Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Have we ever had a worse back line than the one that started recently? Mills, Smith, Brisley and Fitzpatrick. Good God. It's like having the Chuckle brothers and Laurel and Hardy at the back.

Edited by TylerB

Advert:

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was absolutely no need to call carol a bitch. That's shameful on your part

I feel desperately desperately sorry for Carol 

Don’t see why we sacked Askey to not appoint anyone. I honestly think we’d have done better with him still in charge.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Sinclair has done a very good post match interview tonight. Pretty much agree with everything he said. 

I thought his assessment was spot on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I thought his assessment was spot on. 

What did he say, we  were sh it?  Any idea what the plan is to do something about it?

Edited by toyahw

26 minutes ago, toyahw said:

What? We were crap?

Yeah basically said first half we were really poor, 2nd in every aspect. Mentioned poor defending, heading, tackling ect. Said they had to get angry with them at half time, better 2nd half but tough 2-0 down, happy with the subs. Pretty much spot on. 

Said they need to get back to basics. They’re trying to play at the wrong times and in the wrong areas so they will be focussing on that this week. 

edit. Thought gibbo was excellent and exactly how they want players to play (effort and commitment) wanted to start him but Dosent want him to get another injury 

Edited by valiant_593

Advert:

7 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yeah basically said first half we were really poor, 2nd in every aspect. Mentioned poor defending, heading, tackling ect. Said they had to get angry with them at half time, better 2nd half but tough 2-0 down, happy with the subs. Pretty much spot on. 

Said they need to get back to basics. They’re trying to play at the wrong times and in the wrong areas so they will be focussing on that this week. 

edit. Thought gibbo was excellent and exactly how they want players to play (effort and commitment) wanted to start him but Dosent want him to get another injury 

So why were we so poor first half?  Surely it is the managements job to make sure we aren't? 

They’re trying to play at the wrong times and in the wrong areas

All the wrong notes - André Previn on The Morecambe and Wise Show 1971 Christmas special - YouTube

1 hour ago, butt lane vale fan said:
1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:
Check what I have been saying since November.  A half smart 5 year old could have worked it out.

I think the majority know Sinclair is the issue here. Why, who knows, but clearly Legges tweet show players hate the bloke

Why? Pugh is the (caretaker) manager. He is the one who picks the team.

5 hours ago, valefan79 said:

It's not the formation, it's the players, with an exception of Conlon and to an extent Worrall at the moment, they are just rubbish.  We played 4-4-2 against an awful Grimsby team and got a win, the next 3 games we went 4-3-3 and looked really poor, going back to a more defensive approach, I would still have zero confidence in this spineless bunch to get anything even on Saturday.

It's basically the same set of players, allowing for injuries and a couple of additions, who did well at the beginning of the season playing a 4-3-3, they don't become bad players overnight. Whatever has happened at the moment Vale don't appear to be playing as a unit and are far too open at the back especially in a 4-4-2. Vale continue to be caught by the long punt downfield, whatever system is played, leaving a 1:1 or a 2:2 which Vale's defenders can't cope with.

The first principle of a football team is to be difficult to beat and then build from there, the starting 11 tonight playing 4-4-2 was too open and Vale had lost after ca 30mins.

• Like 2

Well having watched all the game here are my thought first 24 minutes well in the game the ball pinging around and nothing dropping for the Vale as usual which is annoying then low and behold a long ball and poor play from a certain somebody and we were 1 down which obviously gave a limited but well drilled and excellently organised side there lift off as for Vale it was the kick in the teeth then for about ten mins we were all over the place resulting in yet another poor give the opposition a goal started in the middle of the field like sat with Smith being taken out the play through his own ineptitude ,then I thought we might collapse but then Cullen mis cued a decent chance wide very wide .

So on to the second half and a more in terms of passing the ball to a team mate better performance resulting in a chance for Amoo which he should have buried .

We continued to go  forwards but to no avail as the final ball in no one was gambling get in there and when they did the cross the final ball was not of a standard required so even though we had 63 per cent possession and I felt we deserved something from the game the two first half giveaways roared its ugly head and we ended up with nothing. 

Where do we go from here is anyone's guess but I will tell you this for nothing between them Walsall and Scunthorpe have had about 6 goal attempts and scored 5 over the two games in our recent games and that to me tells me we have a very soft underbelly until you get rid of that soft underbelly what's going change .

Get rid Scunthorpe players did the basics some of ours are not fit play for the George and dragon .

As for Sinclair listened to his interview very spot on assessment of game ,now along with pugh either go back to the jobs you were doing when Askey was here or instill a winning mentality amongst the players or do the decent thing and tell Carol you not up to the job which based on last two defensive performances when you were defenders yourselves have being a disgrace .

• Like 2

Advert:

Saturday is massive. We need to win to take the pressure off a bit and create a healthy gap between us and the bottom three teams. 

Come on Vale. Defend properly as a team and we can beat Southend. 

UTV! 

I think the majority know Sinclair is the issue here. Why, who knows, but clearly Legges tweet show players hate the bloke
But they didnt like Askey either. Are we not seeing a pattern?

There is far too many wrong uns in that dressing room.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, osprey said:

We have to stop letting goals in, that’s the first priority. Don’t care if it looks grim and we get a run of 0-0s.

Build from that

When Adam’s first came to manage us, he said his first job was to stop us losing, and he went 5 at the back. And as we grew in confidence, he went to 4-4-2. Maybe there is something in that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

When Adam’s first came to manage us, he said his first job was to stop us losing, and he went 5 at the back. And as we grew in confidence, he went to 4-4-2. Maybe there is something in that. 

Received wisdom surely?

That's how Scunthorpe are approaching things.

Advert:

There was a position on the official website for an unpaid student tactical analyst (can't remember the title exactly) - and that collated information was sent to the people who decide on first team tactics. Designed as a "route into football".

This is the club's direction at the moment.

I would not rule out Pope being manager, Pugh assistant manager next season.

Pugh may just be treading water until then. 

Edited by 1

I would not rule out Pope being manager, Pugh assistant manager next season.
Pugh may just be treading water until then. 
Sounds like a better option at least.
  • Like 1