always end up in trouble, unless Carol had a plan to get the club to make more money, which at the moment isn’t happening. If someone buys something 5 times its worth with massive ongoing overheads, they are not a community saviour, they are simply stupid. 

Say I buy a Ferrari worth £50,000 for £500,000 because the previous owner was leaving it to rust and it was a rare asset. If I then use that Ferrari even though it isn’t the appropriate means, to deliver meals to impoverished children, does that mean it is ok because the community benefits? Of course not, you still have an over paid for, expensive car that needs more money to keep going and cost way too much in the first place.

The only man who has done well at Vale in recent times has been a Mr Norman Smurfwaite. He well over £5m from the club and is no doubt cackling with glee at what he managed. 

They are tough times for all fans having to watch this garbage. People are completely entitled to be critical. Fans ultimately own this club, as Smurfwaite found out. No fan support, no club. 

Advert:

I suggested 352 or 532 last game and previously. I think it suits us especially when we’re leaking goals. We need a CB in before the next game but for me this is the way to go. We seem to play better when the wing backs are in form. 

brown

gibbo. Smith. New cb. Brisley. Monty

Taylor. Conlon. Worrall. 

Guthrie. Bailey. 

not convinced with Cullen, Rodney and pope injured so give the young lad a go. 

• Like 1

It needs basics. We have the positive of key players returning in Gibbons, Manny and Monty...

If Dave is only a short term injury having those back is massive. Gibbons aside that attack of Manny, Woz, Dave and Manny pushing forward absolutely took Bolton apart... but it’s so rare to get them all fit!

The fixtures after Saturday look awful but as Vale are probably suit us as we can’t break teams down who sit deep, Scunthorpe did us twice by nicking the lead and parking the bus like San Marino would against Brazil.

The issue is when we concede first teams sit back and we huff and puff, we are best against sides more open against us.

Unless we sort the defence out we will struggle attacking wise to claw back the initiative.

We’ve got to try and go back to how we were, maybe the returning players will help that and the lack of Tuesday games going forward may help with the injury issues.

If we are going to get no permanent appointment in until the summer I would seriously consider an experienced head to come in as interim to try and avoid the drop. Micky Adams the obvious candidate for a 4 month stint maybe. At the moment we must stay up by hook of by crook and can’t rely on the hope the National League is cancelled and no relegation/promotion is agreed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

4-5-1 would be my option to stop conceding.We are so easy to walk through at the moment.Make other teams work for goals.A few 0-0s wouldn’t be so bad.Concede now and you can see the will to live draining out of the players.

Nil nil  on saturday for me would be bad just look at those games after, where are those points going to come from with the exception of maybe Stevenage at home.  For me we have been playing 4-5-1 bar a few matches and still conceding loads of goals.

• Like 1

Advert:

42 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

I’d argue that is what we have been playing. Striker is always isolated. I think we have the right personnel, especially out wide to play 3-5-2/5-3-2. With gibbons and monty. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Nonsense. There is nothing going on at the moment “for the good of local community and fans” when the club is getting stuffed week in week out. 

Carol and Kevin bought the club at the amount agreed with Smurfwaite. If I was a businessman I would have waited until the club was in admin again and snapped it up cheap, even if Smurfwaite had sent us down via a points deduction.

People who pay over the odds for things always end up in trouble, unless Carol had a plan to get the club to make more money, which at the moment isn’t happening. If someone buys something 5 times its worth with massive ongoing overheads, they are not a community saviour, they are simply stupid. 

Say I buy a Ferrari worth £50,000 for £500,000 because the previous owner was leaving it to rust and it was a rare asset. If I then use that Ferrari even though it isn’t the appropriate means, to deliver meals to impoverished children, does that mean it is ok because the community benefits? Of course not, you still have an over paid for, expensive car that needs more money to keep going and cost way too much in the first place.

The only man who has done well at Vale in recent times has been a Mr Norman Smurfwaite. He well over £5m from the club and is no doubt cackling with glee at what he managed. 

They are tough times for all fans having to watch this garbage. People are completely entitled to be critical. Fans ultimately own this club, as Smurfwaite found out. No fan support, no club. 

Were you saying all this rubbish last season?  I don't remember.

You think the back three without Leon is strong enough to communicate and move as one? I'm not so sure, but I would love to see 3/5/2

I’d argue that is what we have been playing. Striker is always isolated. I think we have the right personnel, especially out wide to play 3-5-2/5-3-2. With gibbons and monty.